If you’re concerned about your heart, then you should consider drinking hibiscus tea.
Turns out, hibiscus tea is just as effective as hypertension drugs when it comes to lowering your blood pressure. And it does so without any negative side-effects such as, lack of strength, impotence, fatal liver damage and so on.
Historically, folk medicine has used hibiscus for the treatment of high blood pressure, liver diseases, and fevers. The tea’s benefits were first confirmed in 1996, when researchers in Nigeria showed that hibiscus flowers reduced blood pressure in laboratory animals. (1)
Then in 2008, researchers in Iran showed the same benefit in people (2).
Another study published in 2010, showed that anthocyanins and other antioxidants present in hibiscus tea worked together to protect blood vessels from damage and becoming narrow. (3)
It’s recommended to drink three cups daily to get the full benefits of the hibiscus.
How Does Hibiscus Lower Blood Pressure?
It has diuretic properties, it opens the arteries, and it appears to act as a natural angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor, which means it slows the release of hormones that constrict blood vessels. (4)
This is exactly what the prescription combo of lisinopril and hydrochlorothiazide does, but to a milder degree and without side effects.
In addition, hibiscus boosts immune function and provides valuable antioxidants.
Hibiscus Tea Recipe
Here’s a simple recipe for a delicious and refreshing hibiscus tea.
- 3 cups of water
- 3 tbsp dried or 4-5 tbsp fresh hibiscus flowers
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- juice of 1 orange
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add the cinnamon stick and hibiscus.
- Let it steep for 15-20 minutes. (a minimum of 6-10 minutes is required for the tea to be effective)
- Strain the tea.
- Add the honey.
While hibiscus tea is good at reducing blood pressure it’s also highly acidic, hence the reason why it’s so sour. (5)
In fact, if you drink any kind of tea (citrus, green, dark, herbal), make sure to swish your mouth with water to remove the acid from your teeth. (6)
Another more effective method would be to use coconut oil instead of just plain water.
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Add 2 Tbsp. Of This Coconut Oil Mixture To Your Morning Coffee To Burn A TON Of Calories
Do you drink coffee every morning? If yes, the following coffee creamer recipe is definitely something you’ll want to try (if …
- The 5-Minute Yoga Routine That Can Help Restore Thyroid Levels
Yoga entails more than black stretchy pants and planks. It’s an Eastern practice that goes back thousands of years, an …
- How To Use Himalayan Salt Lamps For Better Air, Sleep And Mental Clarity
Himalayan crystal salt is the purest salt available on earth. Hence why it is used a lot for salt lamps. …
- The Real Truth: Antidepressants Actually Deplete These 3 Crucial Nutrients for the Brain
Antidepressants are one of the most prescribed medications out there. But how much do you know about the side effects …
- Sleepless Children Are Aging Faster At A Cellular Level
The importance of sleep is often overlooked but it really can’t be over-emphasized. While you sleep, much of your body …
- How To Grow Aloe Vera At Home (And Health Benefits)
Aloe Vera is a member of the Old World succulent group known as Aloaceae. The plant has numerous healing properties …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …
- 10 High-Protein Vegetables You Need to Start Eating Today
Protein is the building blocks of muscles as well as bone, skin, hair, and nearly every other part of your …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- The Many Benefits of Coriander Seed Oil and How to Use It
Coriander is a savory spice used extensively in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It is the seed of the cilantro …
- 4 Diet Mistakes You’re Making that Only Create More Belly Fat
Many people (especially men) find that they accumulate abdominal fat that’s very hard to get rid of. This is especially …
- Teen Invents Bra That Can Save Millions After Mom Nearly Dies Of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is one of the main health concerns that women face in this day and age. For many, learning of …
- They Said Hydrogen Peroxide Was Great, But They Didn’t Tell You This
Hydrogen peroxide is perhaps best known for its ability to clean up wounds. But, as this article will attest to, …
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids Fight Inflammation The Same Way as Cannabis (Via Cannabinoids)
Cannabinoids are powerful healing compounds found in cannabis that bind to cannabinoid receptors in the brain and gut (1). Other …