The American Heart Association releases heart disease stats annually (1).
Cardiovascular disease accounts for about 1/3 of the death toll across the globe. One American dies from this about every 40 seconds.
Various heart diseases claimed more than 17 million lives from the world last year. The report goes on to estimate by 2030 they will be claiming 23.6 million lives annually.
5 Lifestyle Changes To Prevent Heart Attacks
One study done at the Karolinska Institute found that developing the following five healthy habits could prevent nearly 80 percent of first-time heart attacks in men (2):
- A healthy diet
- Being physically active (walking/bicycling ≥40 min/day and exercising ≥1 h/week)
- Healthy waist circumference (waist circumference <95 cm or 37.4 inches)
- Moderate alcohol consumption (10 to 30 g/day)
- No smoking
“It is not surprising that healthy lifestyle choices would lead to a reduction in heart attacks,” said Agneta Akesson, the lead researcher for the study. “What is surprising is how drastically the risk dropped due to these factors.”
Physical Activity is Key
The AHA has declared that living a sedentary life not only drives the risk of cardiovascular disease up, but it is a risk that can be avoided in nearly all situations (3).
The Department of Cardiovascular Diseases at the Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans examined the outcomes of using cardiac rehabilitation as well as physical activity as not only a secondary prevention method, but as the primary.
The study revealed much more than the positive heart health effects of physical activity.
Exercise was shown to reduce plasma lipid levels and correct obesity indices. It also improved glucose metabolism, reduced inflammation, and enhanced the psychological health of CHD patients.
The investigation demonstrated a 20% to 25% reduction in chief CV mortality and morbidity. The most important finding perhaps was the fact that this method is overlooked and underused.
In conclusion, the report stated that exercise regimens for heart patients should not be extreme as this may increase their risks.
Another study showed evidence that routine physical activity for preventing cardiovascular disease is prodigious (4).
The Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences released findings that exercise strengthens skeletal muscle functional capacity and lowers resistance. It enhanced the capacity of intrinsic pumping of the heart. The evidence strongly suggests that routine exercise can reduce or even partially restore dysfunction within the heart (5).
Treating Food As Medicine
A Lyon heart Study examined subjects between the ages of 50-80 and had been previously diagnosed with myocardial infarctions.
Those who were placed on a Mediterranean diet presented with a 50% to 70% reduction of recurrent cardiovascular disorders.
Scientists give a large portion of the credit for this to the consistent use olive oil in Mediterranean recipes. Organic virgin olive oil provides:
- Lipophilic Compounds – Dissolves fats and lipids.
- A-tocopherol – Vitamin E with powerful antioxidants.
- Phenolic components – Antioxidant enrichment with lipid destroying actions.
- Antioxidant Properties – Reverse oxidative stress.
- Anti-inflammatory Characteristics – Reduces internal and external edema.
Avoiding Self-Inflicting Poisons
The Bureau of Metabolism published a report concerning the effects of various lifestyle components on disease (7).
It was reiterated that smoking cigarettes significantly increases the risks of developing hypertension; stroke; peripheral vascular disorders; and coronary artery disease.
It has also been linked to endothelial inflammation and dysfunction, or a disruption of the relaxing and constricting abilities within arteries.
This leads to thrombus formation and incites atherosclerotic plaque. A link has also been drawn between the nicotine and carbon monoxide in tobacco smoke and various cardiovascular diseases.
Modifiable Lifestyle Choices to Promote Heart Health
- Get some sort of physical activity, such as walking, at least 25 minutes every alternate day.
- Avoid all types of tobacco smoke.
- Eat fresh organic foods such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains with the least amount of processing possible.
- Avoid saturated fats, trans-fats, processed sugars, and enriched grains.
- Opt for lean meats and fish which are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Incorporate superfoods such as avocados, nuts, seeds, and legumes into routine dietary intake.
- Consider starting a small garden which provides physical activity as well as fresh, organic foods.
- 6 Heart-Healthy Foods That Will Help Keep Your Arteries Clean
There are many risk factors at play when it comes to the development of cardiovascular disease – and our understanding …
- Juicing May Be The Answer To Many Of Your Chronic Health Problems
The videos below are amazing and may change your life. Juicing is a common sense approach to giving your body …
- Say Goodbye To Ear Infection! Here’s How to Cure An Ear Infection Naturally in Just 1 Day!
Ear infections are one of the most common ailment children and adults suffer chronically. This is especially true for people …
- Bionic Ear Delivers DNA to Regrow Auditory Nerve Cells
It’s been many years since the $6-million man showed us what technology can do for the human body; at the …
- 13 Detox Foods To Flush Out Toxins, Fight Cancer Cells And Relentlessly Hunt Free Radicals
You body is constantly filtering your food and your blood to remove toxins and waste. This automated self-cleaning process helps keep your body healthy and …
- How To Supercharge Apple Cider Vinegar With Turmeric, Ginger, Lemon And Garlic
Getting the cold or the flu can really take a toll on your health. Worse yet, infection quickly spreads throughout …
- 4 Powerful Herbs for Natural Pain Relief
Before the advent of modern medicine, people used herbs and spices to effectively treat everything from colds to cancer. What …
- Is Your Poop Normal? Here’s the Number 1 Reason to Check Your Number 2
Here’s the poop. What goes in must come out, one way or another. What your body doesn’t burn for energy …
- 6 Natural Strategies To Help Heal Gum Disease Within a Week or Less
Gingivitis is the mildest form of periodontal disease. Untreated gingivitis can advance to periodontitis, to which there are many degrees. …
- 4 Ways To Keep Your Thyroid Gland Healthy
Many people have questions when it comes to the purpose and function of the thyroid. This small gland can have …
- Terrifying Warning For All Mums of Boys This Summer
It’s that time of year again! Warm, sunny days spent poolside or playing on a sandy beach. It’s what kids …
- How To Get Wrinkles Out Of Clothes Without Using An Iron – 10 Simple Tricks!
With our increasingly busy schedules and “always on the go” attitude, we can often find our favorite outfit looking a …
- Want To Harvest Organic Potatoes In Your Own Backyard In Just 35 Days? Here’s How!
Potatoes are one of the easiest crops to grow. Even the most inhospitable soils will gladly incubate a potato or two, …
- 7 Surprising Sore Throat Remedies Hiding In Your Pantry
From air pollution that acts as an irritant to allergies and the frustrating common cold, the causes for developing a …
- 8 Subtle Signs of Heart Disease That Are Often Missed
Heart disease isn’t always as obvious as we would like to think, and even doctors can miss out on some …