Pinkeye isn’t the only common eye infection around: styes and chalazions also take the cake.
And if you’ve ever had either one before, then you know how irritating and painful they can be.
Doctors typically recommend antibiotic ointment and drops to keep infections under control, even opting for surgery to drain these red bumps if they begin to get out of control.
While some people may require medical treatment to keep their eyes healthy, there are many home remedies that can cure your stye or chalazion without having to go to the doctor’s office.
What Causes Styes & Chalazions
Styes are small itchy bumps that appear along your lash line. They’re typically caused by bacteria or clogged oil glands and tear ducts. They tend to stay small and go away after about a month or so (1).
On the other hand, chalazions are caused by oil glands that become clogged with makeup or dirt. The chalazion builds up slowly and becomes a large swollen bump that can lead the eyelid to swell and obstruct your vision. Other symptoms include itchiness and pain, sensitivity to light, tearing, and blurred vision (2).
What You Can Do
If you end up with an infection, abstain from using makeup or contacts until your eye is fully healed.
It’s also important to avoid touching your eye and cleaning your hands before conducting the treatments below.
1. Hot Compress
One of the best ways to drain an infected eye is by applying a warm wet compress over your closed eye for 5-10 minutes 3-6 times a day. This treatment also relieves the swelling and pain associated with the condition (3).
Honey has natural antibiotic compounds that fight the bacteria that cause styes without irritating your eyes.
Simply combine equal parts distilled warm water and raw organic honey and apply the mixture to your eye using a clean towel. Repeat 2-3 times a day.
3. Salt Water
Saline solutions are often sold in drugstores to cure eye, nose, and ear infections.
To make your own, combine a ½ tablespoon of fine grain Himalayan salt and a cup of cooled boiled water and stir.
Use the solution to rinse out your eyes 3-4 times a day.
To prevent eye infections, clear your contact lenses daily, remove all your makeup before going to bed, abstain from sharing makeup products and sanitize brushes and other tools after every use.
If you’re prone to chalazions, wear sunglasses on windy days to avoid getting dust in your eyes, avoid rubbing or touching your eyes, and use a saline solution to clean your lash line every morning and night.
- How Your Smartphone Light Affects Your Brain And Body (Infographic)
Your smartphone screen produces a blue light to make it easy to use in bright and dark environments. However, at …
- 4 Powerful Herbs for Natural Pain Relief
Before the advent of modern medicine, people used herbs and spices to effectively treat everything from colds to cancer. What …
- 5 Detox Teas To Flush Out Toxins From Your Body And Nurture The Good Bacteria In Your Gut
While it’s more common to focus on popular health subjects such as weight loss, disease prevention, or physical appearance, many …
- How To Use 2 Common Household Spices To STOP Your Muscles From Aching
Waking up from a good night’s sleep is one of the most amazing and comfortable feelings in the world. Muscle …
- Molecular Biologist Explains How THC Kills Cancer Completely
From Compultense University in Madrid, Spain, Dr. Christina Sanchez has been studying the anti-tumor effects of THC, the main psychoactive …
- Alkaline Eating: Tips and Tricks To Lose Weight, Fight Inflammation and Prevent Cancer
You might have noticed that eating too many sweets or drinking too much coffee can leave you feeling tired, fat …
- The Healing Coconut Lemon Pudding Anyone With Joint Pain Needs To Eat
Who knew that lemon pudding can actually help you manage arthritis? Joint pain is not only extremely painful, it is …
- Put THIS Mixture Under Your Tongue Before Bed And NEVER Wake Up Tired Again!
Sleep may be an everyday activity, but very few people give it much thought. Even those who suffer from sleep loss …
- This French Supermarket Found a New Way to Sell “Ugly” Produce – And Watched Business Skyrocket!
Let’s face it: we’re superficial food snobs. What food looks like is almost as important to us as how it …
- It Takes a Glass of This And Your Liver Will Be Renewed!
How do you know if your body is unwell ? Your digestive system will make you bloated and sore, your lungs …
- Early Warning Signs Your Body Has TOO MUCH Estrogen (Millions of Women Unknowingly Have This!)
Few women know that there is such a thing as too much estrogen. In fact, excessive estrogen can increase the …
- Nestle Plans To Hijack Michigan’s Water And Doesn’t Give A Damn About Flint Crisis
There are essentially two things we absolutely need to survive in the very short term. One is obviously air, the second …
- Warning Signs Your Magnesium, Potassium and Calcium Levels Are OFF and How To FIX It!
You might have noticed that working out or sweating excessively may leave you feeling tired and dehydrated even when you …
- ￼4 Mistakes You’re Doing That’s Making Your Autoimmune Disorder Worse
Autoimmune disorders affect people in ever-increasing numbers – Grave’s Disease, MS, lupus, Celiac’s Disease – these diseases can be crippling, …
- Mix This with Shampoo To Stop Dandruff And Increase Hair Growth
You never know when you might need the following home remedies for dandruff. Half of us experience dandruff—dead skin cells …