The liver isn’t something that people think about when they’re healthy.
However, as you age, it becomes increasingly critical that you take care of this organ.
At least 30 million people—or one in 10 Americans—have some form of liver disease. There are more than 100 types of liver disease that can affect people regardless of age (1).
With a few lifestyle changes, this organ can reward you with a long and healthy life. It just requires a little thought and attention.
What Does The Liver Do?
Your liver is an essential organs for many reasons (2,3), it:
- Cleanses blood of toxins, metabolizes alcohol & drugs and neutralizes poisonous substances.
- Regulates energy by producing, storing and supplying glucose and fat.
- Manufactures proteins involved in blood clotting, immune response and nutrient transportation in the blood.
- Regulates hormones such as sex hormones, thyroid hormones and adrenal hormones. Also breaks down hemoglobin as well as insulin and other hormones.
- Produces cholesterol, excrets and converts it to other essential substances.
- Stores nutrients like iron and copper.
- Produces bile to eliminate toxins and help digest fats.
- Converts ammonia to urea, which is vital in metabolism.
- Destroys old red blood cells.
Here’s 5 everyday habits that will keep your liver running smoothly:
1. Drink Lemon Water
Drinking a glass of water after waking up is a great way to activate the internal organs: liver included.
Taking lemon water first thing in the morning helps flush out circulating toxins, which have accumulated overnight. It also stimulates your body for digestion.
Lemon water contains hesperidin, naringenin and eriocitrin, which protect the liver against inflammation and oxidative stress (4,5,6). Add a little lemon peel for even more benefits.
2. Add Turmeric To Everything
Curcumin, the active compound in turmeric, attenuates liver injury induced by ethanol, thioacetamide, iron overdose, cholestasis and acute, subchronic and chronic carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4)) intoxication. It can also reverse liver scarring (7).
3. Drizzle A Little Sesame Oil
Sesame oil reduces total levels of serum and liver cholesterol, liver LDL cholesterol, and liver lipids (9). It also helps oxidize fats to prevent fatty liver disease (10).
Sesame fights liver damage from pain relief products containing acetaminophen, like Tylenol and provides pain relief than pharmaceutical drugs (11).
It also combats liver damage by maintaining intracellular levels of glutathione, a potent antioxidant (12).
4. Sip On Alkaline Juice
For optimal liver health it’s important to stay away from sugary and acidic drinks, like soda (13). Instead, juice nutrient-dense dark leafy greens and other alkaline vegetables.
Long-term exposure to high levels of fructose causes tiny fat droplets to accumulate in liver cells, which can cause nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. This disease can kill liver cells and prevent the organ from regenerating healthy ones (14).
And no, it’s not the fruits you eat that harm you. It’s the combination of sugar loaded junk food and high fructose corn syrup that are the main culprits.
A high-fiber diet can reverse the negative effects of fatty liver on apoptosis and regenerative capacity (15). That’s why it’s important to make vegetable juice by using your blender, so that the fiber from the vegetables remains in the juice.
Fiber also absorbs bile to help push out toxins from the digestive tract.
5. Grab A Cup Of Herbal Tea
Ending the day with a cup of tea will help your liver get ready to continue its job as you sleep, which is especially helpful after having a big dinner.
Here are a few teas to try:
Milk Thistle (silymarin) is often suggested as a treatment for alcoholic hepatitis and alcoholic cirrhosis (16).
Silymarin, the active compound, acts as an antioxidant and prevents toxins from sticking onto liver cells (17).
Dandelion Leaves have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that prevent liver injury (18).
Burdock Root is traditionally used to purify the blood and prevent liver disease (19,20).
Chicory Root is used in traditional medicine to heal liver and gallbladder disorders and protect the liver from damage and stress (21).
Peppermint reduces the effect of immobilization stress on liver enzymes (22).
Adding these healthy habits to your everyday routine will ensure that your liver keeps your body clean and healthy for years to come!
- 35 Easy Tips to Help Fend off Stress
Stress can be detrimental to your work performance, not to mention the negative effects it has on aging, anger, and …
- 3 Homemade Treatments For Dandruff and Thinning Hair
Dandruff or thinning hair can be an irritating and embarrassing situation for many people. The good news is self-treatment can …
- Build a $300 Underground Greenhouse For Year-Round Gardening
Growers in colder climates often utilize various approaches to extend the growing season or to give their crops a boost, …
- Master List of Monsanto Owned “Food” Producers
What if you found out that your favorite brand isn’t as safe and family-friendly as its colorful branding makes it …
- Love Hurts: The Neuroscience Behind Heartache
It’s that time of year again. Whether you’d like to admit it or not, Valentine’s Day brings with it emotions, …
- Amazing Home Remedies for Treating Acne!
No one likes to have acne on their face. While it’s a natural condition that occurs during our teenage years, …
- How To Make Your Own Natural Antibiotic
Antibiotic resistance is becoming a really big threat to public safety. This phenomenon occurs when bacteria that has been exposed to …
- New Federal Study Links Monsanto Chemicals To Widespread Liver Disease In Poisoned Southern Town (Anniston, Alabama)
Mention Monsanto these days and you are sure to get a reaction from almost anyone. The American multinational agrochemical and …
- Juicing May Be The Answer To Many Of Your Chronic Health Problems
The videos below are amazing and may change your life. Juicing is a common sense approach to giving your body …
- 9 Easy Ways to STOP Mosquito Bites From ITCHING
Mosquitoes are annoying on their own, but when they bite, these pesky insects can keep you frustrated for days on …
- 4 Little Known Herbs That Help Protect Your Heart
Worried about your risk of stroke or heart attack? Maybe you have high cholesterol? In addition to medicine prescribed by …
- He Puts a Tea Bag Inside His Car For One GENIUS Reason Not Many People Know!
Do you love tea? If you’ve got tons of tea bags sitting in your kitchen cabinet then you’re in for a …
- How to Spot Fake Olive Oil From a Mile Away!
We’ve known for years the benefits of the Mediterranean diet: cardiovascular health and regulation of blood sugar and cholesterol. A …
- Wash Your Face With Coconut Oil Every Day And Watch What Happens To Blemishes And Wrinkles
Back in 2011, Americans spent more than $50 billion on beauty products. (1) Everyone wants beautiful looking skin. But not everyone’s …
- Lots of People Have Food Allergies – You Could Too
The gluten-free health trend has swept the nation but that’s not the only food allergy around. Believe it or not, …