If you didn’t already know, cinnamon is often used in weight loss recipes.
And the reason for that is because eating cinnamon helps increase insulin sensitivity.
This in turn helps stabilize blood sugar levels and reduce cravings; two very important things needed for long-term weight loss.
Essentially, when you eat food, your pancreas secretes insulin in response to the elevation of sugar in your blood.
Insulin is a hormone that signals your cells to absorb the high sugar content in your blood in order to bring it back to normal levels.
In short, insulin sensitivity is good, while insulin resistance is bad. The better your insulin sensitivity, the more sugar is absorbed by your muscles, which can be used for energy instead of being stored as fat. (1)
Why Do I Need To Boil My Cinnamon?
A big danger from taking too much cinnamon is that it’s been linked with an increase risk of liver damage due to a substance called coumarin.
There are two ways to reduce your exposure to coumarin while using cinnamon for weight loss.
- Avoid cassia cinnamon or chinese cinnamon and use Ceylon cinnamon instead (2,3)
- Boil your cinnamon
If you can’t afford ceylon cinnamon which is more expensive, here’s a simple trick you can use to make cassia cinnamon safer.
- Steep cassia cinnamon in boiling water for 30 minutes.
- Pour the cinnamon-infused water into a cup using a paper coffee filter as a way of extracting the coumarin.
- Let it cool and enjoy!
The active ingredient in cinnamon that is responsible for helping you lose weight is water soluble.
Therefore, pouring the water through a paper coffee filter helps extract the coumarin while letting the good stuff pass through. (4)
- Guaranteed! Whiten Your Yellow Teeth In Less Than 2 Minutes!
Every picture in every magazine seems to show people with beautifully aligned, white teeth. While Photoshop likely has a hand …
- 2-Ingredient Remedy To Clear Up Cholesterol Buildup From Blood Vessels In Just 40 Days
“Cholesterol” is probably the most demonized and misunderstood terms in the health world. With the proliferation of cholesterol-moderating drugs and …
- Pay Close Attention To These Numbers When Buying Fruit!
Have you ever wondered what the numbers on some of the foods you buy really mean? It’s actually a lot more …
- 8 Beers That You Should Stop Drinking Immediately
Everything in moderation. Take beer, for example. A cold brew on a hot day can be refreshing and a nice …
- 3 Easy Homemade Remedies That You Can Use Immediately To Beat The Bloat
Do you ever feel bloated after a meal or maybe it feels like you have “food baby?” If that’s the case, here’s three …
- 14 Houseplants That Thrive In Low Light
While most plants crave plenty of natural light, for indoor plant lovers, it’s not always feasible to have these sun-loving …
- Cancer-Stricken Woman Gets Layoff Letter After Boss Learns She’s Fighting the Disease
This story sends a pall over the whole medical profession. It also re-affirms faith in love. Carol Jumper had worked …
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Don’t Need To Be Afraid of Cholesterol
Cholesterol may have a pretty bad reputation, but that’s mainly because people don’t understand it. Sure, high concentrations of bad …
- How to Make Ginger Water to Treat Migraines, Heartburn, Joint and Muscle Pain
Flavored waters are the new health craze—and for good reason. Not only is water essential for hydration and flushing toxins …
- How to Make Your Own Air Freshener That Doesn’t Cause Cancer or Disrupt Your Hormones
There is nothing like the smell of fresh, clean spring air after a long, cold winter. Spring makes you want …
- 6 Powerful Ways to Boost Your Magnesium Levels
To keep your body strong and healthy, make sure to pay attention to your intake of all essential nutrients. A …
- This is What Happens to Your Brain When You Learn to Play a Musical Instrument
There is no doubt that playing a musical instrument such as the piano or guitar can be a fun hobby …
- Losing Control Over These 3 Emotions Is a Sure Way To Kill Your Brain
Strokes are frightening, no matter how you look at it. The third leading cause of death in the United States …
- Your Lymphatic System: The Forgotten Hero
Did you know that we are exposed to 82,000 different toxins, chemically-based products and processed foods in our environment weekly? …
- What Skin Cancer Survivors Tell You about Sun Safety
As April rolls in, you’ll begin to see summer supplies fill store shelves in preparation for the warmer months. Tanning …