Laundry detergent doesn’t just clean your clothes, it also harms your lungs.
A University of Washington study found that the essential cleaning product emitted dozens of different chemicals.
All 6 top-selling laundry products tested included at least one ingredient regulated as toxic or hazardous under federal laws. 5 of the products even contained well-known carcinogenic chemicals (1).
Additionally, these products also emitted nearly 100 volatile organic compounds that evaporate as your clothes dry. None of these compounds were listed on the label of the detergent (2).
Ingredients to look out for included acetone, limonene, acetaldehyde, chloromethane , 1,4-dioxane and fragrance. These are nearly all present in most conventional detergents.
Why Use White Vinegar for Laundry
It may seem unconventional, but it’ll revolutionize the way you clean!
1. It Removes Stains
White vinegar is just acidic enough to break down sweat stains and deodorant residue. To make your whites crisp gain, soak your stained clothes in 1 cup of vinegar and 2 cups of warm water for 20 minutes (3).
Gently squeeze out the liquid from the garments and lay them flat on an old towel. Make a paste from 1/2 cup baking soda,1 tablespoon salt, and 1 tablespoon hydrogen peroxide. Apply the paste to the stains and let it sit for 20 minutes. Wash your clothes as usual and wear them proudly!
For red wine, coffee, and grease stains, simply soak the clothes in 1 cup of vinegar and 2 cups of hot water overnight before washing.
2. Softens Clothes
Vinegar acts as a natural fabric softener that will also fight static shock. To use, add ½ cup of vinegar to your rinse cycle (3). Don’t fret, the vinegar won’t make your clothes stink, but you can add a few drop of essential oils if you’d like to give your laundry a nice, fresh smell.
3. It Fights Odors
Vinegar kills the bacteria that cause the smelly odors that stick to your gym clothes. You can increase this effect by adding a few drops of antibacterial grapefruit, rosemary or tea tree essential oil (4).
If you have very funky body odor or if you suspect that your clothes have been exposed to mold or mildew, add 2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 cup white vinegar to the wash cycle along with your natural detergent (5).
4. It Repels Pet Hair
Regular laundry detergent leaves residue on your clothes. This explains why your clothing smells like detergent for weeks after being washed. Unfortunately, it’s sticky enough to attract pet hair and hold onto them tightly. Vinegar, however, strips away this residue, so adding a bit to your wash cycle it’ll attract less pet hair than regular detergent-washed clothes.
Since this residue also causes skin irritation, using vinegar with natural detergent is beneficial for your skin too!
5. It Protects Your Delicates
Contrary to popular belief: vinegar IS gentle enough to use on your delicate fabrics. Simply soak hand-wash items in six tablespoons of white vinegar with 3-4 cups of cold water for an hour. Add a bit of Castille soap and scrub your clothes for a few minutes. Rinse and dry and your delicates will be clean as new!
Simply soak hand-wash items in six tablespoons of white vinegar with 3-4 cups of cold water for an hour. Add a bit of Castille soap and scrub your clothes for a few minutes. Rinse and dry and your delicates will be clean as new!
Bonus: Use vinegar to descale your machine by running a hot water cycle with a cup of white vinegar. Let the inside of your machine air-dry before using it again.
You can also use vinegar to clean the rubber rings inside your machine before descaling. Find out how here.
DIY Vinegar Detergent
If you’re ready to ditch the cancer-causing stuff, make your own non-toxic detergent. All you need is a little vinegar, baking soda, borax, and Castille soap.
- 1 1/4 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1 cup washing soda
- 1 cup borax
- 1/4 cup liquid Castile soap
- Essential oil of your choice (per taste)
- Place the vinegar in a large glass bowl and add each dry ingredient little by little as you mix with a wooden spoon. Try to break up any clumps that may form as you stir.
- Add the liquid soap last and stir. If you are using essential oils, add them at this time.
- The mixture will look like a paste at first, and will start to resemble powdered detergent as you stir. Keep stirring until you end up will a soft loaf. If you stop stirring too early, the mixture will get hard and you won’t be able to use it.
- Store in a large non-metallic container with a lid and crumble pieces off to use. You’ll need about ¼ cup per regular-sized load.
- Man Refuses Chemo And Cures His Bladder Cancer Within 2 Yrs By Taking Cannabis Oil And Essiac Tea
On July 2012, at age 54, Trevor Smith was suddenly and unexpectedly diagnosed with stage T2a bladder cancer. The cancer had …
- This Ancient Detox Juice Fights Cancer And Promotes The Regeneration of New Healthy Cells
Although store-bought orange juice is a breakfast staple, it’s been criticized a lot lately for it’s high sugar content. However, …
- After No Deodorant For A Year – Something Very Curious Happened To Her Body
Using deodorant and shaving are hallmarks of hygiene, but are they really necessary ? As we’ve mentioned before, long term …
- 5 Natural Ways To Keep Your Gums Healthy And Disease Free
Gum disease, or periodontal disease, is common, especially in the United States – many adults have some form of gum …
- 4 Most Common Types of Coughs And The Plants That Can Naturally Treat Them
As air quality levels continue to degrade between environmental pollution, chemical pollution and geoengineering–lung disease, infections and illness continue to …
- This Is What Happens To Your Body When You Put An Onion In Your Sock Before Going To Bed
Onions: you either love them or hate them. They do so much more for you body then just making you …
- “Like It’s Been Nuked”: Millions of Honey Bees Die Right After Aerial Spraying for Mosquitos
“If the bee disappeared off the face of the earth, man would only have four years left to live.” – …
- How to Naturally Cure an Eye Infection In 24 Hours With Salt Water
Pinkeye isn’t the only common eye infection around: styes and chalazions also take the cake. And if you’ve ever had …
- Toxic Buildup Leads To Weight Gain And Belly Fat. Try This Simple Detox Drink
Do you easily put on weight despite eating healthy? Do you experience headaches, acne, depression, insomnia and fatigue on a regular …
- 5 Ways to Allergy-Proof Your Home
Allergy season is in full swing and allergy-sufferers are really suffering. If you’re being pummelled by pollen and suffering its …
- How to Make Your Own Air Conditioner in Less Than 15 Minutes With Common Household Items
In the hotter months, it seems like every little thing takes extra effort. Even getting a good night’s sleep seems …
- The UN Treaty to Ban Mercury: For Big Business or Consumer Safety?
Mercury, also known as thimerisol, has long been known as a dangerous toxin. It has been shown to cause changes …
- Orgasm Hard To Add Years To Your Life
Good news for just about everyone who wants to live longer: having more orgasms might tack years onto your life. …
- The Biggest Loser TV Show Destroys Participants’ Metabolisms
The most important weight loss tip? Don’t try what you see on television. There is a big problem with the …
- Sitting All Day Isn’t Just Bad for The Body, It’s Also Killing Your Memory
It’s no secret that sedentary desk jobs contribute to decreased physical health, and now there’s an additional alarm being sounded. …