Have you ever looked into just how many drugs there are to treat heart disease?
Go to any medical website (WebMD, MayoClinic, Healthline, and all the rest), and you’ll find that the list is very long. Not only do dozens of different types of medications exist, but there are multiple brands of each medication made by different companies.
It’s a nightmare to try to keep track of all of your different options for treating heart disease. But, according to a report published in the British Medical Journal, you may actually be doing the wrong thing by taking all of these medications(1). How is this possible?
Read on to find out the shocking truth about one such drug that has turned out to be an epic fail!
The Truth About Rosuvastatin
Rosuvastatin (marketed by the name Crestor) is one of the biggest pharmaceutical drugs for heart disease, selling around $6 billion in 2014 alone. That means a staggering number of people are buying this drug, which is supposed to help get your LDL cholesterol (the bad stuff) under control.
But the study published in the British Medical Journal found that rosuvastatin has never been properly proven (using established scientific testing methods) to “significantly” boost the health of your heart.
According to Dr. Sidney Wolfe, author of the report,
“There is growing evidence of weak benefits along with serious problems with rosuvastatin although it is the best statin for lowering cholesterol.”
While rosuvastatin has been proven as the effective option for lowering cholesterol, there is no direct proof that lowering cholesterol will prevent heart attacks. The research being done into the correlation between cholesterol and heart attacks was ended prematurely.
To make things worse, the side effects of rosuvastatin are horrible, including:
- An increased risk of diabetes
- Rhabdomyolysis (breaking down of muscle fibers)
- Increase protein in urine (leading to kidney disease and increasing your risk of kidney failure)
All statins cause negative side effects, but rosuvastatin is considered one of the worst. It, along with all of the other statins, stops your body from producing CoQ10, an antioxidant that is needed to keep your heart working properly. Without it, the heart is in serious trouble!
So, once again, medication fails to be the solution to the problem, yet pharmaceutical companies are promising far more than they can deliver and putting the health of their patients at risk.
The Best Ways to Fight Cholesterol
Instead of going the drug route (which has been proven to be less effective), it’s time to take the natural approach to treating your high cholesterol. This means:
- Doing more exercise — Exercise has been proven to be the best way to boost HDL cholesterol (the good stuff), which in turn lowers LDL cholesterol more effectively than any drug or medication. One Harvard study found that daily exercise can reduce the risk of heart disease by as much as 22%!(2)
- Living a healthier lifestyle — Smoking, drinking in excess, and chronic stress are all factors which can increase your risk of a heart attack and stroke. By changing your lifestyle to a healthier, more moderate one, you can control your cholesterol levels and improve your overall health drastically.
- Having a healthy diet — Saturated fat is no longer the enemy you think it is, but it’s trans fats that you need to watch out for. Trans fats (the stuff produced when food is fried, deep fried, or highly processed) is directly linked to heart attacks, so it’s vital that you avoid it like the plague.
Just three simple steps and you can get your cholesterol under control far more effectively than any medication could–plus, no side effects.
- Onion Extract Can Help Lower Blood Sugar Levels, Study Shows
A recent study has researchers wondering if onion extract could be the key to new therapies for individuals with diabetes. …
- Innovative Technology Allows Parkinson’s Patients To Write And Draw Without Shaking
For many people living with Parkinson’s disease, any task that requires motor skills can be a major barrier. This can …
- Researchers Discover That Plucking Hair In a Specific Pattern Helps Stimulate Regrowth
Baldness is a prospect that scares people more than most diseases and health disorders. The reason for this is that …
- Here’s What Happens To Your Body When You Sit Down For 11 Hours or More a Day
Studies that show the negative effects of sitting for extended periods of time are still fairly new, but the evidence …
- Popular Drugs Used To Treat Depression Can Clog Your Heart And Arteries
The brain is a delicate organ, one that can be damaged easily. Even the slightest trauma can alter or impair …
- Eating 30g of Dietary Fiber a Day Can Help Prevent Diabetes, Study Finds
As of 2012, approximately 29.1 million Americans had diabetes, according to the American Diabetes Association. That’s 9.3% of the population …
- New Blood Test Helps Detect Breast Cancer Five Years Before It Develops With Amazing Accuracy
Breast cancer is a problem much more serious than most of us realize! Did you know that: 1 in 8 …
- This College Student Ate McDonald’s For 10 Days And Lost Nearly 1,400 Species of Gut Bacteria
We all know that a diet of regular fast food isn’t good for us, but just how unhealthy is it? …
- Starbucks Unveils Sugar-Loaded Frappucino With 400% The Daily Recommended Intake of Sugar
With huge coffee chain Starbucks unveiling six brand-new frappuccino flavors(1), even die-hard Starbucks haters are undoubtedly tempted to try some …
- The Length of Your Telomeres Could Be Key To Early Cancer Detection
Cancer research is constantly pushing not only for cures and treatments for various types of cancer, but also for ways …
- This Vitamin’s Anti-Inflammatory Properties Can Help Fight Low-Grade Prostate Cancer, Study Finds
When most of us think of Vitamin D, we immediately think about its effects on our skin. Most of the …
- High-Tech Lotion Helps Diabetic Patients Heal Stubborn and Painful Ulcers on Their Feet
Diabetes is a pretty serious health problem, one that a staggering number of people in the United States face every …
- Study Shows That Eating Protein in Equal Amounts Throughout The Day Is Better For Muscles
Go to any fitness and bodybuilding website and scroll through the articles, and you’ll find hundreds or even thousands talking about …
- Researchers Discover ‘Missing Link’ Between Brain and Immune System (This Changes Everything!)
A recent study has turned decades of medical education on its head by reporting a direct connection between the brain …
- This Boy Started Getting Unusual Sores After Playing In One of Those ‘Bounce Houses’
Bounce houses, like games, are fun and children love them! They’re often found at carnivals but parents can also rent …