Many people suffer from joint pain, whether from osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, injury, uric acid crystals, years of normal wear and tear, and other causes. Known anti-inflammatories like turmeric, honey, garlic, and ginger can help ease the pain but there’s another, less popular food that can help: gelatin.
Gelatin is the collagen extracted from animal bones, tendons, and skin. Vegan versions exist that are made from agar agar (cooked and pressed algae) or carrageenan (seaweed). While the vegan “gelatin” has the same texture for use in preparing other foods, it doesn’t have the same healing effects. Here we are talking about traditional gelatin, sourced from pigs or bovine animals.
Gelatin For Joint Pain
Gelatin has many health benefits , primarily due to its protein and collagen content.
These elements are required for healthy bones, which makes sense since they are extracted from bones and other meat scraps. Collagen is structural protein and the most abundant protein in the body, connecting everything together. It’s found in skin, bones, hair, and connective tissue. Gelatin contains six to twelve grams of protein per tablespoon (1).
See also: anti inflammatory foods
Our bodies absorb the collagen in gelatin, adding to our own supply.
Gelatin eases joint pain in two ways: by strengthening bones and boosting our own collagen levels to support connective tissue. Gelatin contains chondroitin, a chemical found in cartilage that promotes absorption of moisture into the fibers to maintain flexibility and mobility (2).
Studies of the effects of taking collagen for the treatment of osteoarthritis and osteoporosis have found that our own cartilage absorbs it, thereby lubricating and strengthening joint’s connective tissue, effectively easing pain (3).
Some time is required for the body to absorb the collagen from gelatin—it could take a few months. Given this, a study published in the journal Complementary Therapeutic Medicine in 2012 monitored subjects’ joint pain levels at three and six months after beginning collagen supplementation. There wasn’t a difference between the control group and the group that took a collagen supplement after three months.
After six months, however, the difference between the groups was significant. There was a measurable reduction of pain in joints in the back, arms, and legs in the collagen group versus the control group (4).
Gelatin is clear, tasteless, and odorless, which makes it marvelous to mix with other ingredients in a variety of ways. The sugar- and chemical-laden version that comes in convenient, colorful little boxes is not the best source of gelatin. Organic, unflavored gelatin will give you all the benefits without that other junk.
Below is a simple recipe that combines gelatin with other foods to make a tasty, nutritious, and fun treat. The gelatin will relieve joint pain; seeds contain fiber, healthy fats, and minerals for bone support; raisins provide iron; and honey is a sweet anti-inflammatory.
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons organic unflavored gelatin
- 8 teaspoons flaxseeds
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- ¾ cup honey
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly until well blended. Store in a glass jar at room temperature.
- One teaspoon twice a day, before breakfast and lunch.
- You Can Fight Arthritis With These Natural Herbs And Oils
Arthritis consists of more than 100 different conditions, including mild forms of tendinitis and bursitis as well as crippling rheumatoid …
- The Ultimate Ginger-Turmeric-Carrot Juice To Replace Your Pain And Inflammation Meds
Anyone suffering from arthritis understands how much the condition can make everyday life difficult. When it’s experienced in the knees …
- 19 Ways To Ease Pain From Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) occurs when the nerves that run through a small space in the wrist become compressed. It’s …
- How To Make a Ginger Compress To Quickly Relieve Pain Caused by Inflammation
Osteoartritis, the most common form of arthritis, affects millions of people all over the world (1). The condition causes pain …
- How To Make An Apple Cider Vinegar Soak To Treat Arthritis And Joint Pain
Arthritis can be debilitating. If you are used to being active, dealing with chronic inflammation, pain, and stiffness in your …
- Study Shows Superior Results For Curcumin Treatment in Patients With Active Rheumatoid Arthritis
Turmeric, the bright orange cousin of ginger, has graduated from a colorful spice in Indian cuisine, to a widely recognized …
- High-Fiber Diet Protects Against Knee Osteoarthritis! Here’s How Much You Should Eat Per Day…
Research published in a new edition of the Annals of Rheumatic Disease showed that individuals who ate high fiber diets …
- Beat Arthritis and Joint Pain With This Anti-Inflammatory Gummy Snack (Tastes Surprisingly Good!)
Everyone – especially kids – loves gummy snacks like fruit roll-ups and Gushers, but many parents struggle with finding healthy …
- Grease Your Joints With These 5 Powerful Herbs (Kick Arthritis To The Curb!)
In pain? You’re not alone. There are so many ailments that can cause achy, stiff joints. While many people find help from …
- A Deficiency In This Vitamin Can Cause You Agonizing Back and Joint Pain
According to the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health: “Worldwide, an estimated 1 billion people have inadequate levels of …
- Say Goodbye to Gout Forever With This Powerful Natural Treatment!
Gout is a painful condition that can occur when your body is producing an excess amount of uric acid but luckily natural …
- How To Quickly Remove Uric Acid Crystallization From Your Body To Prevent Gout And Joint Pain
The formation of uric acid crystals in your joints is a perfect example of poor lifestyle choices. Left unattended, it …
- 11 Worst Arthritis Pain Mistakes Everyone Should Avoid
Arthritis pain is one of the most common conditions experienced by mankind, and to date is one of the least …
- People Go Crazy For This Recipe! It Heals Knee, Bone and Joint Pain
Like any machine, over time our bodies wear down. Joints are especially susceptible to wear and tear because of the …
- Got Knee Pain? Try This Cinnamon-Pineapple Smoothie To Nourish Your Joints And Fight Inflammation
Your knees keep you mobile and strong throughout your life. They’re also one of the first areas of your body …