According to the American Cancer Association “Colorectal cancer is the third leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States when men and women are considered separately, and the second leading cause when both sexes are combined.”
These scary statistics are mainly due to the fact that colon and rectal cancer both have subtle and often overlooked symptoms. This means that by the time you know you have it, the cancer is so advanced that it’s hard to treat.
Most Commonly Overlooked Signs Of Colorectal Cancer
Perhaps one of the most difficult symptoms to diagnose, cramps are the first sign that something may be up. Unfortunately, it’s also a symptom of many other less serious conditions, like excess gas and poor digestion (2).
Like the odd cramp isn’t a cause for concern, chronic, intense, and long-lasting pain accompanied with any other symptom below should be reported to your general practitioner as soon as possible.
It may also be a sign of more serious conditions like anemia, acute liver failure, diabetes, heart disease, hypothyroidism, and much more. However, being constantly tired, even when you eat and sleep well and have a clean bill of health, may be a sign of colorectal cancer.
Cancer cells require plenty of energy, which means that there’s less to go around for healthy cells. Colon cancer can also cause bleeding, further starving your body of oxygen and nutrients.
3. Sudden Weight Loss
An immediate and dramatic decrease in weight can be caused by a variety of cancers, one of them being colon cancer. The Mayo Clinic describes unexplained weight loss as the unintentional loss of 5% of your body weight within six months (4).
For someone who weighs 150 pounds, losing 7 and 1/2 pounds within six months without changing diet, exercise or your sleeping pattern qualifies as “unexplained weight loss”.
Not only do cancer cells take plenty of energy, your immune system also uses energy to try to fight off the disease.
4. Irregular Bowel Movements
Since cancer can affect bowel structure, meaning that it can also influence the timing, consistency, and appearance of your stool.
Colon polyps can turn into tumor over time, which can make your stool either more diarrhea-like or leave you constipated. If your bowel movements have changed or if they excessively dark, it’s time to visit your doctor (5).
5. Bloody Stool
Every time you go to the washroom, you should take a quick look at your stool to get a better idea of your overall health.
Bloody or black stool can be scary or embarrassing, but it has to be mentioned to your doctor. While bloody stool indicated bleeding in your rectum or anus, black stool indicates bleeding higher up in your digestive tract (6).
Of all the signs on the list above, this is the one you absolutely can’t ignore.
How To Lower Your Risk Of Colon Cancer
- Eat your fruits, veggies, and grains: these fiber-rich foods clear toxic waste from your intestines and promote healthy bowel movements to keep you regular and clear. Some of these foods also lower inflammation.
- Exercise regularly: exercise is essential to maintain a healthy weight, fight inflammation, and clear toxins. Plus, it also supports proper bowel function.
- Don’t smoke: smoking elevates your risk of every type of cancer, including cancers of the colon and rectum.
- Manage your weight: Obese and overweight people are more likely to develop colorectal cancer. Their risk of dying of the disease is also greater.
- Limit alcohol: excessive alcohol consumption is a risk factor for colorectal cancer.
- Here’s The Homemade Cannabis Oil Recipe That People Are Using as a Chemo Alternative
People have been increasingly becoming aware of the anti-cancer benefits of cannabis over the last few years. Many studies done …
- Elderly Man with Terminal Cancer Walks Out of Hospice After Treatment With Cannabis Oil
Cancer has become epidemic and its incidence is on the rise. The medical establishment will tell you that survival rates …
- How Cancer Spreads Through The Lymphatic System (And How To Keep It Healthy)
Cancer and the lymphatic system have a pretty interesting relationship. The lymphatic system runs parallel to the circulatory system. Unlike …
- Here’s How to Starve Cancer to Death By Removing One Thing From Your Diet
An estimated 12.5 million people had some form of cancer in 2009, according to the American Cancer Society. Another 25.8 …
- Thyroid Cancer Screening Unnecessary; Risks Outweigh Benefits
Recent radio ads featuring Rod Stewart are encouraging everyone to get screened for thyroid cancer. However, unless you already have …
- Cancer Cells Decompose After Several Weeks With The Use of This Herbal Tea
To say that dandelions aren’t appreciated enough is a gross understatement. Suburb dwellers often spend countless hours trying to rid …
- Teen Invents Bra That Can Save Millions After Mom Nearly Dies Of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is one of the main health concerns that women face in this day and age. For many, learning of …
- How To Use a Frozen Lemon To Fight Malignant Tumors in The Body
Lemon seem to be in every detox recipe on the web. Whether it’s lemon water, lemonade or lemon tea, there’s …
- CNN – Patients: Roundup gave us Cancer as EPA Official Helped the Company!
Roundup is popular herbicide sold in hardware stores throughout North America. It’s also used extensively in the agricultural industry. It’s …
- Nobody Knows About This Rare And Little-Known Symptom of BREAST CANCER
Dimples are cute on the face. Not so cute on a breast—in fact, dimpling and skin changes can be an …
- Canadian Researchers Discover New Evidence That Vitamin D Shuts Down Cancer Cells
Researchers at McGill University have discovered a molecular basis for the cancer preventive effects of vitamin D, whereby its active …
- Man With “Terminal” Lung Cancer Cures Himself With Cannabis Oil
Darren Miller was 50 years old when he was told he had (at most) 1 year to live due to …
- Japan has a Lower Rate of Breast Cancer than the U.S. – This Nutrient Makes the Difference
The incidence of breast cancer in North America has been decreasing since 2000 but it is still the second-most common …
- How to Prevent Cancer: 15 Cancer-Preventing Tips
The Big C: Many people contract it and many more live in fear of it. Even more critical than a …
- Lower Your Cancer Risk With These Herbs and Super-Foods
By now, most of us have heard that eating lots of blueberries and cranberries can help reduce the risk of …