There’s nothing like a good soup to warm you up from the inside out.
Most homemade soups are actually nutrient-dense and fight infections, but can these bowls of comfort fight cancer ?
Well, these 8 classic soups put up quite a fight!
1. Apple and Onion Soup
- 2 pounds sweet yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra-viring olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted organic butter
- 4 Granny Smith apples
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened apple cider
- 1 quart organic vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup cashew cream
- 3/4 tsp Himalayan salt and white pepper, to taste
- In a heavy stock pot, melt the butter and oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté until they become golden in color, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium-low half way through to prevent them from burning.
- While they cook, core and chop the apples.
- Once the onions are done, cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the apple cider to deglaze the pan, scraping up the pan.
- Increase the heat and to bring it to a boil.
- Cook until the cider reduces, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer gently 30 minutes.
- Add cream and simmer 10 minutes.
- To make it smooth, puree the soup in a blender.
- Adjust seasoning with salt & white pepper.
Both apples and onions contain quercetin, that protects against heart disease and cancer.
One study even suggests that quercetin is more effective than resveratrol in terms of inhibiting tumor growth.
The antioxidant is known to inhibit the growth of cancer cells from breast, colon, prostate, ovarian, endometrial, and lung tumors (1).
2. Beet and Carrot Soup
- 3 medium beets (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups of organic vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 3/4 teaspoon himalayan salt
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Peel the beets under running water to avoid making a mess.
- Cut the beets into large chunks.
- In a stock pot over medium heat, heat the oil.
- Next, saute the onion until they become translucent.
- Add the carrots, ginger, and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add beets and stock.
- Once the soup reaches a boil, simmer the soup, covered, for 50 minutes.
- Remove form heat, add orange rind, and stir well.
- Puree the soup in batches in a glass blender.
- Taste the soup, and adjust the seasonings and serve.
Beets contain betacyanin, which is effective in suppressing the development of multi-organ tumors. It’s anticancer effects are comparable to the anticancer drug, doxorubicin (adriamycin) but is much less toxic than the drug. It’s particularly potent
in the androgen-independent human prostate cancer cells (2).