If you didn’t already know, cinnamon is often used in weight loss recipes.
And the reason for that is because eating cinnamon helps increase insulin sensitivity.
This in turn helps stabilize blood sugar levels and reduce cravings; two very important things needed for long-term weight loss.
Essentially, when you eat food, your pancreas secretes insulin in response to the elevation of sugar in your blood.
Insulin is a hormone that signals your cells to absorb the high sugar content in your blood in order to bring it back to normal levels.
In short, insulin sensitivity is good, while insulin resistance is bad. The better your insulin sensitivity, the more sugar is absorbed by your muscles, which can be used for energy instead of being stored as fat. (1)
Why Do I Need To Boil My Cinnamon?
A big danger from taking too much cinnamon is that it’s been linked with an increase risk of liver damage due to a substance called coumarin.
There are two ways to reduce your exposure to coumarin while using cinnamon for weight loss.
- Avoid cassia cinnamon or chinese cinnamon and use Ceylon cinnamon instead (2,3)
- Boil your cinnamon
If you can’t afford ceylon cinnamon which is more expensive, here’s a simple trick you can use to make cassia cinnamon safer.
- Steep cassia cinnamon in boiling water for 30 minutes.
- Pour the cinnamon-infused water into a cup using a paper coffee filter as a way of extracting the coumarin.
- Let it cool and enjoy!
The active ingredient in cinnamon that is responsible for helping you lose weight is water soluble.
Therefore, pouring the water through a paper coffee filter helps extract the coumarin while letting the good stuff pass through. (4)
- Easy DIY Treatment for Tightening Your Skin After Losing Weight or Childbirth
60% of new moms struggle to get back to their “pre-pregnancy body” (1). Many of those women deal with loose and …
- Stress Less: How to Eliminate Stress in Your Work Life
What can you do when work stress feels overwhelming and uncontrollable? There are many steps you can take to eliminate …
- Numbers of Lawsuits Skyrocketing Against “The Most Financially Successful Drug of All Time”
Maybe it’s a coincidence. But probably not. After the patent for Lipitor expired in 2011, the Food and Drug Administration …
- 5 Anti-Aging Herbs To Keep Your Liver Young And Happy (Just Drink Them As Tea!)
Did you know that your liver is the second largest organ in your body? In fact, it’s one of the …
- 5 Pharmaceutical Drugs that Immediately Destroy Your Health
Pharmaceutical drugs have their place in human health but really only in certain circumstances. We have become a society of …
- 5 Simple Steps to Reverse the Effects of Aging
Why is it that some people seem to age slowly and gracefully, while others look haggard at a relatively young …
- Eat Better, And Your Friends Will, Too!
If you’ve ever tried to lose weight, you probably know how hard it can be to stick to your eating …
- It Just Keeps on Getting Weirder. Coke Is Going To Try And Sell You Premium Milk.
Soda sales are falling, so Coca-Cola is getting ready to sell us a new drink. You may have heard of …
- Woman Overcomes Asthma and Allergies with Raw Food Diet
When Jenni, who worked in a factory in her late teens, was convinced that she was having a heart attack, …
- Big Pharma Is Synthesizing Cannabis To Make A Patent-able Pill And It’s Killing People
Cannabis is conjuring up a storm in the world of natural medicine. That’s because cannabis contains healthy compounds called endocannabinoids. …
- The Scary Reason Europe Just Recalled This Whisky
A popular brand of alcohol in both the U.S. and overseas has recently been recalled for an unnerving reason… it’s content …
- How To Use White Vinegar To Remove Pesticides From Your Fruits And Vegetables
Almost 65% of produce samples analyzed by the U.S Department of Agriculture have been shown to be positive for pesticides. Nobody likes …
- Professor of Plant Biology Destroys Roundup in 3 Minutes
Who is Dr. Don M. Huber? For 50 years, he’s been a scientist studying plant diseases in the U.S. and …
- You’ll Never Use Cancer-Causing Dryer Sheets Again After Seeing These DIY Dryer Balls
A few years ago, fabric softener and dryer sheets were considered essential tools in your cleaning routine. However, there has …
- Mothers May Need Up to One Year to Recover After Delivery
For many new mothers, the standard 6-week to 2-month recovery time allotted to most women after childbirth is insufficient. While some …