According to the National Institute of Health (NIH), major depression is currently one of the most common mental disorders in the United States.
In 2014 alone, an estimated 15.7 million adults 18 and over had at least one major depressive episode in the past year.
The CDC reports that 11 percent of all Americans aged 12 and older actually take antidepressant medication.
That’s pretty scary, especially when you consider that in 2008, the rate of antidepressant used in the United States among all ages had increased by nearly 400 percent!
Prescriptions = Side Effects
As with all medications, we have come to expect side effects—just listen to the never-ending list of contraindications and side-effects in a TV commercial for the next “best” drug.
But in many cases with antidepressant medications, these side effects actually include increased depression according to a study, published in 2011 in the journal Frontiers of Psychology, which revealed that “depressed people who use antidepressants are far more likely to suffer a relapse of major depression than those who avoid antidepressants.” (1)
Doesn’t this kind of defeats the whole purpose of taking antidepressants in the first place?
This, of course, does not even take into account the many other adverse reactions people face when taking antidepressants. Some of these according to WebMD include:
- increased appetite and weight gain
- loss of sexual desire and other sexual problems, such as erectile dysfunction and decreased orgasm
- fatigue and drowsiness
- dry mouth
- blurred vision
Increased Risk of Suicide
If these side effects alone are not enough to make you depressed, how about the fact that at least one antidepressant according to Drug Watch, can have a stimulant effect similar to amphetamines, which can lead to suicide.
“A Food and Drug Administration (FDA) official responsible for evaluating adverse drug effects during the approval process of Prozac repeatedly warned that the drug could have this effect.”
And according to the same source, it is not just this one medication, SSRIs in general, a relatively new class of antidepressants, have also been associated with an increased risk of suicide (2).
Zoloft, No Better Than Placebo
So, what is someone suffering from depression to do? Well, today, there are many natural alternatives to these harsh medications that have been proven in studies to be as or more effective than drugs, without the nasty and dangerous side effects.
According to MedicalNewsToday, Zoloft are actually no more effective than placebo for depression symptoms.
3 Natural Alternatives For Depression
A very popular spice in Indian cooking, turmeric is quickly becoming a natural medicinal superstar. This aromatic spice, backed by numerous studies, is being used for a slew of health conditions.
One study published in the journal Phytotherapy Research has confirmed for the first time in a randomized, controlled clinical trial that: “the primary polyphenol in turmeric known as curcumin is both safe and effective in treating serious states of depression.”
That’s pretty impressive, especially when you consider that turmeric causes none of the side effects of traditional antidepressants.
Coconut, and especially coconut oil, have garnered much attention lately as the number of studies touting its beneficial health properties continue to make headlines worldwide.
A study published in Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine suggests that using a high quality virgin coconut oil can rival antidepressant drugs without the dangerous side effects (3).
“Researchers attributed the success in treatment to the unique mixture of medium chain fatty acids found in coconut oil, rich in saturated fats, and to the antioxidants present in higher grade, less processed virgin coconut oils.”
One of the causes of depression according to researchers is low levels of serotonin, a hormone naturally manufactured in your body.
Among other things, serotonin helps with feelings of “well-being” and “calmness,” which is why antidepressants are designed to artificially raise your body’s own serotonin levels.
Many foods contain tryptophan, which your body uses to create serotonin.
One such food is cashews—several handfuls of cashews alone provide between 1,000–2,000 mg of tryptophan, “which will work as well as prescription antidepressants,” according to Andrew Saul, natural health guru and co-author with nutritional psychiatrist, Bo Jonsson, of the book: The Vitamin Cure for Depression.
Making Turmeric Cashews With Toasted Coconut
- 2 cups of cashews
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- Pinch sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a tray with parchment paper.
- Place all ingredients (excluding the coconut flakes) onto the baking tray and toss together.
- Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes, tossing again after 5 minutes.
- In the last 2 minutes toss in the coconut flakes and let cook until everything is lightly browned.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving.
- Professor of Plant Biology Destroys Roundup in 3 Minutes
Who is Dr. Don M. Huber? For 50 years, he’s been a scientist studying plant diseases in the U.S. and …
- Remove All Toxins From The Body In 3 Days (Prevent Cancer, Excess Fat And Water Retention!)
If you’re feeling tired or sluggish, it may be time to cleanse and detox your body. Things like stress, poor …
- Guaranteed! Whiten Your Yellow Teeth In Less Than 2 Minutes!
Every picture in every magazine seems to show people with beautifully aligned, white teeth. While Photoshop likely has a hand …
- Turn a Small Space Into a Big Harvest With These Awesome Vertical Gardens
Whether you want to grow veggies, herbs or flowers, gardening can be very rewarding. However sometimes your love for plants …
- The Heart-Head Connection: Heart Disease and…Ears?
Whatever the size, shape, thickness, or color, most people have smooth earlobes. But have you ever met someone that has …
- Marathon Runners Put Winning Aside To Honor World War II Veteran
“Thanks for your service,” utters one racer after the next as they stop in their tracks mid-race to give 95-year-old …
- Drink This Banana Cinnamon Tea For Better Sleep (It’s a Lot Safer Than Sleeping Pills!)
Sleep used to be so easy. As a child, you likely had no problem falling asleep at night. But that’s all changed. …
- How To Make Your Own Natural Antibiotic
Antibiotic resistance is becoming a really big threat to public safety. This phenomenon occurs when bacteria that has been exposed to …
- 20 Natural Ways to Get Rid of Pneumonia (No. 5 is An Effective Alternative to Antibiotic Treatments)
How To Get Rid Of Pneumonia If you’re looking on how to get rid of Pneumonia, here’s a couple of …
- 4 Little-Known Reasons Why Your Health is Deteriorating
(originally written by Derek Henry) It seems we have many things to blame for our deteriorating health. We have our less …
- This Natural Food Could End The Use of Harmful Pesticides And There’s Already a Patent For It
This article first appeared on JeffereyJaxen. Humanity is facing a toxicity problem as our immediate environment becomes increasingly riddled with pesticides. They are …
- These 5 Habits Are Harming Your Immune System And Ruining Your Health
From everyday airborne allergens to countertop bacteria, your immune system is a complex network that is constantly battling to keep …
- Cannabis Proves Effective In Treating Crohn’s Disease by Reducing Pain, Inflammation and Diarrhea
A new clinical study published in the journal Pharmacology and by the National Institute of Health has found that cannabis …
- 10 Unusual Ways To Boost Brain Power
Your brain is the control centre of your body. In order to keep your mind strong, you need to stretch …
- How 3 Naturopathic Doctors Cured Cancer (Different Treatments, Similar Results)
The field of cancer treatment is one full of constant new developments. Study after study is performed, then overturned, as …