There’s nothing quite like the satisfaction of eating crispy, fresh fries on a nice, sunny day. But for many people, indulging in this craving isn’t without its fair share of guilt.
As you probably know, frying foods at high temperature can destroy precious nutrients and the oil used to cook these foods is often made of GMO ingredients. These oils also contain trans fats that contribute towards high cholesterol and heart disease (1).
Luckily, there are a few ways that you can enjoy fries without putting unhealthy foods in your body.
Why Use Sweet Potatoes?
Sweet potatoes are full of vitamin A and C, which support the immune system, promote the maintenance and growth of important tissues and blood cells. They also play an important role in embryonic development as well as eye, skin, bone and tooth health (5).
But that’s not all, sweet potatoes contain complex carbs which help regulate energy and stabilize mood as well as ensure proper metabolic and immune function. They also have an abundance of vitamin B6, which is important for nervous, hormonal and metabolic health.
The colorful root vegetable also contains an abundance of minerals like potassium, which is essential for proper heart and kidney function; magnesium, which is a cofactor in hundred of processes in your body and calcium, which maintains nerves, heart and blood clot function. It’s also full of wound-healing manganese and blood-maintaining iron (6,7).
Other important nutrients found in sweet potatoes include cancer-fighting beta-carotene and choline, which maintains the membranes of your cells and helps regulate inflammation.
Sweet And Salty Fries
Toss these in your oven when your feel a craving coming on.
- 1 medium sweet potato per person
- A few tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Spices (try garlic powder and paprika or cajun spices)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Wash and peel potatoes and then cut them into even fry-shaped pieces.
- Toss the fries in oil and seasoning until well coated,
- Oil your baking sheet to prevent your fries from sticking and distribute them in a single layer, making sure that they don’t touch. If you’re making lots of fries, use a second baking sheet.
- Cook for 15 minutes or so and flip them to cook on all sides.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then carefully flip the fries so they can cook on all sides.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until crispy and well cooked.
- Let them cool slightly and serve!
- 6 Common Foods That Build Your Bones And Hydrate Your Skin
Wintertime can be very hard on your skin and hair. When indoor heating systems warm the dry winter air, you’re …
- 13 Nutrition Myths That You Should Stop Believing
Myth #1 – Calories in, Calories Out: A Flawed Concept The type of food you eat is more important than …
- Fructose Is Your Liver’s Enemy, Not Fat
There is growing scientific consensus that one of the most common types of sugar, fructose, can be toxic to the …
- An Avocado a Day Keeps Body Fat Away
People are terrified to eat fat. Calorie counting, non-fat diets are a craze in the dieting world, but they make …
- Monsanto Ordered to Pay $93 Million to Small Town for Poisoning Citizens
Big wins can happen in small places. The West Virginia State Supreme Court finalized a big blow to the biotech …
- Mexican Judge Rescinds Monsanto’s GM Soybean Permit to Protect Honey Production
Honey farming is huge business in Mexico–the sixth largest honey producer in the world. So when farmers, beekeepers, the Mexican …
- Matcha Tea Health Benefits Include Over 100 Times More Antioxidants Than Regular Green Tea
The health benefits of green tea have been studied and documented. The source of these are the antioxidant and amino acid …
- Top 5 Worst Cooking Oils for Your Heart, Brain, and Skin
Let’s face it: Americans love fried foods. Whether it’s a delicious funnel cake from the county fair or an order …
- 1 Super-Common Food That’s Ruining Your Skin, Joints & Blood Sugar
Sometimes it’s difficult to discern trend diets from the truth about nutrition. It seems that everyone has an agenda, a …
- Vitamin E Plays a Key Role in The Production of Compounds Needed For Carrying DHA to The Brain
Easy to get if you’re eating the right foods, one simple nutrient could be the key to better brain health …
- 7 Reasons to Stop Eating This Highly Processed Seafood
Those imitation crab sticks (surimi) wrapped in packages in the fish cooler at the supermarket are very tempting: they look …
- Breast Cancer Survivor Says Raw Food Diet Helped Her Heal
Janette Murray-Wakelin is a breast cancer survivor who credits a raw food diet, meditation, physical activity, and following her intuition …
- Quick Facts, Stats and Dangers of Soda Pop
Kids are heavy consumers of soft drinks, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and they are guzzling soda pop …
- Powerful Bacteria-Killing Spice With 4X The Concentration of Antioxidants as Blueberries!
When we hear of antioxidant foods, we often hear of berries. Blueberries in particular are touted for their rich antioxidant …
- 3-Ingredient Matcha Lemonade Effectively Burns Stomach Fat And Alkalizes The Body
What’s better than a sip of lemonade to quench your thirst? Ice tea maybe? With all the added sugar in …