According to the American Cancer Association “Colorectal cancer is the third leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States when men and women are considered separately, and the second leading cause when both sexes are combined.”
These scary statistics are mainly due to the fact that colon and rectal cancer both have subtle and often overlooked symptoms. This means that by the time you know you have it, the cancer is so advanced that it’s hard to treat.
Most Commonly Overlooked Signs Of Colorectal Cancer
Perhaps one of the most difficult symptoms to diagnose, cramps are the first sign that something may be up. Unfortunately, it’s also a symptom of many other less serious conditions, like excess gas and poor digestion (2).
Like the odd cramp isn’t a cause for concern, chronic, intense, and long-lasting pain accompanied with any other symptom below should be reported to your general practitioner as soon as possible.
It may also be a sign of more serious conditions like anemia, acute liver failure, diabetes, heart disease, hypothyroidism, and much more. However, being constantly tired, even when you eat and sleep well and have a clean bill of health, may be a sign of colorectal cancer.
Cancer cells require plenty of energy, which means that there’s less to go around for healthy cells. Colon cancer can also cause bleeding, further starving your body of oxygen and nutrients.
3. Sudden Weight Loss
An immediate and dramatic decrease in weight can be caused by a variety of cancers, one of them being colon cancer. The Mayo Clinic describes unexplained weight loss as the unintentional loss of 5% of your body weight within six months (4).
For someone who weighs 150 pounds, losing 7 and 1/2 pounds within six months without changing diet, exercise or your sleeping pattern qualifies as “unexplained weight loss”.
Not only do cancer cells take plenty of energy, your immune system also uses energy to try to fight off the disease.
4. Irregular Bowel Movements
Since cancer can affect bowel structure, meaning that it can also influence the timing, consistency, and appearance of your stool.
Colon polyps can turn into tumor over time, which can make your stool either more diarrhea-like or leave you constipated. If your bowel movements have changed or if they excessively dark, it’s time to visit your doctor (5).
5. Bloody Stool
Every time you go to the washroom, you should take a quick look at your stool to get a better idea of your overall health.
Bloody or black stool can be scary or embarrassing, but it has to be mentioned to your doctor. While bloody stool indicated bleeding in your rectum or anus, black stool indicates bleeding higher up in your digestive tract (6).
Of all the signs on the list above, this is the one you absolutely can’t ignore.
How To Lower Your Risk Of Colon Cancer
- Eat your fruits, veggies, and grains: these fiber-rich foods clear toxic waste from your intestines and promote healthy bowel movements to keep you regular and clear. Some of these foods also lower inflammation.
- Exercise regularly: exercise is essential to maintain a healthy weight, fight inflammation, and clear toxins. Plus, it also supports proper bowel function.
- Don’t smoke: smoking elevates your risk of every type of cancer, including cancers of the colon and rectum.
- Manage your weight: Obese and overweight people are more likely to develop colorectal cancer. Their risk of dying of the disease is also greater.
- Limit alcohol: excessive alcohol consumption is a risk factor for colorectal cancer.
- Cancer Diagnosis Spurs 90-Year-Old Traveler To Take The Trip Of A Lifetime
Guts, grace, dignity, and humor—that’s how we all want to be remembered for after this life. Here’s the story of …
- Given 18 Months To Live, Cures Himself With Cannabis Oil
As time goes on and individuals’ stories unfold and are shared, the efficacy of cannabis as a treatment for cancer …
- Scientists Have Proven That Negativity Literally Makes Cancer Grow Inside The Body
Everybody feels negative emotions once in a while, but these emotions have a stronger effect on your health than you …
- Nobody Knows About This Rare And Little-Known Symptom of BREAST CANCER
Dimples are cute on the face. Not so cute on a breast—in fact, dimpling and skin changes can be an …
- Over 100 Scientific Studies Agree: Cannabis Annihilates Cancer
The healing properties of cannabis are nothing new. In ancient India, cannabis was used to treat ailments such as insomnia …
- 99% of Breast Cancer Tissue Contains This Chemical Found in Everyday Beauty Products!
As you wash your hair or put on your makeup, the last thing you are likely worried about is whether …
- National Cancer Institute Quietly Confirms That Cannabis Treats Cancer
It’s official: the National Cancer Institute (NCI) has posted information on its website that confirms what anyone who reads articles …
- How To Make A Giant Cancer Killing Salad
What would you do if you were diagnosed with stage 3 cancer? Most of us would probably run to the …
- How to Prevent Cancer: 15 Cancer-Preventing Tips
The Big C: Many people contract it and many more live in fear of it. Even more critical than a …
- This Native American Tea Cures Cancer And This Is How You Make It…
As you’ve probably noticed, conventional medicine is finally catching up to the methods traditional medicine has been using for millennia. …
- Cannabis Oil Dissolves Large Cancerous Tumor in 8 Month Old Baby
According to Dr. William Courtney, the western medical mind has a very hard if not impossible time trying to understand …
- This Popular Moisturizer Applied To Mice For 17 Weeks Developed 69% More Cancerous Tumors
Your skin is your body’s largest and most permeable organ so you’re careful what you put on it, right? Gentle …
- Colon Cancer Survivors Are 42% Less Likely To Die If They Eat Well And Exercise (No Surprise There!)
Eating healthy and exercising isn’t always the easiest thing to do when you’ve survived cancer. Yet it may hold the …
- Video Shows How Green Tea Consumption Can STOP Healthy Cells From Turning Malignant
The health benefits of tea stretch across the spectrum — green, black or white all promise to fight free radicals and hydrate …
- Canadian Researchers Discover New Evidence That Vitamin D Shuts Down Cancer Cells
Researchers at McGill University have discovered a molecular basis for the cancer preventive effects of vitamin D, whereby its active …