Foods that are pesticides free – Accessibility?
While many health-conscious shoppers choose to buy organic produce, the reality is that this option isn’t always accessible to everyone. With organic food often costing significantly more than non-organic food due to production, marketing and distribution costs as well as the limits of supply and demand (according to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations), many people struggle to buy organic, even if they want to make healthier, ethically sourced food a part of their daily diet. So where’s the best place to buy organic foods that are pesticides free?
Enter the Environmental Working Group, an organization which produces an annual report on the state of organic food in North America; their “dirty dozen” and “clean fifteen” lists of foods that are affected most and least by pesticides, respectively, have become a sort of bible for consumers trying to make the healthiest, most sustainable choices when it comes to produce, without breaking the bank.
This year, as in previous years, spinach, kale and collard greens made the Dirty Dozen list, meaning that if you’re going to splurge on organic produce, you should probably focus on organic versions of these popular veggies. Other foods featured on the Dirty Dozen list were apples, cucumbers, bell peppers, and grapes – all foods with relatively thin skins that don’t provide much protection from the harmful effects of pesticides.
Foods That Are Almost Completely Pesticide-Free
By contrast, foods on the “Clean Fifteen” list such as avocados, cantaloupe, eggplant, and grapefruit had relatively low rates of pesticide contamination – so even if you can’t afford to buy organic all the time, you can rest assured knowing that even non-organic versions of these foods are relatively safe to consume. Though they are not completely foods that are pesticides free, they are accessible.
How clean you ask? According to the EWG of all avocados tested, only 1 percent showed any detectable pesticides at all, while a grand total of 89 percent of all pineapples tested had zero residues according to the study.
While non-organic sweet corn and papaya have very low amounts of pesticides 95% of these being sold on the market today are GMOs.
Whether you buy local, organic produce or opt to mix conventional and organic foods, the Mayo Clinic recommends the following tips for making sure your food is both as health and sustainable as possible:
- Mix it up. Don’t buy all your produce from a single source – buying a wider variety of foods from multiple sources will limit your exposure to any single pesticide.
- Buy seasonal food. Try locating a local farmer’s market and buying produce there to support local agriculture and make sure that you’re getting freshest food possible.
- Wash all your produce thoroughly before eating it. This helps remove not only pesticide residue, but also dirt and bacteria that even organic produce can have.
- Be aware of the contents of what you eat. Always read food labels carefully and don’t assume that just because a label says “organic” the food is automatically good for you – junk food made from organic ingredients can still be high in sugar and salt.
- http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/personal-finance/household-finances/is-organic-food- too-costly/article4401420/
- http://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/natural-resources-environment/organic-agriculture/organic-market- overview.aspx
- http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/organic-food/art- 20043880?pg=2
- How To Do a 3-Day Sugar Detox to ACCELERATE Fat Loss And Improve Your Mood!
Everybody gets a sweet tooth every once in a while, but it’s easy for these cravings to develop into full-blown …
- The World’s #1 Food For Heart Attack, Hypertension, Stroke And Cholesterol
Dates aren’t the most attractive fruit, but they certainly are sweet and nutritious. Studies show that this amazing fruit has …
- Top 6 Health Benefits of Magnesium
You probably already know a lot about the other vitamins and minerals that are crucial to your overall optimal health, …
- Make Turmeric-Tomato-Black Pepper Soup In 15 Minutes To Fight Cancer, Inflammation and More
A bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich are true tokens of childhood. Although it may seem like …
- Top 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods You Can Eat Every Day
The links between chronic inflammation and increased risk of diseases like cancer are well documented – as one study puts …
- How To Make Chocolate Cake With Avocado Instead Of Eggs And Butter
If you’re a real bonafide health nut, then chances are that you always have a few avocados in your kitchen. …
- Pineapple And Turmeric Drink Reverses Cancer-Causing Inflammation And Even Beats The Common Cold!
Pineapple, turmeric, ginger and lemon all have two things in common. They’re all ingredients that have been shown to have …
- This Drink Will Burn Stomach Fat 4X Faster, Prevent Cancer, Improve Energy And Remove Toxins
Most tea can be found either in tea bag or loose leaf form. Occasionally, it can also be fermented and …
- Do Not Use Apple Cider Vinegar If You’re On Any Of These Medications
Nothing exists in a vacuum. Our bodies are complex organisms that are constantly moving, with chemicals acting and interacting. Sometimes …
- 7 Day Alkaline Diet Plan to Fight Inflammation and Disease
Although the alkaline diet may seem like the latest celebrity craze, you shouldn’t dismiss it so quickly. Forget how you …
- Top 10 Plant-Based Protein Foods You Should Be Eating
Proteins (comprised of a variety of twenty amino acids) provide cell structure and serve as neurotransmitters between cells. There’s protein …
- How Taking Turmeric Helps Your Body Block Fat and Your Liver Remove Toxins as Fast as Possible
Turmeric, “the golden spice”, is a staple in India and surrounding regions. As of late, it’s becoming increasingly popular in …
- The First U.S. School District to Begin Serving Only Organic, GMO-Free Meals
Hail to the trailblazers! No one would argue the importance of nutrition, especially for children. As their bodies develop, they …
- Soak Chia Seeds To Supercharge Your Metabolism, Burn Fat And Fight Inflammation
You may have heard about chia pets, the adorable children’s toy made from sprouted seeds. These beloved toys are actually …
- 92 Alkaline Foods That Fight Cancer, Inflammation, Diabetes and Heart Disease
Human life, just like all life on earth, depends on appropriate pH levels in and around living organisms and cells. …