Did you know that many of the vitamins and nutrient in your food die off during the cooking process? Water soluble vitamins like B, C, and polyphenols are most vulnerable (1).
Therefore, some foods are best eaten raw to make their nutrients more bioavailable. And one of the best ways to eat raw fruits and vegetables is to drink them in smoothies.
5 Delicious Weight Loss Smoothies
To make all the recipes below, combine frozen ingredients first, followed by dry ingredients and liquids. Blend until smooth. Add extra toppings like coconut, granola, or seeds before serving. Enjoy immediately.
1. Strawberry Banana Smoothie
This smoothie is perfectly sweet and satisfactory while requiring very little prep time. Plus, it’s under 500 calories and contains lot of protein, vitamin C, calcium, and Riboflavin.
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1/2 banana
- 2 tablespoons sliced raw nuts (try Almonds, cashews, or walnuts)
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened granola
- 1 cup unsweetened Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
Key Ingredient: Strawberries
Strawberries contain anthocyanins, an anti-inflammatory compound that has positive effects on metabolism and appetite suppression (2).
Dr. Leo Galland explains that this is partly due to fruit’s ability to stimulate metabolism-boosting hormones and its ability to slow down the digestion of starchy foods to help regulate blood sugar (3).
Dr. Eric Rimm, associate professor at the Harvard School of Public Health conducted a study that found that eating three or more servings of 1/2 cup strawberries each week could considerably reduce heart attack risk (5).
2. Pineapple Kale Green Smoothie
This smoothie is a perfect balance of carbs, fats, and proteins (20 grams!) to give you energy, and nourish your muscles. Drink it after working out to lose weight, maintain lean muscle mass, and prevent slow metabolism.
Protein also helps you feel full for longer, stabilizing blood sugar, burn extra calories during digestion, and boost energy expenditure. This smoothie even contains 113% of your daily value of Vitamin A, 130% DV of Vitamin B6, 252% DV of Vitamin C, and 1051% DV of Vitamin K (6).
- 2 cups raw kale leaves, stems removed
- 3/4 cup almond
- 1 banana, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup raw pineapple pieces
- 2 tbsp unsweetened peanut butter
- 1 to 3 tsp honey, to taste
Key Ingredients: Kale and Pineapple
Kale is packed with vitamin A, which improves eye function, improves bone health, and supports cell growth and differentiation (7,8). It’s also full of vitamin C, which prevents heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer, osteoarthritis, age-related muscular degeneration, and asthma (9).
3. Turmeric and Ginger Tropical Smoothie
This smoothie incorporates a variety of spices to boost weight loss and flush out toxins. Combined with drinking plenty of water this smoothie will provide noticeable results and prevent overeating.
In terms of nutrients, the smoothie gives a dairy-free calcium kick while also providing copper, magnesium, vitamin C, vitamin E, and riboflavin.
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ fresh or frozen banana
- ½ cup fresh or frozen mango chunks
- ½ tsp. each ground turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and cardamom
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- A dash of pepper
- A few ice cubes (optional)
Key Ingredients :Ginger And Turmeric
Ginger suppresses appetite while regulation sugar and cholesterol. It also reduces the production of cortisol, a stress hormone that promotes fat storage. Plus, it improves digestion to clear away toxins and fight inflammation.
Turmeric works as well or better than prescription anti-inflammatory drugs. Turmeric is fat-soluble and it promotes weight loss and suppresses fat storage by modifying fat-storing cells into fat-burning ones (11).
4. Dark Chocolate Banana Smoothie
This great recipe is perfect for people with a sweet tooth. It’s also vegan and gluten-free while remaining under 400 calories.
Plus, it’s packed with fiber, copper, calcium, vitamin D, and vitamin E.
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup raw spinach
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. organic vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. honey, if needed to sweeten (optional)
Key Ingredients: Cocoa and Banana
Neuroscientist Will Clower, Ph.D. told Women’s Health Magazine that eating chocolate 20 minutes before a meal and five minutes after can suppress your appetite by up to 50 percent (12).
The rich flavonoids in cocoa boost insulin sensitivity to prevent sugar from being stored as fat. It also protects neurons from damage, improves mood, and fights fight bacterial overgrowth in the intestines to improve nutrient absorption (13).
On the other hand, banana contains resistant starch that supports weight loss as it slows digestion, boosts the feeling of fullness and lowers cholesterol. The fruit also feeds good bacteria which in turn metabolize fats (14).
5. Blueberry Avocado Mango Smoothie
This amazing smoothie combines a plethora of superfoods while being creamy and sweet. It’s full of healthy fats that keep you full for hours.
It’s relatively high in calories, coming in at a little over 700 calories, so it should be eaten as a meal instead of a snack. Plus, it’s full of magnesium, Selenium, vitamin B6, and niacin.
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1½ cups mango
- ½ avocado
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond butter
- 1½ – 2 cups coconut water or nut milk
Key Ingredient: Maca
Maca is a root vegetable from Peru that helps boost metabolism while supplying vitamin B, C, E along with calcium, iron, magnesium and much more! It’s also known to treat anemia, regulate the endocrine system, and boost energy, stamina, athletic performance, memory, and fertility.
- Feta: The World’s Healthiest Cheese That Nobody Talks About
If you’re a fan of Mediterranean or Middle Eastern food, you’re familiar with feta cheese. Its salty moist crumbliness makes …
- If Animals Won’t Eat Genetically Modified Corn, Why Do We?
Okay, let’s be real – most of us don’t think about what’s actually on our dinner plates. We may check …
- 5 Energy-Boosting Chia Seed Recipes
Chia seeds contain more plant-based omega-3 fatty acids than flax seeds, and have also been traditionally used as a source …
- 9 Anti-Aging Foods Everyone Over 40 Should Eat
While we have yet to find the Fountain of Youth, we’ve discovered the best anti-aging foods to keep you looking …
- New Methodology Shows Higher Levels of Antioxidants In Fibre Than Previously Believed
The antioxidant activity of citrus juices and other foods is undervalued. A new technique developed by researchers from the University …
- Woman Loses 80 Pounds, Overcomes Acid Reflux and Other Conditions
(originally written by Antonia) Allyson Grabish-Paniccia is a proud woman, and for good reason. She once tipped the scales at …
- Dietary Supplements with DMAA Ruled Dangerous by FDA
The FDA has ruled DMAA, a common dietary and exercise supplement, to be unsafe, but it’s still on the market. …
- Here’s The Surprising Reason Why Eating Bananas With Brown Spots Is Better
When it comes to produce, most people believe that the fresher, the better. Especially when it comes to bananas. Bananas …
- Eating Turmeric Helps Boost Absorption of Plant-Based Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Turmeric is a bright orange spice that has been used for thousands of years in Indian cooking, both for its flavor …
- The Spoils of Going GMO-Free: Chipotle Stock Hits an All-Time High After Announcing ‘Blockbuster Earnings’
When companies give customers what they want, the customers respond. Chipotle restaurants, now the biggest Mexican-style casual food chain in …
- The Best Berries for Fighting Off Free Radicals
Of all the superfoods – foods with high amounts of nutrients, especially antioxidants – berries are thought to be some …
- Stop Throwing Your Watermelon Seeds Away! Use This Recipe Instead To Make a Healthy Drink.
Watermelon gets a bad rap as being a food relatively low in nutrients; most people assume it’s mostly sugar and …
- The 9 Most Overrated Health Foods
There are plenty of “superfoods” out there that are supposedly the healthiest things you can possibly eat… but not all …
- The Only Video That Coca-Cola Never Wants You To See
What happens when you add milk to a coke? Something disgusting. Soda, while one of the most advertised beverages in …
- A Raw Carrot a Day Keeps Excess Estrogen at Bay
The endocrine system produces and regulates hormones in the body, telling other systems of the body what to do. From …