Vaseline is a petroleum-based jelly that’s basically a byproduct of the oil industry.
But did you know that prolonged use of petroleum jelly not only disrupts the healthy bacteria living on your skin but also your body’s ability to expel toxins through its pores.
Many studies reported by Chemtox show that; “Petroleum based chemicals are being found to cause significant attritional effects to the nervous system and immune system after prolonged exposure. Illnesses identified in the medical research include adult and child cancers, numerous neurological disorders, immune system weakening, autoimmune disorders, asthma, allergies, infertility, miscarriage, and child behavior disorders including learning disabilities, mental retardation, hyperactivity and ADD (attention deficit disorders).”
Additional research done by the EWG adds that, “Many of the cosmetic industry’s chemical safety assessments reveal that common petroleum-based cosmetic ingredients can be contaminated with a cancer-causing impurity called 1,4-dioxane.”
It’s Banned In Europe
The European Union has banned many petroleum jelly products because experts are concerned they could be linked to cancer.
Women with breast cancer have twice the levels of hydrocarbons (substances found in petroleum jelly) in their breasts than women who haven’t had breast cancer.
Steer clear of any products that list petroleum jelly on the ingredient list.
How To Make Your Own Non-Petroleum Jelly
If you’re looking for an alternative to vaseline, here’s a simple recipe you can try.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons beeswax
- optional: tea tree or peppermint essential oil
- Fill a sauce pan with water and add a glass of bowl in the middle.
- Turn stove low to medium heat.
- Add coconut oil and wax and allow ingredients to melt completely.
- Remove from heat and add olive oil.
- Whisk until all ingredients are well combined. (add a few drops of essential oil if you wish to use any)
- Whisk until mixture is creamy but still pourable.
- Pour into a glass jar or any container you want to use and enjoy!
This homemade non-petroleum jelly will keep fresh on the counter for up to a year.
- ‘Broken Promises of Genetically Modified Crops:’ Huge NY Times Investigation Exposes the Truth About GMOs, Monsanto’s Biggest Lies
Let’s face it, Monsanto has gotten away with crimes even the most hardened criminals would never even imagine doing. And …
- Grandparents Who Babysit Are Less Likely to Develop Alzheimer’s
If you’re in your golden years, chances are you love spending time with your grandchildren. But did you ever stop …
- You Will Be Shocked by What Caused This Child’s Massive Tooth Decay!
For many families around the world, a trip to the dentist is a luxury they can’t afford. This has led …
- How to Keep Your Gut Bacteria Healthy While Eating Delicious Foods You’ll Love
Many of us have associated bacteria with disease and infection ever since we were kids – after all, from an …
- Want To Harvest Organic Potatoes In Your Own Backyard In Just 35 Days? Here’s How!
Potatoes are one of the easiest crops to grow. Even the most inhospitable soils will gladly incubate a potato or two, …
- 5 DIY Natural Recipes to Help You Sleep Like a Baby
It is so annoying when you can’t seem to sleep properly at night. The reason could be multifaceted too – …
- The Leaves of Soursop Are 1000 Times Stronger at Killing Cancer Cells Than Chemotherapy
Graviola, or soursop, is a tropical fruit native to South America and the Caribbean. Known also as custard apple (THAT …
- CVS Pharmacies to Stop Tobacco Sales: Big Blow to Big Tobacco
Even if you don’t smoke, you should be celebrating CVS’s latest move. Starting October 1 of this year, you will no longer …
- The Ancient German Remedy That Unclogs Your Arteries And Boosts Your Immune System
In most cases, high cholesterol is an indication of an unhealthy lifestyle of fatty foods and lack of exercise. Over …
- Thermograms: Safer, More Accurate than Mammograms
Until recently, the medical community urged every woman over the age of 40 to get yearly mammograms. As the dangers …
- This Is What It Means To Season Your Cast Iron Pans With Coconut Oil
While ceramic and glass cookware have been popular for a while, old-fashioned cast iron cookware is coming back into style. These …
- This Simple Snack Combines 3 Proven Foods To Fight Depression Without Any Side Effects
According to the National Institute of Health (NIH), major depression is currently one of the most common mental disorders in …
- 7 Surprising Health Benefits of Meditation Backed by Science
Age-old practices backed by modern science. No matter the tradition, as skeptical Americans, we require empirical evidence before we embrace …
- Berkeley Doctor Claims People Die From Chemotherapy, Not Cancer [Watch]
Peter Glidden, BS, ND is a naturopath who describes himself as follows: “I am an outspoken, steadfast stand for the …
- Popular Over-The-Counter Pills Used For Colds, Allergies And Pain Relief Linked to Dementia
We assume that over-the-counter meds for common ailments such as allergies and sleeplessness are safe. The most popular brands of these …