Have you ever looked into just how many drugs there are to treat heart disease?
Go to any medical website (WebMD, MayoClinic, Healthline, and all the rest), and you’ll find that the list is very long. Not only do dozens of different types of medications exist, but there are multiple brands of each medication made by different companies.
It’s a nightmare to try to keep track of all of your different options for treating heart disease. But, according to a report published in the British Medical Journal, you may actually be doing the wrong thing by taking all of these medications(1). How is this possible?
Read on to find out the shocking truth about one such drug that has turned out to be an epic fail!
The Truth About Rosuvastatin
Rosuvastatin (marketed by the name Crestor) is one of the biggest pharmaceutical drugs for heart disease, selling around $6 billion in 2014 alone. That means a staggering number of people are buying this drug, which is supposed to help get your LDL cholesterol (the bad stuff) under control.
But the study published in the British Medical Journal found that rosuvastatin has never been properly proven (using established scientific testing methods) to “significantly” boost the health of your heart.
According to Dr. Sidney Wolfe, author of the report,
“There is growing evidence of weak benefits along with serious problems with rosuvastatin although it is the best statin for lowering cholesterol.”
While rosuvastatin has been proven as the effective option for lowering cholesterol, there is no direct proof that lowering cholesterol will prevent heart attacks. The research being done into the correlation between cholesterol and heart attacks was ended prematurely.
To make things worse, the side effects of rosuvastatin are horrible, including:
- An increased risk of diabetes
- Rhabdomyolysis (breaking down of muscle fibers)
- Increase protein in urine (leading to kidney disease and increasing your risk of kidney failure)
All statins cause negative side effects, but rosuvastatin is considered one of the worst. It, along with all of the other statins, stops your body from producing CoQ10, an antioxidant that is needed to keep your heart working properly. Without it, the heart is in serious trouble!
So, once again, medication fails to be the solution to the problem, yet pharmaceutical companies are promising far more than they can deliver and putting the health of their patients at risk.
The Best Ways to Fight Cholesterol
Instead of going the drug route (which has been proven to be less effective), it’s time to take the natural approach to treating your high cholesterol. This means:
- Doing more exercise — Exercise has been proven to be the best way to boost HDL cholesterol (the good stuff), which in turn lowers LDL cholesterol more effectively than any drug or medication. One Harvard study found that daily exercise can reduce the risk of heart disease by as much as 22%!(2)
- Living a healthier lifestyle — Smoking, drinking in excess, and chronic stress are all factors which can increase your risk of a heart attack and stroke. By changing your lifestyle to a healthier, more moderate one, you can control your cholesterol levels and improve your overall health drastically.
- Having a healthy diet — Saturated fat is no longer the enemy you think it is, but it’s trans fats that you need to watch out for. Trans fats (the stuff produced when food is fried, deep fried, or highly processed) is directly linked to heart attacks, so it’s vital that you avoid it like the plague.
Just three simple steps and you can get your cholesterol under control far more effectively than any medication could–plus, no side effects.
- According To This Microbiologist, You’ve Been Pooping Wrong Your Whole Life And It’s Hurting You
If you’re squeamish about poop this may not be the article for you, but the fact is, most of us …
- Scientists Discover a Way To Generate LIGHT By Using Pomegranate Juice And Turmeric Extract
LED technology is something many people rely on for emergency lighting, but the fact of the matter is that these …
- Forgiving Others Is Good For Your Mental Health
Are you the kind of person who has a tendency to hold on to a grudge? If so, you could …
- Promising Trial Results Show A New Method to Deliver Insulin to Diabetics Pain-Free
A new development in insulin technology could have a huge impact on diabetes treatment in the near future. A team …
- Researchers May Have Found a Way To Stop Breast Cancer From Spreading To The Bones
A breakthrough study published in the journal Nature has the potential to dramatically improve survival rates of thousands of breast …
- Tainted Cilantro is Making People Sick Because of Where It’s Being Grown And Now It’s Been Banned
Cilantro is one of those herbs that offer a host of benefits. But be careful of where it comes from! According …
- 1,000-Year-Old Onion and Garlic Remedy Can Kill Modern Superbugs in Less Than 24 Hours
Researchers racing to find new ways of fighting antimicrobial resistance have uncovered an ancient secret to wiping out roughly 90 …
- Here’s What Happened To Beijing’s Sky When It Decided To Take 5 Million Cars Off The Road
Air pollution is bad for you and the environment. In the same way that second-hand smoke can kill, air pollution can …
- Cuba Developed a Lung Cancer Vaccine And It’s Now Heading to The U.S. For Clinical Trials
For the past 55 years, a US-led trade embargo on Cuba has ensured that technological advances made by the country …
- Drinking More Than Two Diet Sodas Per Day Make You Twice As Likely To Get Heart Disease
A massive study led by researchers at Tufts University may give many people cause to consider cutting soft drinks out …
- Prescription Drugs Used To Treat Diabetes Can Cause Severe Joint Pain, FDA Warns
The US Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning that a certain class of diabetes drugs may cause severe …
- Johnson & Johnson Loses Again, Jury Awards Woman $70m For Baby Powder Causing Her Cancer
In another high-profile case, a California woman has won 70$ million in her lawsuit against Johnson & Johnson. She claimed …
- A Father and Son’s Genius Beehive Invention Let’s You Harvest Honey Without Disturbing Bees!
While the health effects of honey are well-researched and thoroughly documented, harvesting honey has long been the domain of professional …
- This Boy Started Getting Unusual Sores After Playing In One of Those ‘Bounce Houses’
Bounce houses, like games, are fun and children love them! They’re often found at carnivals but parents can also rent …
- Researchers Discover That Alzheimer’s Disease Worsens 2X As Fast In Women Than Men
Roughly two-thirds of Americans suffering from Alzheimer’s disease are women(1). Researchers asking why have come to a startling conclusion. Women, …