What you cook your food in is as important as the food itself.
Non-stick and aluminum cookware are known to leach, which introduces metals and other toxins into your food.
There are much safer choices: stainless steel, glass, high-quality ceramics, cast iron, and enameled cast iron.
Perhaps the optimal option of these is enameled cast iron, for a variety of reasons:
- Easy to clean
- Non-toxic (doesn’t leach)
- Even heat distribution
- No rusting
- No need to season the pot after each use
- Acidic foods (like tomatoes) are not a problem
According to the non-profit Weston A. Price Foundation, a nutrition education organization, metal poisoning is much more prevalent than we realize and cheap cookware is a large contributor. There are ways to avoid environmental exposure and using “glass, cast iron, carbon steel, titanium and lead-free crock pots (slow cookers) and enamels are best” for cooking.
Metal toxicity is a cumulative process. We are exposed to metals in our food, air, water, and personal care products. Over time, it can cause headaches, fatigue, vision problems, mood swings and anxiety, disruption of the nervous system, chronic pain, gastrointestinal problems, and others. Heat in combination with metals and chemicals can create unwelcome and unhealthy reactions. The best way to avoid it is to…avoid it.
When it comes to something as basic as the pots and pans in which you cook your food, selecting good-quality cookware is worth some thought. Because enamaled cast iron is so durable, it is pricey: a Dutch oven goes for around $100. On the other side, the cookware produced these days is decorative as well as functional; you can hand down your enameled cast iron to your children and grandchildren—not something you would do with stainless steel or glass. Admittedly an investment, you can buy one piece at a time to gradually replace your daily cookware.
If you can’t afford the high price of enameled cast iron, at least ditch the aluminum and non-stick pans for stainless steel. You can find tons of these at thrift stores for a fraction of the new cost (it’s also a great resource for replacing broken lids) and, because stainless steel is non-porous, a good scrubbing in hot water will make it as clean as new.
Heavy metal belongs on your MP3 player, not in your bloodstream.
- Vitamin E Plays a Key Role in The Production of Compounds Needed For Carrying DHA to The Brain
Easy to get if you’re eating the right foods, one simple nutrient could be the key to better brain health …
- Annie’s Sells Out to GMO Giant General Mills. Here’s What You’re Not Being Told.
Health- and environmentally-conscious consumers look specifically for natural and organic foods at the grocery store. When we find something we …
- Federal Judge Gives City Of Spokane, WA, The Go Ahead To Sue Monsanto
Monsanto is easily one of the world’s richest companies. As of August 31, 2016, their last fiscal quarter, the company …
- Why Restricting Your Eating Time Period To 8 Hours Will Transform Your Health And Fitness!
People will go to great lengths to lose a little weight. Losing weight and keeping it off isn’t about following …
- Why Hair Loss Is An Early Warning Sign You Should Never Ignore (And What To Do About It!)
Everyone knows what it’s like to lose a little hair. In fact, we lose 50-100 strands per day on average …
- Green Marijuana-Infused Wine Is Now Being Sold In The U.S.
Wine never goes out of style. Whether it’s reinventing itself with different flavors, colors, packaging (champagne popsicles anyone?) and audiences …
- Just a Few Drops of THESE Essential Oils Will Have You Sleeping in No Time!
As you’ve probably experienced yourself, a night of poor sleep can make a world of difference in your mood, ability …
- You Will Be Shocked by What Caused This Child’s Massive Tooth Decay!
For many families around the world, a trip to the dentist is a luxury they can’t afford. This has led …
- The Dangers of Air Fresheners (Plus 10 Natural Options)
You’ve probably seen the commercial: A mom walks into a teenager’s room, takes a sniff and tells him no “nice” …
- This 2-ingredient IBS Healing Tea Has Been Proven to Work Better Than Medication
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a condition that affects 60 million Americans and its specific cause is unknown. In some …
- This Is What Your Farts Reveal About Your Health
Being gassy is never fun, especially when you’re surrounded by other people. Most people think that they fart more than …
- Trucker Gets Off 25 Meds and Overcomes Cancer With Raw Food Diet!
Dave Conrardy is a former trucker who, not too long ago, was dying from cancer, heart disease, diabetes, kidney leakage, …
- Grandparents Who Babysit Are Less Likely to Develop Alzheimer’s
If you’re in your golden years, chances are you love spending time with your grandchildren. But did you ever stop …
- High Blood Sugar May Increase Chances of Memory Trouble, Study Shows
A recent study has demonstrated that high blood sugar levels, and not even those high enough to cause pre or …
- 8 Surprising Reasons Why Drinking Red Wine Can Actually Be Good For Your Overall Health
While too much of anything is inevitably bad for you, indulging in certain vices in moderation can actually have a …