If you’re concerned about your heart, then you should consider drinking hibiscus tea.
Turns out, hibiscus tea is just as effective as hypertension drugs when it comes to lowering your blood pressure. And it does so without any negative side-effects such as, lack of strength, impotence, fatal liver damage and so on.
Historically, folk medicine has used hibiscus for the treatment of high blood pressure, liver diseases, and fevers. The tea’s benefits were first confirmed in 1996, when researchers in Nigeria showed that hibiscus flowers reduced blood pressure in laboratory animals. (1)
Then in 2008, researchers in Iran showed the same benefit in people (2).
Another study published in 2010, showed that anthocyanins and other antioxidants present in hibiscus tea worked together to protect blood vessels from damage and becoming narrow. (3)
It’s recommended to drink three cups daily to get the full benefits of the hibiscus.
How Does Hibiscus Lower Blood Pressure?
It has diuretic properties, it opens the arteries, and it appears to act as a natural angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor, which means it slows the release of hormones that constrict blood vessels. (4)
This is exactly what the prescription combo of lisinopril and hydrochlorothiazide does, but to a milder degree and without side effects.
In addition, hibiscus boosts immune function and provides valuable antioxidants.
Hibiscus Tea Recipe
Here’s a simple recipe for a delicious and refreshing hibiscus tea.
- 3 cups of water
- 3 tbsp dried or 4-5 tbsp fresh hibiscus flowers
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- juice of 1 orange
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add the cinnamon stick and hibiscus.
- Let it steep for 15-20 minutes. (a minimum of 6-10 minutes is required for the tea to be effective)
- Strain the tea.
- Add the honey.
While hibiscus tea is good at reducing blood pressure it’s also highly acidic, hence the reason why it’s so sour. (5)
In fact, if you drink any kind of tea (citrus, green, dark, herbal), make sure to swish your mouth with water to remove the acid from your teeth. (6)
Another more effective method would be to use coconut oil instead of just plain water.
- 8 Delicious Superfoods That Can Help You Manage High Blood Pressure
High blood pressure affects approximately one in every three American adults – about 70 million people. According to the US …
- This Is What Happens To Your Blood Pressure When You Use THIS Instead Of Salt…
Have high blood pressure? Here’s a new way to fight it: Add more herbs and spices to your food. This …
- What Your Blood Pressure Should Be According To Your Age
High blood pressure may be a common condition, but it should never be taken lightly. Even though nearly half of …
- Natural Compound Found in Celery Offers “Promising Results” To People With High Blood Pressure
Dr. Michael Murray, a leading authority on natural medicine, says a compound found in celery seed extract offers promising benefits to people …
- 7 Lifestyle Choices That Can Help Lower High Blood Pressure
High blood pressure is a common health condition in the United States and it comes with a whole set of …
- How To Use Acupressure To Reduce High Blood Pressure In 5 Minutes Without Drugs
Although your blood keeps you alive and is rushing through your body constantly, it’s easy to forget that it’s even …
- 5 Natural Spices That Fight High Blood Pressure
There are many combined reasons why a person can develop high blood pressure, and not one specific identifiable cause. The …
- Got High Blood Pressure? Try This 2-Ingredient Tea!
Blood pressure is the amount of force that pushes against artery walls to get blood through the body. If the …
- 8 Ways High Blood Pressure Can Harm Your Health
Nearly 1 in 3 adults in the United States has high blood pressure, and it’s especially prevalent in women. Many …
- A Healing Cucumber and Garlic Salad: Lowers Cholesterol and Regulates High Blood Pressure
According to the Mayo Clinic, high blood pressure is a common condition in which the long-term force of the blood …
- Researchers Come Across Very “Appealing” Juice…What it Does to Your Blood Pressure is Astounding!
Are you looking to replace blood pressure-lowering drugs with natural, diet-based solutions? Complimenting past findings, recent research reveals that drinking …
- 5 Foods That Can Help Lower Blood Pressure (No. 3 Is Also Great For Athletes!)
High blood pressure is known as the ‘silent killer’ because it generally has no symptoms but if left unchecked can …
- Daily Consumption of This Purple Powder Outperforms Pharmaceuticals In Reducing Blood Pressure
Blueberries have been championed for their high antioxidant potential and anti-inflammatory properties. They are recognized as a good source of …
- Regular Mid-Day Naps Can Help Lower Blood Pressure And Decrease Your Risk of Heart Attacks
New research revealed at the European Society of Cardiology conference in London, England(1) has shown that a regular mid-day nap …
- Coconut Water Found To Lower Blood Pressure By As Much As 71% In Study Participants
Coconut water is not only delicious, but it could be a viable natural solution to lowering your blood pressure. One …