Your kidneys are essentially your blood’s filtration system.
This means that any toxins that are in your blood eventually finds their way into your kidneys, where they are later transformed and expelled through urine. All of your blood is filtered by these organs multiple times a day (1).
Both are located on your back, along your spine, and are each about the size of a fist.
Kidney disease and failure are so hard to detect, in fact, that it’s possible to lose up to 90% of kidney function without experiencing any symptoms or problems, according to WebMD.
Drug-Induced Kidney Damage
Drugs are one of the most common causes of kidney damage. Over the last 30 years, instances of drug-induced acute kidney injury have been on the rise (2).
According to a 2008 review published in American Family Physician: “Drugs cause approximately 20 percent of community-and hospital-acquired episodes of acute renal failure. Among older adults, the incidence of drug-induced nephrotoxicity may be as high as 66 percent.”
In part, drugs can cause kidney inflammation, which can lead to fibrosis and renal scarring, and thus, kidney failure.
Nephrotoxic Drugs That Cause Kidney Damage
If you already have kidney problems, these drugs can be deadly even in small doses. And so, make sure to only take medication prescribed by your healthcare provider and respect the recommended dose.
Including: ciprofloxacin, methicillin, vancomycin, aminoglycosides, cephalosporins, amphotericin B, bacitracin, and sulfonamides.
Including: acetaminophen and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID), aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, and other prescription and non-prescription painkillers.
3. COX-2 Inhibitors
Including: celecoxib (Celebrex), rofecoxib (Vioxx), and valdecoxib (Bextra).
4. Heartburn Drugs
Including: proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole (Prilosec), lansoprazole (Prevacid), pantoprazole (Protonix), rabeprazole (Rabecid, Aciphex), and esomeprazole (Nexium, Esotrex).
5. Antiviral Drugs
Including: acyclovir (Zovirax), used to treat herpes infection, and indinavir, ritonavir, and tenofovir, all used to treat HIV.
6. High Blood Pressure Drugs
Including: captopril (Capoten), lisinopril, ramipril, and angiotensin receptor blockers like candesartan and valsartan.
7. Rheumatoid Arthritis Drugs
Including: infliximab (Remicade), chloroquine, and hydroxychloroquine, which are used to treat malaria and systemic lupus erythematosus as well as rheumatoid arthritis.
8. Bipolar Disorder Drugs
Including: phenytoin (Dilantin) and trimethadione (Tridione).
10. Chemotherapy Drugs
Including: interferons, pamidronate, cisplatin, carboplatin, cyclosporine, tacrolimus, quinine, mitomycin C, bevacizumab, cisplatin, carboplatin, and methotrexate.
11. Osteoporosis And Hypercalcemia Medication
Including: Zoledronic acid including Reclast, and Zometa.
12. Prescription And Over-The-Counter Laxatives
Including: sodium phosphate (OSP) products like Visicol and OsmoPrep.
13. Hyperthyroidism Drugs
14. Contrast Dye
Including: dyes used in MRIs and CT-scans.
15. Ulcer Medicines
Including: cimetidine and more.
16. Illegal Drugs
Including: Cocaine, heroin, and amphetamines.
Alcoholics have a high risk of developing both kidney and liver failure, so enjoy a drink in moderation or forgo it completely. Chemicals including insecticides, herbicides, and ethylene glycol can also cause acute kidney injury.
Acute kidney failure can lead to unpleasant problems including (6):
- Shortness of breath, caused by fluid buildup in the lungs
- Chest pain, caused by inflammation of the lining that covers your heart (pericardium).
- Muscle weakness, caused by electrolyte imbalance
- Permanent kidney damage, requiring either permanent dialysis or kidney transplant for survival.
Other organs are also affected by prescriptions, including your liver, which detoxifies chemicals and metabolizes drugs (7).
- Marijuana Chewing Gum And 14 Other Natural IBS Treatment Options
There’s nothing worse than feeling pain every time you eat. For many people who suffer from irritable bowel syndrome, eating …
- Big Pharma Suffers Major Blow: Study Says Treating High Cholesterol With Statins Is a Waste of Time
Cholesterol and statin drugs. It used to be that we simply believed everything our doctor told us. We wouldn’t dare …
- Millions of Americans Suffer From Constant Sciatica Pain – Here’s HOW To Reverse It!
A pinched nerve in the lower back can lead to sciatica pain. And for those who experience it every day, the pain …
- Grease Your Joints With These 5 Powerful Herbs (Kick Arthritis To The Curb!)
In pain? You’re not alone. There are so many ailments that can cause achy, stiff joints. While many people find help from …
- 18 Steps To Lowering Cholesterol Naturally You Should Know About
Lowering cholesterol naturally isn’t impossible. This is especially true if you know what to do. High cholesterol is a common …
- 5 Natural Spices That Fight High Blood Pressure
There are many combined reasons why a person can develop high blood pressure, and not one specific identifiable cause. The …
- 4 Brain Nutrients Found Only in Meat, Fish and Eggs (NOT Plants)
There’s a lot of talk out there about how going meatless can be healthy. But before you chuck your chuck …
- Start Eating These 26 Foods The Moment You Notice Your Vision Getting Worse
Eyes aren’t just the window to your soul, they’re the window by which you experience the world. If don’t eat …
- Knowing These 12 Symptoms of a Stroke Can Save Your Life
Would you know the symptoms of a stroke if it were to strike? Stroke is the second leading cause of …
- 5 Simple Ways to Become Brainier
Stop feeling like you are at the bottom of the class when it comes to intelligence as by following the …
- Chemotherapy May Spread Cancer and Trigger More Aggressive Tumours, Warn Scientists
Chemotherapy is one of the most popular forms of cancer treatment out there. It involves one or more drugs that …
- 8 Ways High Blood Pressure Can Harm Your Health
Nearly 1 in 3 adults in the United States has high blood pressure, and it’s especially prevalent in women. Many …
- This Popular Moisturizer Applied To Mice For 17 Weeks Developed 69% More Cancerous Tumors
Your skin is your body’s largest and most permeable organ so you’re careful what you put on it, right? Gentle …
- Beware: 20 Medications That Cause Memory Loss
Despite the fact that they are frequently turned to for relief, prescription drugs cause over 100,000 deaths per year and …
- Your Oral Health and Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is a centuries-old Ayurvedic practice of vigorously rinsing the mouth out with, you guessed it, oil. Practitioners say …