The longest tapeworm ever found in a human’s intestines was approximately 82 feet, which is the length of a standard swimming pool (1). If that’s not the stuff of nightmares, what is?
But the sad fact of the matter is that parasites such as tapeworms are far more common than we tend to believe. And yes, they affect people in developed nations, too.
Parasites In North America
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, millions of Americans play host to parasites every single year (2). Some can live undetected inside a human host for many years.
There are three types of parasites that affect humans.
These one-celled organisms can’t be seen with the naked eye. They can function both as parasites and on their own. When they affect humans, they tend to multiply, resulting in serious infections that begins when a single protozoa manages to get in.
They are most often contracted through contaminated food, water, or feces. Other protozoa live in human blood and tissues. Some can even find their way in through mosquito or sand fly bites (3).
The four types of protozoa include sarcodina, matigophora, ciliophora, and sporozoa.
Unlike protozoa, adult helminths are multicellular organisms that can be seen without a microscope. They do not need a host to survive and cannot multiply in a human body.
They include roundworms, flatworms, and thorny-headed worms.
“Ectoparasite” is a general term that refers to any insect that burrows into the skin and lives there for a period of days, weeks, or months. Most people will come into contact with ectoparasites at some point or another.
They include ticks, lice, mites, and fleas.
These parasites are likely to transmit diseases such as Lyme disease, as well as other pathogens.
The Difference Between A Parasite And A Parasitic Infection
Not all parasites cause diseases when they affect a host (4). In fact, some may live relatively undetected.
Others grow, reproduce, or give off toxins and can cause serious diseases. This is called a parasitic infection.
For instance, malaria is a parasitic infection that caused 438 000 deaths in 2015 out of 214 million yearly cases. Parasitic infections such as malaria tend to thrive in warm, humid regions close to the equator. It’s estimated that 3.2 billion people (nearly half of the world’s population) are at risk of malaria (5).
Humans can contract parasites from the following sources:
- Contaminated water
- Close contact with infected humans
- Close contact with animals
- Eating undercooked meat
- Eating unwashed fruits and vegetables
- Travelling to an area known to have parasites
- Poor hygiene or sanitation
Symptoms to Look Out For
It’s important to be able to recognize the symptoms of a parasitic infection, especially if you’ve acquired it in a foreign country.
Visit a clinic or hospital if you notice any of these signs (6):
- Abdominal pain
- Gas and bloating
- Frequent bladder or yeast infections
- Rashes or itching around the anus or genitals
- Dysentery (loose stools that contain blood or mucus)
- Feeling tired
- Weight loss
- Getting sick easily and often
- Mouth or lip sores
Can Parasites Be Treated Naturally?
In short, yes!
Of course, if you think you might have a parasite, you should always talk to a health professional right away. If your symptoms persist or worsen, get to an emergency room or drop-in clinic immediately.
Once you have your diagnosis, start taking this simple tea to help your body clear itself out.
- A thin slice of ginger
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ tsp of cinnamon (optional)
- Grate ¼ clove of garlic and ½ a slice of ginger into a small saucepan.
- Add powdered cinnamon or grate in a small piece of cinnamon bark.
- Next, Add a cup of water and heat on your stove at the lowest setting.
- As it begins a light boil, remove from heat and let it cool for 5 minutes or so.
- If you want to add a bit of raw honey, wait until the tea has cooled to room temperature.
- Take 2-3 times a day before meals.
Garlic is a natural remedy that kills parasites and enhances immune function. Its main compound, allicin, is responsible for most of the bulb’s health benefits, including blood pressure and cholesterol regulation (7,8).
- DIY Lip Scrub: 26 Easy Ways To Say Goodbye To Chapped Lips
What if it was ridiculously easy to make a DIY lip scrub at home and not worry about artificial chemicals? Cracked …
- You’ve Been Eating Garlic Wrong Your ENTIRE Life (and Missing Out On INCREDIBLE Benefits)
Garlic definitely has an interesting and versatile flavor profile, and the same could be said about its medicinal properties. In …
- Put Away The DEET And Grow Catnip To Repel Mosquitoes Naturally
There’s nothing worse than soaking in a day of perfect weather and becoming a buffet for mosquitoes. Unfortunately, bug repellent …
- Top 10 Toxic Fake Foods Made In China You NEED To Avoid
You’re not going to like this, not one bit. Although the news came out more than a year ago, the USDA now allows …
- Got Wrinkles? Find Anti-Aging Skincare Fixes In Your Kitchen
There are plenty of lotions and creams out there to fight wrinkles and other signs of aging skin, but store-bought …
- Eye Exam Used To Test Your Hearing?
Did you know that upwards of 11 million Americans could currently be seeing better, if only they had their eyes …
- Man Refuses Chemo And Cures His Bladder Cancer Within 2 Yrs By Taking Cannabis Oil And Essiac Tea
On July 2012, at age 54, Trevor Smith was suddenly and unexpectedly diagnosed with stage T2a bladder cancer. The cancer had …
- 15 Signs Your Liver is NOT Taking Out the Trash (a.k.a. Toxins)
Your liver is responsible for cleaning all the crud out of your body and breaking it down to a form …
- This 105-Year-Old Man Just Set a New World Record…This Is His Secret To Longevity.
The video you’re about to watch will show you that fitness knows no age. Meet Midekichi Miyazaki, a 105-year-old father …
- Guava Leaves Can 100% Stop Your Hair Loss and Make it Grow Like Crazy!
Guava: a sweet exotic fruit native to Mexico, Central and South America. One guava fruit contains three times the daily …
- 10 Daily Mistakes You Make That Age You Faster
Aging is inevitable. Since it’ll happen anyways, why not make it graceful? Life is the result of a series of …
- 10+ Signs You Have a Toxic Tooth Infection and How to Treat it Without Going to the Dentist
There are three types of dental abscess: Ginginval – infection of gum tissue Periodontal – infection in supporting bone tissue …
- 10 Exercises That Burn More Fat Than Running
Running is a great cardiovascular exercise to burn fat. Depending on your fitness levels, running can be an excellent way …
- Simple Hack To RIPEN Any Rock-Hard AVOCADO In Just 10 Minutes
There’s a reason why avocados taste so good : it’s all in their healthy fats and incredible nutritional profile (1). …
- CVS Pharmacies to Stop Tobacco Sales: Big Blow to Big Tobacco
Even if you don’t smoke, you should be celebrating CVS’s latest move. Starting October 1 of this year, you will no longer …