If your stomach is producing too much acid, often you’ll experience symptoms.
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD or “acid reflux”) is a condition in which food and stomach acid back up into the esophagus.
Stomach acids can literally burn the esophageal lining, causing “heartburn”.
Chronic flare-ups can lead to ulcers and cancer of the esophagus.
GERD can also be caused by the production of too much stomach acid or a weak lower esophageal sphincter (LES), the little muscle at the base of the esophagus that controls the flow of food to the stomach.
Risk factors for acid reflux:
- Connective tissue disorders
- Hiatal hernia
Some symptoms of GERD:
- Chest pain
- Chronic cough
- Frequent diarrhea
- Sore throat
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Frequent regurgitation after eating
- Citrus fruits
- Fish oil
- Greasy and fatty foods
Many people suffer occasional heartburn or upset stomach. If you experience some of the above symptoms on a regular basis, however, there’s an indication that you may have a chronic problem which—if not immediately addressed—can lead to more serious conditions.
A simple test will help you determine your stomach acid level, thereby empowering you to take the appropriate steps to resolve the problem.
How To Test Stomach Acid
Swallow a tablespoon of raw, unpasteurized, unfiltered, organic apple cider vinegar.
If you feel an immediate severe burning sensation and irritation, you are most likely producing too much stomach acid (hyperchlorhydria). Below are suggestions for regulating excess acid:
- Mix 1-2 teaspoons of baking soda in a cup of warm water and drink each day
- Chew slowly and thoroughly
- Don’t eat within three hours before going to sleep
- Exercise regularly
- Drink enough water every day
- Avoid spicy and acidic foods
- Stop smoking
- Sleep on your left side with your head slightly elevated from the rest of your body
- Take effective measures to manage stress
- Drink chamomile or ginger tea
- Eat smaller amounts more frequently—rather than a large meal at any one time—and don’t lie down immediately after eating
The opposite of hyperchlorhydria is hypochlorhydria—not enough stomach acid.
The test for this is your reaction to that tablespoon of apple cider vinegar: while you are experiencing symptoms of GERD, swallow a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
If it makes you feel better, you probably have low stomach acid. To rectify this condition, drink 1-2 teaspoons of raw, unpasteurized, unfiltered, organic apple cider vinegar (ACV) in a cup of warm water 30 minutes before eating; the ACV will stimulate the production of stomach acid, which will help with digestion.
Gentle abdominal massage before a meal can also help to stimulate your stomach to secrete more acid.
Balance is Key
Too much acid: ingest an alkaline. Too little acid: ingest a mild acid.
In either case, if you experience sustained relief, you’ve figured it out. If symptoms persist regardless of the steps you take to resolve them, see your healthcare provider.
- Mom Warns Parents After Baby Gets 2nd-Degree Burns From Kid-Friendly Sunscreen
As the days get warmer and the daylight hours get longer, many parents instinctively reach for the sunscreen to keep …
- Fact or Fiction? Alcohol Can Help You Lose Weight
A recent study has found some interesting results – that moderate drinkers are often thinner than those who don’t touch …
- Dove’s ‘Real’ Beauty Products Are Filled With Cancer-Causing Chemicals, Fake Dyes and Toxic Fragrance
In one sense the marketing gurus of Dove beauty and skin care products hit the nail on the head. They …
- 18 Medicinal Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender is the sweet smelling herb with blue-violet flowers that many of us will associate with our grandmothers and childhood. …
- 20 Little-Known Uses for Dandelions From Baking and Pain RELIEF to Quickly Removing Warts
If you’ve ever had a garden or a backyard, then you know how annoying it is to get rid of …
- NASA-Recommended: 18 Plants To Effectively Purify The Air In Your House!
Having houseplants is a great way to keep your air clean. There are many air filtering plants that can purify the …
- Apple Extract Kills Colon Cancer Cells Better Than Chemotherapy Drug
Recent studies have discovered that natural compounds called Oligosaccharides, derived from apples, killed up to 46 percent of human colon cancer …
- Dangerous Chemicals Lurking In Milk Cartons And Pizza Box Finally Get Banned By The FDA
Have you ever wondered how they made milk cartons and pizza boxes resistant to oil and water? While some natural …
- How Essential Oils Affect Your Vision. What Not Enough People Know About
Essential oils from plants have been found to provide relief and healing for a wide variety of human conditions. As …
- Cancer-Stricken Woman Gets Layoff Letter After Boss Learns She’s Fighting the Disease
This story sends a pall over the whole medical profession. It also re-affirms faith in love. Carol Jumper had worked …
- More Evidence Links Agricultural Pesticides to Autism
A new study by the University of California, Davis shows a correlation between the exposure to agricultural pesticides during pregnancy …
- 9 Signs of Hormone Imbalance Women Shouldn’t Ignore
Although you may think of hormones mainly in the context of puberty and sexual activity, there are many different kinds …
- 8 Year Old Girl Cured of Terminal Stage 4 Cancer with Diet
A sad story with a happy ending. And all because of a little colored strip of paper. Eight-year-old Josie Nuñez was …
- One Herbal Shampoo That Will Give You Thick And Shiny Fast-Growing Hair
Women often abuse their hair during the everyday styling process. Heat from straighteners and curling irons as well as harsh …
- Wal-Mart to Sell Organic Food at ‘Non-Organic Prices’
On April 10, retail giant Wal-Mart announced a plan to offer packaged organic foods at prices comparable to their non-organic …