Psoriasis isn’t really a skin condition—it’s a manifestation of an auto-immune condition. And a painful and unsightly one at that.
T-cells are a type of white blood cell that is responsible for fighting off foreign substances (bacteria and viruses) and killing abnormal cells.
If the immune system isn’t working properly, however, sometimes the T-cells go a little crazy and begin to attack healthy cells, too (1).
The T-cells identify healthy skin cells as intruders and multiply to meet the threat. Blood vessels near the skin enlarge and white blood cells move in. More T-cells attacking means healthy cells have to reproduce at a faster pace , which generates more T and other white blood cells, and the cycle of psoriasis is set in motion.
The new skin cells accumulate and move toward the outermost layer of skin much faster than normal. Your top layer of dead skin thickens, causing itching, burning, and cracked skin (2).
No one is entirely sure why this happens.
Genetics has been identified as a factor. Typically, a bout of psoriasis is triggered by some external event, such as (3):
- Infections, such as strep throat or skin infection
- Skin injury, such as a cut or scrape, bug bite, or severe sunburn
- Cold weather
- Heavy alcohol consumption
- Certain medications: lithium, which is prescribed for bipolar disorder; high blood pressure medications such as beta-blockers; antimalarial drugs; and iodides.
Symptoms of psoriasis include:
- Dry and cracked skin that might bleed
- Inflamed skin
- Red patches of skin covered in silvery scales
- Soreness, itching, or a burning sensation
- Small scaling spots (common in children)
- Pitted, thick, or ridged nails
- Swollen and stiff joints
Because it isn’t really a skin condition but rather an immune disorder, psoriasis tends to erupt and subside. There exist several forms of psoriasis and its incidence depends on the individual’s genetic make-up and personal triggers.
Natural Solutions That Work
There are many natural remedies for psoriasis, however, if you are taking any kind of medication, check with your healthcare provider before self-medicating to avoid drug interaction.
Just like medication doesn’t always work for everyone, certain plants may not quite meet your needs. It may take a while to find your perfect natural cure, but don’t give up: there is always a plant-based solution.
Aloe vera – an exceptionally medicinal succulent plant, aloe can be applied topically to reduce inflammation, soothe sore skin, and heals psoriasis patches without steroids. Taken internally, aloe vera juice provides a whole-body anti-inflammatory cleanse.
Oregon grape – this is a potent antimicrobial herb that boosts the immune system. Oregon grape tea can be taken internally as a tincture of applied topically a slave and has been shown to be effective in treating mild to moderate psoriasis outbreaks, providing relief. Berberine is an antimicrobial, antiviral, fungicidal, and antioxidant phytochemical present in Oregon grape. Ingestion of Oregon grape root cleanses the liver and regulates abnormal skin cell function (1).
“Oregon grape root extract has a history in America of being an effective internal treatment of psoriasis for more than a century. A recent clinical trial assessing only its topical application confirms its modern usefulness in this form. Aside from berberine, pharmacological studies describe mechanisms for several of its other alkaloids that appear to be primarily responsible for its beneficial influence in this condition. As with all therapeutic agents for psoriasis, Oregon grape root extract lacks universal efficacy, but for select patients it provides a reasonable alternative.”(2).
Tea tree oil – used for many skin conditions, melaleuca is a natural antiseptic that helps to remove dead skin, thereby reducing inflammation and itch. Mixed with water and applied to the affected area overnight on a regular basis can provide relief (3).
Turmeric – a super spice, this bright yellow-orange rhizome is an efficacious anti-inflammatory spice comparable to steroids. Its key component is curcumin—a curcumin cream mixed with eucalyptus has been found to absorb readily into the skin—delivering its impact without the dilution of travelling through the digestive system (4).
Capsaicin – responsible for the pigment and heat of cayenne peppers, this antibacterial, analgesic and anti-inflammatory coagulant compound can reduce pain and swelling of both the skin and joints caused by psoriasis. Initial application may sting but it will be followed by relief of pain and itching.
Capsicin Psoriasis Ointment
It’s best to wear gloves when handling cayenne to avoid irritation of your skin and mucous membranes. If it does get on your skin, you can wash it off with olive or coconut oil and wipe with a clean dry cloth. Apply liquid dish soap to the washed area to remove oil residue on the skin and rinse.
- Double boiler
- Glass jar with tight-fitting lid
- 3 tablespoons cayenne powder
- 1 cup of grapeseed oil (you can also use olive, almond or jojoba oil)
- ½ cup beeswax, grated
- Mix together cayenne with oil and heat in a double boiler for 5-10 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir in beeswax and continue to stir until it has melted completely and all ingredients are well blended.
- Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for 10 minutes, then whisk until smooth and uniform.
- Chill for another 10-15 minutes and whisk again before putting it in a glass jar.
Apply daily as needed for pain. Store in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
- How to Grow an Endless Supply of Lemons From Seed (This Will Last You a Lifetime)
Learning how to grow a lemon tree from seed is surprisingly rewarding and easy. While lemon trees tend to flourish outdoors year-round in …
- Anyone Whose Hair Is Falling Out Needs To Make This 2-Ingredient Drink Immediately
Hormones are chemical transmitters in the body that tell cells what to do and when. They are produced by the …
- This Is How Your Body Tries To Warn You That You’re Eating Too Much Salt
Sodium is essential to human health. The mineral helps to regulate fluids, maintain nerve transmissions and stimulate muscle contractions. But …
- Warning Signs Your Magnesium, Potassium and Calcium Levels Are OFF and How To FIX It!
You might have noticed that working out or sweating excessively may leave you feeling tired and dehydrated even when you …
- 4 Comfortable Sleeping Positions for Couples
Sleeping with a partner is nice. Sometimes. Other times, it can affect the healthy sleep of both people and force …
- Moisturizing, Pain-Relieving Bath Melts Recipe With Coconut Oil And Magnesium
Most people love to throw a bath bomb in the tub and soak their worries away. There are numerous types …
- Drink This 2x a Day To Remove Uric Acid Before It Crystallizes In Your Joints And Becomes Painful
Detox juices are an effective method to rejuvenate your body and improve your overall health. As a matter of fact, a natural …
- WATCH: Bacteria Invade Antibiotics And Transform Into Superbugs
This is very cool, very novel, very impressive, and fairly frightening. Over the past couple of decades, the medical community …
- These TOXIC Ingredients Are The Reason Why You’re Better Off Making Your Own Toothpaste
You might be surprised to learn that your toothpaste is loaded with unnecessary toxic ingredients. There’s a reason why the …
- 5 Ways to Reduce Inflammation Naturally
Inflammation is categorized as a condition that is physical and in which a certain part of the body becomes swollen, …
- WikiLeaks: Alcohol Industry Bribed Congress To Denounce Cannabis
Recreational cannabis use is on its way to becoming as widespread as alcohol. Top alcohol companies aren’t pleased with the …
- Top 11 Reasons Why Your Metabolism Isn’t Working at 100%
In spite of all the information and all the prescriptions offered by modern diets, people just keep getting fatter. This …
- 10 Signs You May Have an Ulcer
An ulcer is a painful sore in the stomach lining or at the opening of the small intestine. Ulcers happen …
- Dentists Develop New Treatment That Reverses Tooth Decay Naturally
For many people the thought of the dentist holds a sense of dread, especially when it comes to the drilling …
- 10 Weight Loss Habits That Can Help You Lose Over 20-30 Lbs And Keep It Off
Fad diets can help you to lose weight quickly. You’ll probably be impressed with the results after a week. But …