There’s nothing quite like the satisfaction of eating crispy, fresh fries on a nice, sunny day. But for many people, indulging in this craving isn’t without its fair share of guilt.
As you probably know, frying foods at high temperature can destroy precious nutrients and the oil used to cook these foods is often made of GMO ingredients. These oils also contain trans fats that contribute towards high cholesterol and heart disease (1).
Luckily, there are a few ways that you can enjoy fries without putting unhealthy foods in your body.
Why Use Sweet Potatoes?
Sweet potatoes are full of vitamin A and C, which support the immune system, promote the maintenance and growth of important tissues and blood cells. They also play an important role in embryonic development as well as eye, skin, bone and tooth health (5).
But that’s not all, sweet potatoes contain complex carbs which help regulate energy and stabilize mood as well as ensure proper metabolic and immune function. They also have an abundance of vitamin B6, which is important for nervous, hormonal and metabolic health.
The colorful root vegetable also contains an abundance of minerals like potassium, which is essential for proper heart and kidney function; magnesium, which is a cofactor in hundred of processes in your body and calcium, which maintains nerves, heart and blood clot function. It’s also full of wound-healing manganese and blood-maintaining iron (6,7).
Other important nutrients found in sweet potatoes include cancer-fighting beta-carotene and choline, which maintains the membranes of your cells and helps regulate inflammation.
Sweet And Salty Fries
Toss these in your oven when your feel a craving coming on.
- 1 medium sweet potato per person
- A few tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Spices (try garlic powder and paprika or cajun spices)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Wash and peel potatoes and then cut them into even fry-shaped pieces.
- Toss the fries in oil and seasoning until well coated,
- Oil your baking sheet to prevent your fries from sticking and distribute them in a single layer, making sure that they don’t touch. If you’re making lots of fries, use a second baking sheet.
- Cook for 15 minutes or so and flip them to cook on all sides.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then carefully flip the fries so they can cook on all sides.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until crispy and well cooked.
- Let them cool slightly and serve!
- How To Do a 3-Day Sugar Detox to ACCELERATE Fat Loss And Improve Your Mood!
Everybody gets a sweet tooth every once in a while, but it’s easy for these cravings to develop into full-blown …
- The World’s #1 Food For Heart Attack, Hypertension, Stroke And Cholesterol
Dates aren’t the most attractive fruit, but they certainly are sweet and nutritious. Studies show that this amazing fruit has …
- Top 6 Health Benefits of Magnesium
You probably already know a lot about the other vitamins and minerals that are crucial to your overall optimal health, …
- Make Turmeric-Tomato-Black Pepper Soup In 15 Minutes To Fight Cancer, Inflammation and More
A bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich are true tokens of childhood. Although it may seem like …
- Top 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods You Can Eat Every Day
The links between chronic inflammation and increased risk of diseases like cancer are well documented – as one study puts …
- How To Make Chocolate Cake With Avocado Instead Of Eggs And Butter
If you’re a real bonafide health nut, then chances are that you always have a few avocados in your kitchen. …
- Pineapple And Turmeric Drink Reverses Cancer-Causing Inflammation And Even Beats The Common Cold!
Pineapple, turmeric, ginger and lemon all have two things in common. They’re all ingredients that have been shown to have …
- This Drink Will Burn Stomach Fat 4X Faster, Prevent Cancer, Improve Energy And Remove Toxins
Most tea can be found either in tea bag or loose leaf form. Occasionally, it can also be fermented and …
- Do Not Use Apple Cider Vinegar If You’re On Any Of These Medications
Nothing exists in a vacuum. Our bodies are complex organisms that are constantly moving, with chemicals acting and interacting. Sometimes …
- 7 Day Alkaline Diet Plan to Fight Inflammation and Disease
Although the alkaline diet may seem like the latest celebrity craze, you shouldn’t dismiss it so quickly. Forget how you …
- Top 10 Plant-Based Protein Foods You Should Be Eating
Proteins (comprised of a variety of twenty amino acids) provide cell structure and serve as neurotransmitters between cells. There’s protein …
- How Taking Turmeric Helps Your Body Block Fat and Your Liver Remove Toxins as Fast as Possible
Turmeric, “the golden spice”, is a staple in India and surrounding regions. As of late, it’s becoming increasingly popular in …
- The First U.S. School District to Begin Serving Only Organic, GMO-Free Meals
Hail to the trailblazers! No one would argue the importance of nutrition, especially for children. As their bodies develop, they …
- Soak Chia Seeds To Supercharge Your Metabolism, Burn Fat And Fight Inflammation
You may have heard about chia pets, the adorable children’s toy made from sprouted seeds. These beloved toys are actually …
- 92 Alkaline Foods That Fight Cancer, Inflammation, Diabetes and Heart Disease
Human life, just like all life on earth, depends on appropriate pH levels in and around living organisms and cells. …