Skimping on sleep can have serious repercussions on your health. In fact, just one week of inadequate sleep is enough to alter the activity of more than 700 genes.
According to this survey, nearly half of Americans don’t get the recommended amount of sleep each night.
Read on to learn more about what could be happening to your body when you don’t get enough sleep, starting the very first night.
related: 9 Foods to Naturally Increase Melatonin for Better Sleep
After One Sleepless Night You’ll…
- feel hungrier and eat more throughout the day; [2, 3, 4]
- be more likely to have an accident behind the wheel; 
- cause your skin to age faster; 
- be more likely to catch a cold; [7, 8]
- lose some brain tissue; 
- be more likely to get emotional; 
- be less focused and will experience memory problems; [11, 12]
After a while your…
- stroke risk quadruples; 
- obesity risk jumps; [14, 15]
- risk of some cancers may increase; [16, 17, 18, 19]
- diabetes risk goes up; 
- heart disease risk increases; [21, 22]
- sperm count decreases; 
- risk of death goes up; 
Top 10 Tips to Sleep Better