If you often find yourself tired or sick, it may be time to start integrating a master tonic or two into your self-care routine. You may find one of the strongest antibiotic you can make yourself.
By definition, a tonic is a “medicinal substance taken to give a feeling of vigor or well-being”, but it’s so much more than that (1)! Natural tonics have been used for millennia to treat everything from upset stomachs to low energy and even sexual dysfunction.
In fact, during the great plague of London in 1066, four thieves robbed the homes of the sick and dying without getting ill. They exchanged their health secret in exchange for their freedom: a vinegar solution spiced with herbs and other natural ingredients. “Four thieves vinegar” quickly become the tonic of the century (2).
The Modern Health Tonic
Nowadays, tonics are used in herbal medicine by naturopaths, herbalists, and nutritionists. They typically contain powerful anti-inflammatory and antibacterial ingredients, like turmeric, ginger, and garlic.
For convenience’s sake, premade tonics are available in health food stores, pharmacies, and even juice shops. In fact, with the easy availability and heavy promotion of pharmaceuticals, few people bother to make their own tonics.
With the rise of antibiotic-resistant bacteria and the grocery list of side effects for every pill on the market, tonics are slowly regaining popularity. Many conventional families have even begun to rely on them as the first line of defense against the cold and flu.
Think of them as a cut above the old chicken soup and lemon tea remedy your mother and grandmother swore by every time you fell ill. Plus, they usually (but not always) taste much better than those artificial syrups and sprays your doctor recommends.
Better yet, none of the tonics on this list will upset your liver or wipe out your gut bacteria.
18 Master Tonic Recipes You Need To Try
For whatever your illness, there’s a tonic for you! If you’re not quite sure what you’re suffering from, try the fire cider master tonic or the cleansing tea tonic.
1. 7-Ingredient Master Tonic
This master tonic with turmeric recipe is a natural antibiotic that strengthens your immune system, purifies the blood, creates better blood circulation and lymph flow in your entire body.
- 2 tbsp turmeric powder or 2 knuckles of turmeric root
- 24 oz apple cider vinegar (always use organic)
- ¼ cup finely chopped garlic
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 fresh peppers, the hottest you can find (be careful with the cleaning – wear gloves!)
- ¼ cup grated ginger
- 2 tbsp grated horseradish
- Combine the ingredients in a bowl, except for the vinegar.
- Pour the mixture into a Mason jar.
- Add some apple cider vinegar to the mix until it fills up to the top. Ideally, the jar should ⅔ dry ingredients and the rest should be vinegar up to the top.
- Close tightly then shake.
- Keep the jar in a cool and dry place for about 2 weeks. Shake well several times a day.
- After 14 days, squeeze well and strain it.
- Use a spoonful of the mixture as needed when you feel ill.