Your kidneys are essentially your blood’s filtration system.
This means that any toxins that are in your blood eventually finds their way into your kidneys, where they are later transformed and expelled through urine. All of your blood is filtered by these organs multiple times a day (1).
Both are located on your back, along your spine, and are each about the size of a fist.
Kidney disease and failure are so hard to detect, in fact, that it’s possible to lose up to 90% of kidney function without experiencing any symptoms or problems, according to WebMD.
Drug-Induced Kidney Damage
Drugs are one of the most common causes of kidney damage. Over the last 30 years, instances of drug-induced acute kidney injury have been on the rise (2).
According to a 2008 review published in American Family Physician: “Drugs cause approximately 20 percent of community-and hospital-acquired episodes of acute renal failure. Among older adults, the incidence of drug-induced nephrotoxicity may be as high as 66 percent.”
In part, drugs can cause kidney inflammation, which can lead to fibrosis and renal scarring, and thus, kidney failure.
Nephrotoxic Drugs That Cause Kidney Damage
If you already have kidney problems, these drugs can be deadly even in small doses. And so, make sure to only take medication prescribed by your healthcare provider and respect the recommended dose.
Including: ciprofloxacin, methicillin, vancomycin, aminoglycosides, cephalosporins, amphotericin B, bacitracin, and sulfonamides.
Including: acetaminophen and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID), aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, and other prescription and non-prescription painkillers.
3. COX-2 Inhibitors
Including: celecoxib (Celebrex), rofecoxib (Vioxx), and valdecoxib (Bextra).
4. Heartburn Drugs
Including: proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole (Prilosec), lansoprazole (Prevacid), pantoprazole (Protonix), rabeprazole (Rabecid, Aciphex), and esomeprazole (Nexium, Esotrex).
5. Antiviral Drugs
Including: acyclovir (Zovirax), used to treat herpes infection, and indinavir, ritonavir, and tenofovir, all used to treat HIV.
6. High Blood Pressure Drugs
Including: captopril (Capoten), lisinopril, ramipril, and angiotensin receptor blockers like candesartan and valsartan.
7. Rheumatoid Arthritis Drugs
Including: infliximab (Remicade), chloroquine, and hydroxychloroquine, which are used to treat malaria and systemic lupus erythematosus as well as rheumatoid arthritis.
8. Bipolar Disorder Drugs
Including: phenytoin (Dilantin) and trimethadione (Tridione).
10. Chemotherapy Drugs
Including: interferons, pamidronate, cisplatin, carboplatin, cyclosporine, tacrolimus, quinine, mitomycin C, bevacizumab, cisplatin, carboplatin, and methotrexate.
11. Osteoporosis And Hypercalcemia Medication
Including: Zoledronic acid including Reclast, and Zometa.
12. Prescription And Over-The-Counter Laxatives
Including: sodium phosphate (OSP) products like Visicol and OsmoPrep.
13. Hyperthyroidism Drugs
14. Contrast Dye
Including: dyes used in MRIs and CT-scans.
15. Ulcer Medicines
Including: cimetidine and more.
16. Illegal Drugs
Including: Cocaine, heroin, and amphetamines.
Alcoholics have a high risk of developing both kidney and liver failure, so enjoy a drink in moderation or forgo it completely. Chemicals including insecticides, herbicides, and ethylene glycol can also cause acute kidney injury.
Acute kidney failure can lead to unpleasant problems including (6):
- Shortness of breath, caused by fluid buildup in the lungs
- Chest pain, caused by inflammation of the lining that covers your heart (pericardium).
- Muscle weakness, caused by electrolyte imbalance
- Permanent kidney damage, requiring either permanent dialysis or kidney transplant for survival.
Other organs are also affected by prescriptions, including your liver, which detoxifies chemicals and metabolizes drugs (7).
- 11 Ways Dehydration Could Be Making You Fat And Sick
The average human body is around 70% water. By not drinking enough water we are causing a whole raft of …
- Fatigue, Vitamin Deficiencies, and Diabetes: 7 Health Problems that Your Hands are Warning You About
The eyes may be the windows to the soul but your hands may be the windows to your blood and …
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Add 2 Tbsp. Of This Coconut Oil Mixture To Your Morning Coffee To Burn A TON Of Calories
Do you drink coffee every morning? If yes, the following coffee creamer recipe is definitely something you’ll want to try (if …
- The 5-Minute Yoga Routine That Can Help Restore Thyroid Levels
Yoga entails more than black stretchy pants and planks. It’s an Eastern practice that goes back thousands of years, an …
- How To Use Himalayan Salt Lamps For Better Air, Sleep And Mental Clarity
Himalayan crystal salt is the purest salt available on earth. Hence why it is used a lot for salt lamps. …
- Sleepless Children Are Aging Faster At A Cellular Level
The importance of sleep is often overlooked but it really can’t be over-emphasized. While you sleep, much of your body …
- Here’s The Homemade Cannabis Oil Recipe That People Are Using as a Chemo Alternative
People have been increasingly becoming aware of the anti-cancer benefits of cannabis over the last few years. Many studies done …
- How To Grow Aloe Vera At Home (And Health Benefits)
Aloe Vera is a member of the Old World succulent group known as Aloaceae. The plant has numerous healing properties …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …
- 10 High-Protein Vegetables You Need to Start Eating Today
Protein is the building blocks of muscles as well as bone, skin, hair, and nearly every other part of your …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- The Many Benefits of Coriander Seed Oil and How to Use It
Coriander is a savory spice used extensively in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It is the seed of the cilantro …
- 4 Diet Mistakes You’re Making that Only Create More Belly Fat
Many people (especially men) find that they accumulate abdominal fat that’s very hard to get rid of. This is especially …
- Teen Invents Bra That Can Save Millions After Mom Nearly Dies Of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is one of the main health concerns that women face in this day and age. For many, learning of …