Not only is it delicious and reminiscent of the tropics, pineapple (which is neither pine nor apple) has nutrition and health benefits you may not know about.
Bromelain is also an anticoagulant that aids in digestion and improves symptoms of angina. It thins mucus as well, which was discovered when testing pineapple for its effects on tuberculosis.
Concentrated in the stem and core of the fruit which are tough, you can get the most bromelain out of the pineapple by juicing these parts. Raw pineapple works best, as the cooking and pasteurization processes remove much of its medicinal effects.
Pineapples contain a good amount of vitamin C, B vitamins, and potassium as well as calcium, vitamin A, iron, manganese, and beta-carotene.
Vitamin C is an antioxidant and supports the immune system. It isn’t produced in the body and isn’t stored but is necessary for the body to be able to combat infection and disease.
Potassium is a necessary mineral that maintains nerves, muscles, and blood pressure and is found in every cell in the body. In addition, pineapple is rich in fiber and manganese, a mineral that contributes to bone and connective tissue strength.
Pineapple’s antioxidants are effective in fighting germs which is why it helps heal sore throats and cure urinary tract and ear infections. Its expectorant quality makes it an extraordinary base for a cough suppressant–found to work better than what you might buy in a pharmacy. Here’s the recipe that is easily made at home:
Pineapple Cough Syrup Suppressant [Recipe]
- 1 cup fresh pineapple
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 piece of raw ginger (about 1½ tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon raw, unfiltered honey
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Combine all ingredients in a blender or stir until well combined in a glass. Take ¼ cup, 2-3 times per day, and repeat recipe daily.
Refrigeration doesn’t affect its nutrition so after you cut open your pineapple, it’s okay to chill it.
Since pineapple is rich in potassium, if you take beta-blockers–which cause potassium levels in the blood to increase–moderate your intake. This may be difficult because pineapple tastes so wonderful.
- Eat Seaweed To Boost Your Metabolism, Heal Your Thyroid And Fight Off Radiation
Just when you were getting used to kale, a new green superfood is ready to take its place. Yes, that’s …
- The Misunderstood Benefits of Bananas
Original article written by Natasha Longo, comments by Daily Health Post. The misinformation about bananas on the internet is fairly …
- You Can Help Your Thyroid by Temporarily Reducing or Avoiding Goitrogenic Foods
The thyroid is part of the endocrine system, a small gland shaped like a butterfly and located in the lower …
- Drink THIS Before Bed To Boost Your Metabolism And Burn More Fat
Being overweight can take a real toll on your confidence as well as your health. Working out, eating well, and …
- 5 Reasons Why Nutella Should be Banned from Your Breakfast Table
Nutella hazelnut spread is delicious–no doubt about it. But is nutella healthy for breakfast? Hardly. It’s more a spreadable candy bar, no mistake.
- Top 10 Worst Things That Can Happen When You Run Out Of These Important Nutrients
No matter who you are, your body needs a variety of vitamins and minerals to stay up and running. If …
- Here’s Why You Should Stop Using Canola Oil or Margarine!
Vegetable oils and margarine are some of the most misunderstood and over-recommended foods in the health community. You’ve probably heard …
- How Many Eggs Can I Eat? Here’s What The Experts are Saying
There’s no need to worry about consuming egg yolks. Long thought to contribute to the body’s cholesterol levels, groups like …
- Caffeine: Friend or Foe?
If you’re like many adults in the US, your morning starts off with a hot cup of coffee. You tell …
- 8 Surprising Reasons Why You Need to Be Drinking Kefir. (It’s Like Yogurt, But Better!)
Just about every culture in the world endorses a fermented food or drink for its health benefits, and has done …
- The Health Benefits of the Humble Cranberry
Cranberry juice is a popular beverage and as the holiday season approaches, more people will be considering adding cranberries to …
- Why Sugar Free Soda May Compromise Your Healthy Eating Plans
When you are concerned about maintaining or losing weight, sugar free soda may seem like a great treat to incorporate …
- 5 Deadly Reasons to Stop Eating High Fructose Corn Syrup
There is on-going debate about the nutritional impact of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). The Corn Refiner’s Association has published …
- 5 Healthy Swiss Chard Recipes to Boost Your Intake of Vitamin K
Swiss chard is vastly underrated in the vegetable kingdom. With 16% more iron than kale, it is also an excellent …
- 4 Misleading Food Labels and What They Actually Mean
Over the last few decades, researchers have immersed themselves in studying the impact of food labels. Food scientists, psychologist, and …