According to the National Institute of Health (NIH), major depression is currently one of the most common mental disorders in the United States.
In 2014 alone, an estimated 15.7 million adults 18 and over had at least one major depressive episode in the past year.
The CDC reports that 11 percent of all Americans aged 12 and older actually take antidepressant medication.
That’s pretty scary, especially when you consider that in 2008, the rate of antidepressant used in the United States among all ages had increased by nearly 400 percent!
Prescriptions = Side Effects
As with all medications, we have come to expect side effects—just listen to the never-ending list of contraindications and side-effects in a TV commercial for the next “best” drug.
But in many cases with antidepressant medications, these side effects actually include increased depression according to a study, published in 2011 in the journal Frontiers of Psychology, which revealed that “depressed people who use antidepressants are far more likely to suffer a relapse of major depression than those who avoid antidepressants.” (1)
Doesn’t this kind of defeats the whole purpose of taking antidepressants in the first place?
This, of course, does not even take into account the many other adverse reactions people face when taking antidepressants. Some of these according to WebMD include:
- increased appetite and weight gain
- loss of sexual desire and other sexual problems, such as erectile dysfunction and decreased orgasm
- fatigue and drowsiness
- dry mouth
- blurred vision
Increased Risk of Suicide
If these side effects alone are not enough to make you depressed, how about the fact that at least one antidepressant according to Drug Watch, can have a stimulant effect similar to amphetamines, which can lead to suicide.
“A Food and Drug Administration (FDA) official responsible for evaluating adverse drug effects during the approval process of Prozac repeatedly warned that the drug could have this effect.”
And according to the same source, it is not just this one medication, SSRIs in general, a relatively new class of antidepressants, have also been associated with an increased risk of suicide (2).
Zoloft, No Better Than Placebo
So, what is someone suffering from depression to do? Well, today, there are many natural alternatives to these harsh medications that have been proven in studies to be as or more effective than drugs, without the nasty and dangerous side effects.
According to MedicalNewsToday, Zoloft are actually no more effective than placebo for depression symptoms.
3 Natural Alternatives For Depression
A very popular spice in Indian cooking, turmeric is quickly becoming a natural medicinal superstar. This aromatic spice, backed by numerous studies, is being used for a slew of health conditions.
One study published in the journal Phytotherapy Research has confirmed for the first time in a randomized, controlled clinical trial that: “the primary polyphenol in turmeric known as curcumin is both safe and effective in treating serious states of depression.”
That’s pretty impressive, especially when you consider that turmeric causes none of the side effects of traditional antidepressants.
Coconut, and especially coconut oil, have garnered much attention lately as the number of studies touting its beneficial health properties continue to make headlines worldwide.
A study published in Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine suggests that using a high quality virgin coconut oil can rival antidepressant drugs without the dangerous side effects (3).
“Researchers attributed the success in treatment to the unique mixture of medium chain fatty acids found in coconut oil, rich in saturated fats, and to the antioxidants present in higher grade, less processed virgin coconut oils.”
One of the causes of depression according to researchers is low levels of serotonin, a hormone naturally manufactured in your body.
Among other things, serotonin helps with feelings of “well-being” and “calmness,” which is why antidepressants are designed to artificially raise your body’s own serotonin levels.
Many foods contain tryptophan, which your body uses to create serotonin.
One such food is cashews—several handfuls of cashews alone provide between 1,000–2,000 mg of tryptophan, “which will work as well as prescription antidepressants,” according to Andrew Saul, natural health guru and co-author with nutritional psychiatrist, Bo Jonsson, of the book: The Vitamin Cure for Depression.
Making Turmeric Cashews With Toasted Coconut
- 2 cups of cashews
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- Pinch sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a tray with parchment paper.
- Place all ingredients (excluding the coconut flakes) onto the baking tray and toss together.
- Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes, tossing again after 5 minutes.
- In the last 2 minutes toss in the coconut flakes and let cook until everything is lightly browned.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving.
- Spray This Oil And You Will Never See Mold Again
Mold is everywhere, whether you can see it or not. These microscopic fungi flourish not only in the bathroom but …
- Science Proves Himalayan Salt Lamps Fight Anxiety and Depression
If you’ve already made the switch to Himalayan salt in the kitchen, why not take it a step further? Large …
- Avoid Fleas and Ticks Forever With This Natural Remedy!
Every pet owner knows how annoying fleas can be. These minuscule insects can multiply in days and easily infest your …
- 9 Exercises To Burn Abdominal Fat
What are the best exercises to burn belly fat? A common question in the world of fitness. Belly fat is …
- 9 Signs You’re Overstressed (And Don’t Know It)
Countless studies show that stress is at actually at the root of most disease. In fact, 77 percent of us …
- Your Body Is Acidic. Here’s What You NEED To Do (The Real Truth Behind Cancer…)
Ever heard of Dr. Otto H. Warburg? Unless you or your family member has suffered from cancer and tried to …
- Take THIS Before Bed to Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat While You Sleep
Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat It’s normal for your weight to fluctuate by a few pounds, even when you exercise …
- The EXACT Amount of Epsom Salts You Should Be Adding to Your Bath Based on Your Weight
Epsom salt may look like salt, but it’s actually magnesium sulfate, a mineral compound (1). Epsom salt can be used …
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …