If you’re concerned about your heart, then you should consider drinking hibiscus tea.
Turns out, hibiscus tea is just as effective as hypertension drugs when it comes to lowering your blood pressure. And it does so without any negative side-effects such as, lack of strength, impotence, fatal liver damage and so on.
Historically, folk medicine has used hibiscus for the treatment of high blood pressure, liver diseases, and fevers. The tea’s benefits were first confirmed in 1996, when researchers in Nigeria showed that hibiscus flowers reduced blood pressure in laboratory animals. (1)
Then in 2008, researchers in Iran showed the same benefit in people (2).
Another study published in 2010, showed that anthocyanins and other antioxidants present in hibiscus tea worked together to protect blood vessels from damage and becoming narrow. (3)
It’s recommended to drink three cups daily to get the full benefits of the hibiscus.
How Does Hibiscus Lower Blood Pressure?
It has diuretic properties, it opens the arteries, and it appears to act as a natural angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor, which means it slows the release of hormones that constrict blood vessels. (4)
This is exactly what the prescription combo of lisinopril and hydrochlorothiazide does, but to a milder degree and without side effects.
In addition, hibiscus boosts immune function and provides valuable antioxidants.
Hibiscus Tea Recipe
Here’s a simple recipe for a delicious and refreshing hibiscus tea.
- 3 cups of water
- 3 tbsp dried or 4-5 tbsp fresh hibiscus flowers
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- juice of 1 orange
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add the cinnamon stick and hibiscus.
- Let it steep for 15-20 minutes. (a minimum of 6-10 minutes is required for the tea to be effective)
- Strain the tea.
- Add the honey.
While hibiscus tea is good at reducing blood pressure it’s also highly acidic, hence the reason why it’s so sour. (5)
In fact, if you drink any kind of tea (citrus, green, dark, herbal), make sure to swish your mouth with water to remove the acid from your teeth. (6)
Another more effective method would be to use coconut oil instead of just plain water.
- Spray This Oil And You Will Never See Mold Again
Mold is everywhere, whether you can see it or not. These microscopic fungi flourish not only in the bathroom but …
- Science Proves Himalayan Salt Lamps Fight Anxiety and Depression
If you’ve already made the switch to Himalayan salt in the kitchen, why not take it a step further? Large …
- Avoid Fleas and Ticks Forever With This Natural Remedy!
Every pet owner knows how annoying fleas can be. These minuscule insects can multiply in days and easily infest your …
- 9 Exercises To Burn Abdominal Fat
What are the best exercises to burn belly fat? A common question in the world of fitness. Belly fat is …
- 9 Signs You’re Overstressed (And Don’t Know It)
Countless studies show that stress is at actually at the root of most disease. In fact, 77 percent of us …
- Your Body Is Acidic. Here’s What You NEED To Do (The Real Truth Behind Cancer…)
Ever heard of Dr. Otto H. Warburg? Unless you or your family member has suffered from cancer and tried to …
- Take THIS Before Bed to Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat While You Sleep
Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat It’s normal for your weight to fluctuate by a few pounds, even when you exercise …
- The EXACT Amount of Epsom Salts You Should Be Adding to Your Bath Based on Your Weight
Epsom salt may look like salt, but it’s actually magnesium sulfate, a mineral compound (1). Epsom salt can be used …
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …