A diet high in junk food and sugar can be destructive to your cardiovascular health. You may have heard about how cholesterol can accumulate in your arteries and put unnecessary strain on your heart.
Most people rely on blood thinners and other medications to combat the effects of high cholesterol, but the condition can easily be managed by food alone.
What Is Cholesterol?
High cholesterol levels can lead to a buildup of plaque in the artery walls, narrowing the arteries, and causing a condition called atherosclerosis. this impairs blood flow throughout the body and increases risk of heart disease and stroke (1).
There exist two main types of cholesterol (2):
Low-density lipoprotein (LDL): “bad,” cholesterol transports cholesterol particles throughout your body and builds up in the walls of your arteries, making them hard and narrow.
High-density lipoprotein (HDL): “good” cholesterol picks up excess cholesterol and takes it back to your liver to be cleared away through bile.
High levels of LDL cholesterol is typically caused by smoking, poor diet, inactivity, diabetes and is linked to obesity.
To put it simply, high cholesterol, in most cases, is simply a reflection of an unhealthy lifestyle.
This recipe provides your body with nutrients that can help break down bad cholesterol and clear your arteries as you transition into a healthier lifestyle.
- 4 liters/1 gal of clean water
- 8 organic lemons
- 8 cloves of organic garlic
- 4-5 cm /1.9 inches of organic ginger
- Scrub lemons properly to clean the rind, but do not peel.
- Slice lemon and peel the ginger and garlic.
- Crush the garlic and let it sit for 15 minutes. This will activate the allicin.
- Place everything but the water in a blender and pulse until smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, add water and the paste and warm over medium heat.
- Just as it begins to boil, remove the mixture from heat.
- Let it cool and strain the liquid.
- Pour the drink in glass jars or bottles with lids and store in the refrigerator.
How to Use:
Drink daily on an empty stomach two hours before meals. Combine with exercise 3 times a week.
How It Works
Ginger: Dried ginger powder administered at 0.1 g/kg of body weight limits the risk of atheroma (degeneration of the walls of the arteries caused by accumulated fatty deposits and scar tissue) by up to 50% in just 75 days (3).
It also prevent heart disease by inhibiting the accumulation of platelets in the arteries and inhibiting cholesterol biosynthesis.
Additionally, it doesn’t have the negative side effects of other medication such as aspirin.
Garlic: Garlic is traditionally used to help prevent heart disease, including atherosclerosis or hardening of the arteries, which are risk factors for heart disease and stroke.
It also treats high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and boosts the immune system (4).
One study that lasted 4 years found that people who took 900 mg daily of standardized garlic powder slowed the development of atherosclerosis.
It also contains antioxidants which fight free radicals to prevent heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer disease.
Lemons: Daily lemon intake and walking showed significant effects on lowering blood pressure while also increasing red blood cell count (5). Lemon also helps detox the liver to help it clear excess cholesterol.
- 10 Dangerous Brain-Damaging Habits to Stop Immediately
On average, a human adult brain weighs about 3 pounds (1,300-1,400 g), which is roughly 2% of your total body …
- 19 Ways To Ease Pain From Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) occurs when the nerves that run through a small space in the wrist become compressed. It’s …
- How To Use Peppermint Essential Oil To Kick Your Sugar Habit
Sugar addiction is no joke – there’s compelling scientific evidence that addiction to refined sugar can be just as serious …
- 7 Easy Ways to Optimize Your Hormones (and Be Your Best at Any Age)
As its name implies, growth hormones stimulate growth, cell reproduction and regeneration in humans. Growth hormone diminishes as you age, …
- 17 Best Home Remedies for Back Pain Relief
For those of us who’ve experienced back pain, we know that there’s very little else that is as uncomfortable, inconvenient, …
- Keeping Your Gut Happy Is Key To Having a Healthy Brain (Here’s What You Can Do Right Now)
When it comes to the delicate balance of our bodies, there’s still a lot we don’t know, and it seems …
- All The Signs, Symptoms, Triggers and Treatments of Hypo and Hyperthyroidism
According to the American Thyroid Association, an estimated 20 million Americans have some form of thyroid disease. Up to 60 …
- Anxiety Disorders are Linked to This Type of Abuse
“Stick and stones can break my bones but words will never hurt me” may sound nice in theory, but it isn’t …
- 5 Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Sinus Infection
By now, you probably already know that Apple Cider Vinegar is a true lifesaver. Whether it be used to flavor …
- 6 Natural Ways To Stop And Heal Receding Gums Before It’s Too Late
According to the New York Times, more than 75% of American adults have some form of gum disease. National Institute Of …
- 5 Foods That Make Arthritis Worse (and age you faster)
Managing arthritis can be a full-time job. There are certain activities and medication to be avoided to keep pain levels …
- A Healing Cucumber and Garlic Salad: Lowers Cholesterol and Regulates High Blood Pressure
According to the Mayo Clinic, high blood pressure is a common condition in which the long-term force of the blood …
- How to Recognize a Heart Attack One Month Before it Happens
Every year, almost eight hundred thousand people in North America suffer a heart attack. Many survive but some do not, …
- 7 Lifestyle Tips and Tricks for Memory Improvement
Whether or not we want to admit it, our modern lifestyles can actually contribute to cognitive decline more than age. …
- This Anti-inflammatory Drug Destroys Your Immune System, Fight Inflammation With These Foods Instead
Prednisone is a corticosteroid drug used to treat inflammatory conditions such as arthritis, blood disorders, and breathing problems (1). But …