Many people suffer from joint pain, whether from osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, injury, uric acid crystals, years of normal wear and tear, and other causes.
Known anti-inflammatories like turmeric, honey, garlic, and ginger can help ease the pain but there’s another, less popular food that can help: gelatin.
Gelatin is the collagen extracted from animal bones, tendons, and skin. Vegan versions exist that are made from agar agar (cooked and pressed algae) or carrageenan (seaweed).
While the vegan “gelatin” has the same texture for use in preparing other foods, it doesn’t have the same healing effects. Here we are talking about traditional gelatin, sourced from pigs or bovine animals.
Gelatin For Joint Pain
Gelatin has many health benefits , primarily due to its protein and collagen content.
These elements are required for healthy bones, which makes sense since they are extracted from bones and other meat scraps. Collagen is structural protein and the most abundant protein in the body, connecting everything together. It’s found in skin, bones, hair, and connective tissue. Gelatin contains six to twelve grams of protein per tablespoon (1).
Our bodies absorb the collagen in gelatin, adding to our own supply.
Gelatin eases joint pain in two ways: by strengthening bones and boosting our own collagen levels to support connective tissue. Gelatin contains chondroitin, a chemical found in cartilage that promotes absorption of moisture into the fibers to maintain flexibility and mobility (2).
Studies of the effects of taking collagen for the treatment of osteoarthritis and osteoporosis have found that our own cartilage absorbs it, thereby lubricating and strengthening joint’s connective tissue, effectively easing pain (3).
Some time is required for the body to absorb the collagen from gelatin—it could take a few months. Given this, a study published in the journal Complementary Therapeutic Medicine in 2012 monitored subjects’ joint pain levels at three and six months after beginning collagen supplementation. There wasn’t a difference between the control group and the group that took a collagen supplement after three months.
After six months, however, the difference between the groups was significant. There was a measurable reduction of pain in joints in the back, arms, and legs in the collagen group versus the control group (4).
Gelatin is clear, tasteless, and odorless, which makes it marvelous to mix with other ingredients in a variety of ways. The sugar- and chemical-laden version that comes in convenient, colorful little boxes is not the best source of gelatin. Organic, unflavored gelatin will give you all the benefits without that other junk.
Below is a simple, nutritious recipe that combines gelatin with other foods to make a tasty, nutritious, and fun treat. The gelatin will relieve joint pain; seeds contain fiber, healthy fats, and minerals for bone support; raisins provide iron; and honey is a sweet anti-inflammatory.
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons organic unflavored gelatin
- 8 teaspoons flaxseeds
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- ¾ cup honey
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly until well blended. Store in a glass jar at room temperature.
- One teaspoon twice a day, before breakfast and lunch.
- 11 Ways Dehydration Could Be Making You Fat And Sick
The average human body is around 70% water. By not drinking enough water we are causing a whole raft of …
- Fatigue, Vitamin Deficiencies, and Diabetes: 7 Health Problems that Your Hands are Warning You About
The eyes may be the windows to the soul but your hands may be the windows to your blood and …
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Add 2 Tbsp. Of This Coconut Oil Mixture To Your Morning Coffee To Burn A TON Of Calories
Do you drink coffee every morning? If yes, the following coffee creamer recipe is definitely something you’ll want to try (if …
- The 5-Minute Yoga Routine That Can Help Restore Thyroid Levels
Yoga entails more than black stretchy pants and planks. It’s an Eastern practice that goes back thousands of years, an …
- How To Use Himalayan Salt Lamps For Better Air, Sleep And Mental Clarity
Himalayan crystal salt is the purest salt available on earth. Hence why it is used a lot for salt lamps. …
- Sleepless Children Are Aging Faster At A Cellular Level
The importance of sleep is often overlooked but it really can’t be over-emphasized. While you sleep, much of your body …
- Here’s The Homemade Cannabis Oil Recipe That People Are Using as a Chemo Alternative
People have been increasingly becoming aware of the anti-cancer benefits of cannabis over the last few years. Many studies done …
- How To Grow Aloe Vera At Home (And Health Benefits)
Aloe Vera is a member of the Old World succulent group known as Aloaceae. The plant has numerous healing properties …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …
- 10 High-Protein Vegetables You Need to Start Eating Today
Protein is the building blocks of muscles as well as bone, skin, hair, and nearly every other part of your …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- The Many Benefits of Coriander Seed Oil and How to Use It
Coriander is a savory spice used extensively in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It is the seed of the cilantro …
- 4 Diet Mistakes You’re Making that Only Create More Belly Fat
Many people (especially men) find that they accumulate abdominal fat that’s very hard to get rid of. This is especially …
- Teen Invents Bra That Can Save Millions After Mom Nearly Dies Of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is one of the main health concerns that women face in this day and age. For many, learning of …