According to the American Cancer Association “Colorectal cancer is the third leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States when men and women are considered separately, and the second leading cause when both sexes are combined.”
These scary statistics are mainly due to the fact that colon and rectal cancer both have subtle and often overlooked symptoms. This means that by the time you know you have it, the cancer is so advanced that it’s hard to treat.
Most Commonly Overlooked Signs Of Colorectal Cancer
Perhaps one of the most difficult symptoms to diagnose, cramps are the first sign that something may be up. Unfortunately, it’s also a symptom of many other less serious conditions, like excess gas and poor digestion (2).
Like the odd cramp isn’t a cause for concern, chronic, intense, and long-lasting pain accompanied with any other symptom below should be reported to your general practitioner as soon as possible.
It may also be a sign of more serious conditions like anemia, acute liver failure, diabetes, heart disease, hypothyroidism, and much more. However, being constantly tired, even when you eat and sleep well and have a clean bill of health, may be a sign of colorectal cancer.
Cancer cells require plenty of energy, which means that there’s less to go around for healthy cells. Colon cancer can also cause bleeding, further starving your body of oxygen and nutrients.
3. Sudden Weight Loss
An immediate and dramatic decrease in weight can be caused by a variety of cancers, one of them being colon cancer. The Mayo Clinic describes unexplained weight loss as the unintentional loss of 5% of your body weight within six months (4).
For someone who weighs 150 pounds, losing 7 and 1/2 pounds within six months without changing diet, exercise or your sleeping pattern qualifies as “unexplained weight loss”.
Not only do cancer cells take plenty of energy, your immune system also uses energy to try to fight off the disease.
4. Irregular Bowel Movements
Since cancer can affect bowel structure, meaning that it can also influence the timing, consistency, and appearance of your stool.
Colon polyps can turn into tumor over time, which can make your stool either more diarrhea-like or leave you constipated. If your bowel movements have changed or if they excessively dark, it’s time to visit your doctor (5).
5. Bloody Stool
Every time you go to the washroom, you should take a quick look at your stool to get a better idea of your overall health.
Bloody or black stool can be scary or embarrassing, but it has to be mentioned to your doctor. While bloody stool indicated bleeding in your rectum or anus, black stool indicates bleeding higher up in your digestive tract (6).
Of all the signs on the list above, this is the one you absolutely can’t ignore.
How To Lower Your Risk Of Colon Cancer
- Eat your fruits, veggies, and grains: these fiber-rich foods clear toxic waste from your intestines and promote healthy bowel movements to keep you regular and clear. Some of these foods also lower inflammation.
- Exercise regularly: exercise is essential to maintain a healthy weight, fight inflammation, and clear toxins. Plus, it also supports proper bowel function.
- Don’t smoke: smoking elevates your risk of every type of cancer, including cancers of the colon and rectum.
- Manage your weight: Obese and overweight people are more likely to develop colorectal cancer. Their risk of dying of the disease is also greater.
- Limit alcohol: excessive alcohol consumption is a risk factor for colorectal cancer.
- Scientists Have Proven That Negativity Literally Makes Cancer Grow Inside The Body
Everybody feels negative emotions once in a while, but these emotions have a stronger effect on your health than you …
- The 24 Most Powerful Cancer-Fighting Foods
If you’re at risk of developing cancer, eating cancer fighting foods is just another way to heal your body. According …
- Teen Invents Bra That Can Save Millions After Mom Nearly Dies Of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is one of the main health concerns that women face in this day and age. For many, learning of …
- Colon Cancer Survivors Are 42% Less Likely To Die If They Eat Well And Exercise (No Surprise There!)
Eating healthy and exercising isn’t always the easiest thing to do when you’ve survived cancer. Yet it may hold the …
- Every Single Person Who has Cancer has a pH that is Too Acidic. Here is the Easiest Way to Check your pH Balance
A slightly alkaline environment is essential for proper cellular functions. Your gut bacteria and immune system rely on it too. …
- This Native American Tea Fights Cancer Cells And This Is How You Make It…
As you’ve probably noticed, conventional medicine is finally catching up to the methods traditional medicine has been using for millennia. …
- The Alkaline Diet Info Every Cancer Patient Needs To Read Immediately
Proper nutrition is at the heart of living a healthy life. When someone is diagnosed with a life-changing or life-threatening …
- 10 of The Most Functional Foods In The World Which Destroy Cancer Cells
It’s rare to find an individual whose life has not been touched by cancer, which is why many may be …
- How to Prevent Cancer: 15 Cancer-Preventing Tips
The Big C: Many people contract it and many more live in fear of it. Even more critical than a …
- How To Use a Frozen Lemon To Fight Malignant Tumors in The Body
Lemon seem to be in every detox recipe on the web. Whether it’s lemon water, lemonade or lemon tea, there’s …
- Elderly Man with Terminal Cancer Walks Out of Hospice After Treatment With Cannabis Oil
Cancer has become epidemic and its incidence is on the rise. The medical establishment will tell you that survival rates …
- Top 8 Warning Signs of Ovarian Cancer Women Need to Know About
Every year, many women with ovarian cancer are misdiagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome, stress, reflux or a urinary tract infection, …
- 6 Types of Cancers You Can Fend Off With Exercise
While there are many factors that play into your predisposition towards certain cancers – genetics, environment, and lifestyle factors all …
- National Cancer Institute Quietly Confirms That Cannabis Treats Cancer
It’s official: the National Cancer Institute (NCI) has posted information on its website that confirms what anyone who reads articles …
- Can this Little Green Plant Really Shrink Prostate Tumors by 70%?
Prostate cancer is the second most commonly diagnosed cancer in men and the fifth leading cause of cancer death worldwide. …