Sleep is important. It’s during those hours of slumber that your body undergoes regenerative processes that are necessary to health and restoration.
It’s so vital to your health that the average person will spend a third of his/her life sleeping!
And not getting enough quality sleep can cause various health problems. However, many people struggle to get a good night’s sleep.
If you hate waking up tired or restless and want to remember what it’s like to wake up refreshed, then you’ll probably want to try sleeping with your socks on. Here’s why.
Why Do Socks Help Me Sleep Better?
Wearing socks before going to bed helps keep your feet warm. This in turn helps dilate the blood vessels within your feet which help you fall asleep faster.
One study found a correlation between the dilation of blood vessels in extremities (vasodilation) and the speed at which you fall asleep (1). Basically, the warmer your feet, the easier it’ll be for you to fall asleep.
Additional Health Benefits of Sleeping With Socks On
Wearing socks at night isn’t limited to only helping you sleep better. You can also use them for the following benefits.
1. Prevent Night Sweat and Hot Flash
According to Cleveland Clinic, the wearing of socks to bed can eliminate wakefulness or sleeplessness caused by hot flashes and/or night sweats. Because socks help regulate body temperature they can be an ideal solution to help resolve minor hot flashes without more extreme options like hormone replacement therapy (2).
2. Help With Raynaud’s Disease
Raynaud’s disease is a rare condition that affects an individual’s blood cells, and causes an overreaction to cold temperatures which, in severe cases, can lead to sores or necrosis (tissue death). Sleeping with socks on helps with body temperature regulation, which can help to prevent a Raynaud’s attack from occurring.
3. Improve Dry Skin
People who experience bouts of dry skin may find that they wake with cracked, dry feet; especially in the winter months when temperatures drop. This may lead to soreness.
Applying a suitable and appropriate moisturizer to your feet before sleep, and putting clean socks made from cotton over them will prevent dry feet in the morning.
4. Reduce Fever
Soaking your socks in apple cider vinegar prior to putting them on before bed can help bring down your fever. Vinegar is effective in boosting blood flow and reducing your fever. In addition, this remedy is able to strengthen your immune system and help ease the breaking down of waste products.
- Top 10 Signs You May Have a Thyroid Problem And What You Can Do About It
The thyroid is a small gland located in the center of the neck. Most people don’t think that much about …
- 7 Ways To Manage Allergies That Doesn’t Involve Using Over-The-Counter Medication
Spring and summer may mean the end of the winter season and more time spent outdoors in the sun, but …
- How to Pick a Juicy, Delicious and Nutrient-Packed Watermelon Every Time
If summer had to be represented by one fruit, it would definitely be watermelon. Enjoyed on beaches, campgrounds, and porches …
- Carrot Juice Cures Stage 4 Cancer
Drug free cancer cures are gaining more and more publicity, as research continues to conclude that conventional therapies often do …
- 100 Years of Fitness in Under Two Minutes…So, THAT’S What Exercising Looked Like Back Then!
It’s no small feat to sum up 100 years of fitness trends in under two minutes, but a recent video from …
- Say Cheese! Incredible Ultrasound Captures Baby Smiling in His Mother’s Womb
5-month-old Leo David Hargreaves born in the UK has been smiling since before he was born, and he hasn’t stopped …
- Numbers of Lawsuits Skyrocketing Against “The Most Financially Successful Drug of All Time”
Maybe it’s a coincidence. But probably not. After the patent for Lipitor expired in 2011, the Food and Drug Administration …
- Honey Wraps Gently Cures Cough And Removes Mucus From The Lungs In Just One Night!
Yes, that’s right, honey wraps can cure common colds very quickly. Cough and cold are minor ailments but sometimes it …
- 9-Year-Old Girl Who Used Cannabis To Cure Her Cancer Shares A Message With The World
Now that the myths, stigma, and criminalization of cannabis are beginning to clear, we in North America are seeing what …
- 6 Unexpected Things That Happen To Your Body When You Stop Eating Meat
Going vegetarian or not is ultimately a personal choice – there are advantages and disadvantages to a vegetarian diet, but …
- Early Warning Signs Your Body Has TOO MUCH Estrogen (Millions of Women Unknowingly Have This!)
Few women know that there is such a thing as too much estrogen. In fact, excessive estrogen can increase the …
- 4 Surprising Reasons Why Taking Antacids Is Bad For Your Bones, Kidneys And Stomach
Antacids are used to suppress heartburn, acid indigestion, burping, stomach bloating, and abdominal discomfort. Half of all Americans are believed …
- This Sea “Vegetable” Is Nutritious, Fast Growing And Tastes Just Like Bacon
It’s red, leafy, and vaguely resembles some kind of lettuce, but make no mistake – this patented new strain of …
- 4 Lifestyle Changes That Can Ward Off Heart Disease and Reduce Your Risk of Early Death by 80%
Information from the John Hopkins Hospital may be prompting some individuals to re-evaluate lifestyle factors that could put them at …
- Undeniable Link Between Aerobic Exercise and Memory Will Make You Think Twice About Taking The Elevator
Researchers from Michigan State University have published a study that looked at the effect of exercise on the brain. We all …