It can be hard to find desserts that satisfy your cravings without sacrificing your health.
Most desserts contain high levels of dairy and sugar, both of which are pro-inflammatory (1). As your blood sugar rises, so does your levels of inflammatory messengers called cytokines (2).
While the idea of vegan sweets may not be appealing to most people, but with the right ingredients, it’s hard to tell the difference in taste between healthy and conventional desserts.
Give this recipe a try, your body will be glad your did!
Vegan Chocolate Mint Mousse
- 40g raw organic chocolate
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 4 tbsp cacao
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp of mint extract
- Scoop out avocado meat and grate the seed. Place into a powerful blender.
- Blend avocado, coconut, cacao, syrup and flavoring together until smooth. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate in a bain marie or in a large stainless steel bowl set over a small saucepan or boiling water. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- Scoop the avocado mixture into your chocolate and whisk until smooth and airy.
- Spoon into cute serving bowls and refrigerate fro two hours.
- Serve with grated chocolate and fresh mint leaves.
Avocado contains 20 essential nutrients, including inflammation-fighting oleic acid, polyphenols and flavonoids (3,4).
This powerful food also lowers blood pressure and cholesterol, keeps the gut healthy, improves vision, supports cognitive function and boosts weight loss.
Coconut milk is the most nutritious and creamy dairy alternative. It contains compounds like lauric and capric acid, which have anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antipyretic, anti-stress and cholesterol-lowering activities (5,6). It’s also used to fight obesity and heart disease.
Cacao contains powerful antioxidants that slow the production of molecules involved in inflammation. The delicious powder even heals the cardiovascular system by improving cholesterol levels, blood pressure, blood clotting, coronary artery function, and insulin sensitivity (7).