Avocados have been dubbed a superfood and justifiably so. For a period of time they were thought to be unhealthy because they were rich in fats.
However, a little investigation eventually revealed that while that is true, avocados are rich in monounsaturated fats, which are extremely healthy.
Eating more healthy fats has been shown to prevent heart disease and certain cancers (1) as well as actually lower bad cholesterol.
Go Ahead And Enjoy That Guacamole!
Avocados are one of nature’s most well-rounded nutritional sources.
They are rich in antioxidants which battle oxidative stress and help to prevent the development of cancerous tumors. Its antioxidant contents also dramatically slow down the aging process.
Avocados contain many nutrients that help improve all systems and bodily functions. In fact, one avocado holds approximately 20 essential nutrients, including:
- Thiamine (vitamin B1); riboflavin (B2); niacin (B3); pantothenic acid (B5); B6; biotin (B7); and folic acid (B9).
- Vitamin E, which is an antioxidant that is fat soluble.
- Vitamin A which is extremely important to eye health.
- Potassium, about twice as much as bananas!
- Calcium for bones.
- Dietary fiber that assists the digestive system.
- Magnesium, which offers a wide range of health benefits.
Carotenoids and Sterols
One of the avocados most valuable roles is enhancing the bioavailability of fat-soluble carotenoids in other fruits and vegetables (2).
For example, adding avocado to a salad increases the body’s ability to absorb nutrients in the salad.
Beta-sitosterol is a phytosterols, or plant sterols, found in avocados. Two essential actions that this compound produces in the body is balancing the endocrine system and hormone regulation. It boosts certain hormones such as testosterone in men and progesterone in women. (3)
This sterol also either blocks or inhibits the body’s ability to use estrogen. This is effective in preventing the formation of hormone dependent malignancies like breast, prostate, and colon cancers.
Sterols enhance the immune system’s ability to recognize cancer and quickly respond with antitumorigenic reactions.
Boost Cognition and Mitochondrial Functions
A study which was published on PubMed discusses the effect of avocado oil on diabetic brain damage.
Subjects were fed avocado oil for a period of 90 days. The oil improved the functions of brain mitochondrial and protected mitochondrial respiration impairment. (4)
Consuming avocados can combat multiple visible signs of aging as well as internal symptoms.
During the aging process collagen drops significantly and wrinkles begin to appear.
A group of individuals from a Brazilian based university discovered that avocado oil enhances the healing abilities in the body.
It was found to reduce inflammation and promote collagen production. The researchers determined that oleic acid content of avocados was in large part responsible for these two actions. (5)
Avocados are a superfood you definitely should eat more often. It’s loaded with healthy fats that your body needs to function optimally.
Avocados are very versatile in the kitchen. So add it to your salads, smoothies or use it to make dessert!
- How to Use Turmeric Paste to Get Rid of Acne & Acne Scars Fast
Acne affects nearly all of us at some point, from puberty into our 50’s. Acne occurs due to clogged pores …
- Dirt Poor: Have Fruits and Vegetables Become Less Nutritious?
They don’t make ’em like they used to. True about cars, refrigerators, radios, and virtually every other consumable good–including food. …
- Don’t Throw Away Your Orange Peels…Use Them To Make Your Own Vitamin C Supplements!
Vitamin C is famous as a home remedy for the common cold – it’s a powerful immune system booster, essential …
- Why Bother Soaking Nuts Before Eating Them?
A porcupine has quills, opossums act dead when threatened, and newts turn their ribs into spikes when in danger. Talk …
- When Life Gives You Lemons, Make 100 Home Remedies to Improve Your Health
The mighty lemon. Pretty, sour, strong, versatile, and a great benefit to humankind. From lemonade to piccata, we use it …
- The Shocking Truth Behind GMO-Free Cheerios
Earlier this month, cereal giant General Mills announced the first finger food of American babies, the company’s original Cheerios, would …
- 7 Easy Food Swaps For Better Health
Eating right doesn’t have to be hard. Consider making these seven small changes to set yourself on a path to …
- They Thought She Was Crazy. Eating Well on 4$ a Day?! But When She Made This… Simply Amazing!
Eating a nutritious meal often proves to be a huge undertaking for millions of Americans, especially those with an average …
- 4 Surprising Ways Drinking Black Tea Does The Body Good (It’s Chock Full of Antioxidants!)
Black tea is one of the oldest beverages in the world, and over the past few decades it has only …
- The Truth About “Healthy” Vegetable Oils
There are good fats and bad fats. Knowing which is which sometimes seems like a chore. What’s worse is that …
- 6 Ways to Eat Healthy While Traveling
Whether you’re travelling for business or you’re on a family vacation, sticking to your normal healthy routine can be really …
- 4 Little-Known Foods That Are Jam-Packed With Digestive Enzymes
Enzymes are very delicate proteins that are responsible for carrying out virtually every metabolic function, from the digestion of food to the …
- 7 “Good” Foods You Can Overdose On. Unexpected Bizarre to Deadly Side Effects.
Even with healthy food, there can be too much of a good thing. Watch your intake of these healthy foods …
- Eye-opening Infographic Reveals The Extensive Destruction Coca-Cola Unleashes On Internal Organs
The Coca-Cola logo is commonplace and well-established; the slanted white lettering on a red background is recognized by virtually everyone …
- 10 Probiotic-Rich Foods To Keep Your Digestive Tract Happy
It’s important to keep your digestive system chock-full of probiotics to promote a healthy digestive system. Probiotics are bacteria that …