10. Gaze Stabilization Exercises
These vertigo treatment exercises retrain your brain to not trigger dizziness when you move too quickly. Skip the video below to 1:47 for the exercises.
- Sitting still, move your eye from one side of the room to the other, back and forth, about 10 times.
- Follow up by looking up and down about ten times, keeping your head still.
- Next, look from one corner of the room to the other in a diagonal fashion. Repeat on the other side.
- Focus on a spot on the wall in front of you and move your head side to side while focussing on the spot. Repeat, moving your head up and down and then diagonally.
Acupressure can slowly help reset your nervous system to relieve vertigo and improve sensory communication. These points also relieve anxiety.
Here are a few points to try:
Third eye: Bring your thumb to the area on your brow between your eyes and hold with steady pressure for 2 minutes.
Pericardium 6: Find the crease where your hand meets your forearm and measure two and a half finger’s width from the crease. Apply steady pressure to the spot, between your tendons using your middle finger. Hold for 1-2 minutes. Repeat on the other forearm multiple times a day.
12. Lymph Drainage Massage
Vertigo can be caused by a build-up of lymph in the inner ear. If you aren’t too active, your lymph might not drain as it should. Move it along with this simple massage.
13. Drain Your Sinuses
- To stop a sinus headache in its tracks, push your tongue against the roof of your mouth as you press your thumb right between your eyebrows.
- Hold the pressure for 20 seconds. When you release, it will stimulate the vormer bone in your nasal cavity and cause it to vibrate. Immediately, your sinuses will drain into your nose and throat and give some relief.
- Repeat every hour or so as needed to treat sinus headaches and sinus pressure.
14. Get Enough Sleep
Being sleep deprived can confuse your brain and worsen vertigo. Since vertigo can also cause sleep deprivation, these essential oils can help you out.
- 4 ounces of magnesium oil
- 10 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 10 drops Roman Chamomile Essential oil
- Mix all the ingredients into a 4 ounce (or larger) glass spray bottle. Cover and shake until the oils mingle thoroughly.
- Spray 3-5 times on the bottom of each foot to cover the whole surface before heading to bed.
15. Eat Anti-inflammatory Foods
If inflammation is putting pressure on your brain or your inner ear, it’s important to watch what you eat.
While there are plenty of foods you can eat every day to fight inflammation, this drink is a great place to start.
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Fresh or Powdered, Organic Ginger
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Organic Cinnamon Bark or Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Organic Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon of Organic, Unrefined, Unbleached, Non-deodorized Coconut Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Organic Honey
- 1 Cup of Hot Water
- Bring the water to a boil in a tea pot or sauce pan.
- Place the ginger, turmeric, and cinnamon is a small, ceramic or glass bowl.
- Pour hot water over spices, cover the bowl, and allow the mixture to steep for at least 10 minutes.
- Strain tea off of the spices into a large mug and melt coconut oil as well as honey into the tea.
- Discard used spices and enjoy.
16. Stay Hydrated
Dehydration can worsen vertigo and is also a side effect of Benign positional vertigo. It’s also a primary cause of headaches (5).
Stay hydrated with this electrolyte-packed watermelon slushie.
- 2 Cups of frozen watermelon chunks
- 2 Cups coconut water
- Combine watermelon and coconut water into a blender, and blend until smooth.
Serve and enjoy!
17. Clean Your Ears
Vertigo can be experienced temporarily when fluid builds up during an ear infection or if you ear canal is clogged with wax. The remedy below works well, but should not be attempted if you suffer from a perforated ear drum.
- White vinegar
- Rubbing alcohol
- Take a small container and fill it halfway with white vinegar and equal parts rubbing alcohol.
- Tilt your head to one side, so your ear is level and will hold the liquid inside, then gently pour in about a teaspoon or a few drops of the mixture.
- Stay still for one minute, then sit back up and allow the liquid to drain from the ear.
- Repeat twice a day until the discomfort and vertigo subsides.
18. Bonus: Natural Antibiotics
If you’re feeling dizzy because of an ear infection, treat it in as little as two days with this simple remedy.
- A few drops of tea tree oil
- Two tablespoons of olive oil
How To Use:
- Mix the tea tree oil and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Place the bowl in a larger bowl filled with boiled water, making sure the water and oil don’t mix.
- Once warm (but not hot), gently pour the oil into the ear and wait 5 minutes.
- Lay down with the painful ear against a towel-covered pillow until the whole mixture comes out.
- Repeat 2-3 times a day for two days.
There you have it! Now you know how to treat vertigo! Since many things can cause vertigo, don’t knock any of them until you try them! During treatment, avoid sudden movements and lower the intensity of your workouts.