10. Chemotherapy Drugs
Including: interferons, pamidronate, cisplatin, carboplatin, cyclosporine, tacrolimus, quinine, mitomycin C, bevacizumab, cisplatin, carboplatin, and methotrexate.
11. Osteoporosis And Hypercalcemia Medication
Including: Zoledronic acid including Reclast, and Zometa.
12. Prescription And Over-The-Counter Laxatives
Including: sodium phosphate (OSP) products like Visicol and OsmoPrep.
13. Hyperthyroidism Drugs
14. Contrast Dye
Including: dyes used in MRIs and CT-scans.
15. Ulcer Medicines
Including: cimetidine and more.
16. Illegal Drugs
Including: Cocaine, heroin, and amphetamines.
Alcoholics have a high risk of developing both kidney and liver failure, so enjoy a drink in moderation or forgo it completely. Chemicals including insecticides, herbicides, and ethylene glycol can also cause acute kidney injury.
Acute kidney failure can lead to unpleasant problems including (6):
- Shortness of breath, caused by fluid buildup in the lungs
- Chest pain, caused by inflammation of the lining that covers your heart (pericardium).
- Muscle weakness, caused by electrolyte imbalance
- Permanent kidney damage, requiring either permanent dialysis or kidney transplant for survival.
Other organs are also affected by prescriptions, including your liver, which detoxifies chemicals and metabolizes drugs (7).