Showers are one of those rare moments in the day where you can really spoil yourself.
Whether you take it at night to relax before bed or in the morning to wake up before work, a shower can be the perfect moment to take a little extra time for yourself.
Taking it to the next level often involves artificially scented soaps and hair products, but there are natural ways to improve your shower routine. One simple and yet very effective trick is to hang eucalyptus from your shower head.
What is Eucalyptus?
Eucalyptus is a tree native to Australia that has been used in aboriginal medicine for millennia. Eucalyptus has a strong scent that quickly clears your airways and chases away mental fog.
Its leaves are quite hardy, so it’s perfect to use in the shower, just as long as it doesn’t get too wet.
Eucalyptus and Steam
Eucalyptus essential oil is steam-extracted so keeping a few branches in a steamy shower activates the plant’s beneficial properties. It’s especially helpful when used to treat the respiratory symptoms of the cold and flu.
Other benefits include:
- Antibacterial and analgesic properties (1,2)
- Boosts your immune system (3)
- Expectorant (pushes out phlegm)
- Antiparasitic (works well against head lice)
- Fights inflammation
- Invigorating and relaxing scent (4)
- Soothes aching joints (5)
How To Use Eucalyptus
Hang it in the Shower
This easy trick will get you excited to get in the shower and get clean!
- Buy eucalyptus. Fresh Eucalyptus can be found in most flower shops, health food stores, and craft stores.
- Tie together the ends of two or three branches using twine or cotton string.
- Use another piece of twine to secure the bunch on your showerhead, hanging it downwards and as close to the wall as you can. The leaves can tolerate some water, but they’ll quickly get moldy if they’re constantly soaked.
- Turn your tap to hot and hop in!
- Replace the eucalyptus every week.
Use it in DYI bath products
Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to your homemade deodorant, toothpaste, or soap. When in doubt, make a eucalyptus-scented shower tablet and pop it in before showering.
- Eucalyptus & Lemongrass essential oil
- 1 lemon
- 3 cups of baking soda
- 1 cup of water
- A silicon cupcake or ice cube tray
- Combine baking soda with 1 cup of water in a large mixing bowl until it has a glue-like texture.
- Grate the peel of your lemon and add it in. Stir to combine.
- Pack the mixture into your molds, pressing down firmly to make sure they don’t crumble when you pop them out. If you want to add decorative leave or petals, place them at the bottom of your mold before filling it up.
- Add 5-10 drops of each oil to each tablet, depending on its size and your preference.
- Let them sit in a cool dry place until completely dry (5-7 days).
Pro tip: You can speed along the process by baking them at 350°F for 15 minutes. Just make sure to do this before adding the essential oil (as it will cook up and lose most of its scent) and to pack your tablets in an oven-safe mold.
- Pop the tablets out of the mold and store them in a glass jar in your bathroom.
- To use, place a shower tablet on the floor of your shower (away from the drain) and enjoy!
- When This 17-Year-Old Teen Refused Chemo She Never Imagined Things Would Escalate This Far…
When it comes to medical authorities, human rights apparently don’t exist, especially if you are under the age of 18. Competent …
- Canker Sores Are The Absolute WORST…Here’s How To Get Rid of Them Fast!
Almost everyone experiences a canker sore in their lifetime. These annoying mouth ulcers make talking and eating painful and difficult, but …
- 6 Key Blood Tests You Haven’t Done But Should
When I was 24 years old I read the studies done by Drs. Brown and Goldsteine. They had just won …
- Controversial Stem Cell Therapy Restores Movement For Paralyzed Man
In the aftermath of a tragedy, Kristopher Boesen got lucky. In March 2016, shortly before his 21st birthday, Kris lost control …
- This Lamp Can Run For Eight Hours And All It Needs Is One Glass of Salt Water
The Sustainable Alternative Lighting project, otherwise known as SALt, is releasing a lamp that runs purely on saltwater to the …
- Gluten Can Cause Depression, Migraines, Headaches and Other Neurological Disorders, Study Suggests
When you think of wheat, protein is probably not your first association. But did you know that this seemingly healthy …
- Bad Cholesterol Activates Signaling Pathway That Promotes Cancer
We know that an accumulation of fat on the interior of artery walls–known as plaque–causes artheriosclerosis and contributes to heart …
- Why Biting Your Nails Is More Than Just a Bad Habit
Nail biting is a habit of many. Chronic biters aren’t even aware they’re doing it. The consequences, however, are more than …
- This Is Why You Should Drink Warm Water On An Empty Stomach Every Morning
You’ve heard by now that it’s a good idea to drink water first thing in the morning. In fact, you’ve probably …
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Visit Your Doctor Even if You Feel Healthy
The seemingly endless questions, and all of the poking and prodding that comes with having to endure a physical checkup …
- He Puts a Tea Bag Inside His Car For One GENIUS Reason Not Many People Know!
Do you love tea? If you’ve got tons of tea bags sitting in your kitchen cabinet then you’re in for a …
- Aldi Bans Neonicotinoids, Goes Organic, Rivals Whole Foods As Healthiest Grocery Store
Aldi is one of the largest grocery retailers in the world with stores in 18 countries. Founded in Germany in …
- ‘Broken Promises of Genetically Modified Crops:’ Huge NY Times Investigation Exposes the Truth About GMOs, Monsanto’s Biggest Lies
Let’s face it, Monsanto has gotten away with crimes even the most hardened criminals would never even imagine doing. And …
- The Scoop on Your Poop
It’s a topic that most of us are afraid to ask questions about – what does your poop mean about …
- Empty Your Colon of TOXIC Waste With This Cleansing 4-Ingredient Apple-Honey Mixture
After the age of 50, colon cancer can become a real threat to your health (1). That’s why doctors recommend regular …