Your lymphatic system plays an important role in helping your body get rid of waste and toxins. One of its main function is to transport lymph throughout your body. Lymph is a clear-to-white fluid made of: White blood cells, especially lymphocytes, the cells that attack bacteria in the blood.
And lymph nodes are the filters along the lymphatic system. Their job is to filter out and trap bacteria, viruses, cancer cells, and other unwanted substances, and to make sure they are safely eliminated from the body. (1)
Aside from exercising and rebounding, dry skin brushing ranks among the top techniques used for stimulating your lymphatic system. It’s effective and cheap.
How Does Dry Skin Brushing Work?
The largest organ for detoxifying the body is your skin. In fact, almost a third of your body’s toxins are expelled through your skin’s pores (2). Dry skin brushing unclogs pores, which in turn allows your body to excrete toxins that would otherwise be trapped.
Dry Skin Brushing: How To Do It
- Purchase a natural bristle brush. (the longer the handle the easier it’ll be to use on your back)
- Remove all clothes and stand naked in a bathtub. (this will save you time on cleaning up the dead skin)
- Start brushing at your feet and move in long sweeping motions toward your heart. (always brush toward your heart)
- Brush several times in each area, overlapping as you go.
- Take care as you brush over more sensitive areas, like breasts. Your skin will become less sensitive the more you dry brush.
- Once you’ve brushed your entire body, jump in the shower.
- After getting out of the shower, pat dry skin and apply rose hip or coconut oil.
Try to do this twice a day for best results. Once in the morning and a second time in the evening. (3)
Health Benefits of Dry Skin Brushing
- Stimulate Your Lymphatic System
- Increase Circulation
- Reduce Cellulite – “When we’d heard dry skin brushing was an effective method for reducing cellulite, we knew we had to include it in our anti-cellulite road test. Sure enough, it was indeed one of the more successful ways to smooth away less-than-perfect spots on your legs.” (4)
- Stress Relief
- Improve Digestion and Kidney Function – “…many naturopathic doctors use dry brushing to help with bloating because massaging the lymph nodes helps the body shed excess water and toxins. One of the immediate effects of dry brushing is smoother skin, but it can also help improve digestion, kidney function, and more.” (5)
- Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and The Brain
Published in 2008, Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain remains a much-sought-out book by the fitness …
- 13 Ways to Love Yourself on Valentine’s Day
Valentine’s Day can be a touchy, even stressful, subject for some especially if you don’t love yourself as much as …
- Taking a Whiff of These 10 Scents Can Relieve Stress Almost Instantly
Ever wonder why some scents make you feel relaxed or energized? It’s no coincidence and we have our olfactory system …
- 5 Reasons Why You Don’t Want Your Cholesterol Levels Too Low
We hear about cholesterol and how it leads to cardiovascular disease and now cancer. People have latched on to that …
- CVS Pharmacies to Stop Tobacco Sales: Big Blow to Big Tobacco
Even if you don’t smoke, you should be celebrating CVS’s latest move. Starting October 1 of this year, you will no longer …
- Top 9 Signs and Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis
Right now, there are more than 2.3 million people in the world who are affected by Multiple Sclerosis (MS).  …
- Breastfeeding Boosts Your Baby’s Immune System And Lowers Your Risk of Ovarian And Breast Cancer
Breastfeeding isn’t easy for most new mothers, but science is suggesting that it’s a struggle worth pushing through. When it …
- 4 Things You Absolutely Need to Know About E-Cigarettes. Don’t Buy Any Until You’ve Read This!
As part of a plan to regulate electronic (“e-”) cigarettes, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced a new …
- This Is What Happens To Your Body The Day You Stop Eating Bread
Bread is a staple of the western diet. Most restaurants always keep it stocked on the dinning table while many …
- Terminal Hospice Patient Exposes Truth About Ensure Nutrition Drinks
Carrol Krause was a former Herald-Times reporter from Indiana. Following her 2014 ovarian cancer diagnosis, Carrol turned to the Internet …
- 10 Things to Avoid To Keep Your Eyes Healthy
There are many things people do that can wreak havoc on their eyesight. From falling asleep with your contact lenses …
- 21 Surprising Uses For Lemons That You Haven’t Tried Yet, But Should
There’s a reason why cleaning products often smell like lemon. This little citrus fruit works as a powerful cleaner and …
- World’s Fittest Grandma Bodybuilder Just Celebrated Her 80th Birthday!
Despite what many people will tell you, bodybuilding isn’t just for the young and fit: it can be learned at …
- 8 Natural Ways to Alleviate Pain
When you experience pain of any type, it can be enough to drive you to reach for some acetaminophen or …
- Acidic Diet Increases Risk of Diabetes, Study Says
A diet high in acidic foods — meat, fish, and sodas, for instance — may put some women at greater …