Believe it or not, cayenne pepper can save your life.
You may have heard about how science is attempting to create life-saving bandages that stop the bleeding of serious wounds.
Once again, science is only catching up to what Mother Nature already has to offer.
Cayenne In Your First Aid Kit
While gauze and direct pressure certainly help minimize bleeding, it can take a few layers and a few minutes to get it under control.
That’s when cayenne comes in hand.
According to eHow, the spice can stop bleeding in 10 seconds and control blood loss in under one minute. It can even work on serious wounds, although stitches may be required eventually to ensure that they heal properly (1).
Cayenne works by equalizing your blood pressure to clot blood and prevent further blood loss.
Cayenne also has mild antibacterial properties that prevent infection and promote proper wound healing (2).
How To Use Cayenne
To work in first aid, cayenne must be generously applied directly onto the wound. First, the site must be rinsed with clean water to remove any dirt. After the cayenne has been applied, the patient must stay still for at least 5-10 minutes to prevent changes in blood flow. If the wound is deep, it’s best to call emergency medical services in the meantime.
Cayenne can also be taken orally or nasally to treat internal hemorrhages inside the nose, stomach and throat. In these cases, it’s best to have your doctor or nurse administer the spice.
Other Medical Uses
Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin, a natural anti-inflammatory and analgesic compound.
Topically, Capsaicin cream is used to treat (3):
- Reduce itching and inflammation from psoriasis
- Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, as well as joint or muscle pain from fibromyalgia or other causes.
- Nerve pain from shingles and other painful skin conditions (postherpetic neuralgia)
- Pain after surgery, such as a mastectomy or an amputation.
- Pain from nerve damage such as diabetic peripheral neuropathy.
Cayenne has also been used in traditional Indian Ayurvedic, Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Native American medicine, so there’s no reason you shouldn’t give it a try too!
- Spray This Oil And You Will Never See Mold Again
Mold is everywhere, whether you can see it or not. These microscopic fungi flourish not only in the bathroom but …
- Science Proves Himalayan Salt Lamps Fight Anxiety and Depression
If you’ve already made the switch to Himalayan salt in the kitchen, why not take it a step further? Large …
- Avoid Fleas and Ticks Forever With This Natural Remedy!
Every pet owner knows how annoying fleas can be. These minuscule insects can multiply in days and easily infest your …
- 9 Exercises To Burn Abdominal Fat
What are the best exercises to burn belly fat? A common question in the world of fitness. Belly fat is …
- 9 Signs You’re Overstressed (And Don’t Know It)
Countless studies show that stress is at actually at the root of most disease. In fact, 77 percent of us …
- Your Body Is Acidic. Here’s What You NEED To Do (The Real Truth Behind Cancer…)
Ever heard of Dr. Otto H. Warburg? Unless you or your family member has suffered from cancer and tried to …
- Take THIS Before Bed to Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat While You Sleep
Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat It’s normal for your weight to fluctuate by a few pounds, even when you exercise …
- The EXACT Amount of Epsom Salts You Should Be Adding to Your Bath Based on Your Weight
Epsom salt may look like salt, but it’s actually magnesium sulfate, a mineral compound (1). Epsom salt can be used …
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …