According to the American Cancer Association “Colorectal cancer is the third leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States when men and women are considered separately, and the second leading cause when both sexes are combined.”
These scary statistics are mainly due to the fact that colon and rectal cancer both have subtle and often overlooked symptoms. This means that by the time you know you have it, the cancer is so advanced that it’s hard to treat.
Most Commonly Overlooked Signs Of Colorectal Cancer
Perhaps one of the most difficult symptoms to diagnose, cramps are the first sign that something may be up. Unfortunately, it’s also a symptom of many other less serious conditions, like excess gas and poor digestion (2).
Like the odd cramp isn’t a cause for concern, chronic, intense, and long-lasting pain accompanied with any other symptom below should be reported to your general practitioner as soon as possible.
It may also be a sign of more serious conditions like anemia, acute liver failure, diabetes, heart disease, hypothyroidism, and much more. However, being constantly tired, even when you eat and sleep well and have a clean bill of health, may be a sign of colorectal cancer.
Cancer cells require plenty of energy, which means that there’s less to go around for healthy cells. Colon cancer can also cause bleeding, further starving your body of oxygen and nutrients.
3. Sudden Weight Loss
An immediate and dramatic decrease in weight can be caused by a variety of cancers, one of them being colon cancer. The Mayo Clinic describes unexplained weight loss as the unintentional loss of 5% of your body weight within six months (4).
For someone who weighs 150 pounds, losing 7 and 1/2 pounds within six months without changing diet, exercise or your sleeping pattern qualifies as “unexplained weight loss”.
Not only do cancer cells take plenty of energy, your immune system also uses energy to try to fight off the disease.
4. Irregular Bowel Movements
Since cancer can affect bowel structure, meaning that it can also influence the timing, consistency, and appearance of your stool.
Colon polyps can turn into tumor over time, which can make your stool either more diarrhea-like or leave you constipated. If your bowel movements have changed or if they excessively dark, it’s time to visit your doctor (5).
5. Bloody Stool
Every time you go to the washroom, you should take a quick look at your stool to get a better idea of your overall health.
Bloody or black stool can be scary or embarrassing, but it has to be mentioned to your doctor. While bloody stool indicated bleeding in your rectum or anus, black stool indicates bleeding higher up in your digestive tract (6).
Of all the signs on the list above, this is the one you absolutely can’t ignore.
How To Lower Your Risk Of Colon Cancer
- Eat your fruits, veggies, and grains: these fiber-rich foods clear toxic waste from your intestines and promote healthy bowel movements to keep you regular and clear. Some of these foods also lower inflammation.
- Exercise regularly: exercise is essential to maintain a healthy weight, fight inflammation, and clear toxins. Plus, it also supports proper bowel function.
- Don’t smoke: smoking elevates your risk of every type of cancer, including cancers of the colon and rectum.
- Manage your weight: Obese and overweight people are more likely to develop colorectal cancer. Their risk of dying of the disease is also greater.
- Limit alcohol: excessive alcohol consumption is a risk factor for colorectal cancer.
- 11 Ways Dehydration Could Be Making You Fat And Sick
The average human body is around 70% water. By not drinking enough water we are causing a whole raft of …
- Fatigue, Vitamin Deficiencies, and Diabetes: 7 Health Problems that Your Hands are Warning You About
The eyes may be the windows to the soul but your hands may be the windows to your blood and …
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Add 2 Tbsp. Of This Coconut Oil Mixture To Your Morning Coffee To Burn A TON Of Calories
Do you drink coffee every morning? If yes, the following coffee creamer recipe is definitely something you’ll want to try (if …
- The 5-Minute Yoga Routine That Can Help Restore Thyroid Levels
Yoga entails more than black stretchy pants and planks. It’s an Eastern practice that goes back thousands of years, an …
- How To Use Himalayan Salt Lamps For Better Air, Sleep And Mental Clarity
Himalayan crystal salt is the purest salt available on earth. Hence why it is used a lot for salt lamps. …
- Sleepless Children Are Aging Faster At A Cellular Level
The importance of sleep is often overlooked but it really can’t be over-emphasized. While you sleep, much of your body …
- Here’s The Homemade Cannabis Oil Recipe That People Are Using as a Chemo Alternative
People have been increasingly becoming aware of the anti-cancer benefits of cannabis over the last few years. Many studies done …
- How To Grow Aloe Vera At Home (And Health Benefits)
Aloe Vera is a member of the Old World succulent group known as Aloaceae. The plant has numerous healing properties …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …
- 10 High-Protein Vegetables You Need to Start Eating Today
Protein is the building blocks of muscles as well as bone, skin, hair, and nearly every other part of your …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- The Many Benefits of Coriander Seed Oil and How to Use It
Coriander is a savory spice used extensively in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It is the seed of the cilantro …
- 4 Diet Mistakes You’re Making that Only Create More Belly Fat
Many people (especially men) find that they accumulate abdominal fat that’s very hard to get rid of. This is especially …
- Teen Invents Bra That Can Save Millions After Mom Nearly Dies Of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is one of the main health concerns that women face in this day and age. For many, learning of …