Believe it or not, cayenne pepper can save your life.
You may have heard about how science is attempting to create life-saving bandages that stop the bleeding of serious wounds.
Once again, science is only catching up to what Mother Nature already has to offer.
Cayenne In Your First Aid Kit
While gauze and direct pressure certainly help minimize bleeding, it can take a few layers and a few minutes to get it under control.
That’s when cayenne comes in hand.
According to eHow, the spice can stop bleeding in 10 seconds and control blood loss in under one minute. It can even work on serious wounds, although stitches may be required eventually to ensure that they heal properly (1).
Cayenne works by equalizing your blood pressure to clot blood and prevent further blood loss.
Cayenne also has mild antibacterial properties that prevent infection and promote proper wound healing (2).
How To Use Cayenne
To work in first aid, cayenne must be generously applied directly onto the wound. First, the site must be rinsed with clean water to remove any dirt. After the cayenne has been applied, the patient must stay still for at least 5-10 minutes to prevent changes in blood flow. If the wound is deep, it’s best to call emergency medical services in the meantime.
Cayenne can also be taken orally or nasally to treat internal hemorrhages inside the nose, stomach and throat. In these cases, it’s best to have your doctor or nurse administer the spice.
Other Medical Uses
Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin, a natural anti-inflammatory and analgesic compound.
Topically, Capsaicin cream is used to treat (3):
- Reduce itching and inflammation from psoriasis
- Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, as well as joint or muscle pain from fibromyalgia or other causes.
- Nerve pain from shingles and other painful skin conditions (postherpetic neuralgia)
- Pain after surgery, such as a mastectomy or an amputation.
- Pain from nerve damage such as diabetic peripheral neuropathy.
Cayenne has also been used in traditional Indian Ayurvedic, Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Native American medicine, so there’s no reason you shouldn’t give it a try too!
- Nation’s First Soda Tax Passes In Berkeley, California
Big Soda took a loss on Election Day when voters in Berkeley, California approved a ballot measure that will place …
- Your Depression Is NOT Caused By Chemical Imbalance. And Yes, There’s Way a To FIGHT It!
1 in 10 Americans currently takes antidepressants. In middle-aged women, this number goes up to 1 in 4 (1). These …
- Colorado Is Using $3 Million From Marijuana Tax To Provide Food And Housing For The Homeless
Legalizing marijuana is not a new issue by any means. And for the most part, it has been, and will …
- Why You Shouldn’t Get Nutrition Advice From Your Doctor
Let me ask you this first; have you ever gone to your doctor as a result of any of the …
- Best DIY Homemade Toner for Acne Prone Skin
A homemade toner for acne prone skin should be two things: simple and economical. No long list of required ingredients, …
- 5 Detox Teas To Flush Out Toxins From Your Body And Nurture The Good Bacteria In Your Gut
While it’s more common to focus on popular health subjects such as weight loss, disease prevention, or physical appearance, many …
- NASA-Recommended: 18 Plants To Effectively Purify The Air In Your House!
Having houseplants is a great way to keep your air clean. There are many air filtering plants that can purify the …
- Are Your Sugary Treats Leading You Down the Road to Heart Disease
Many people who are not concerned with maintaining their weight or shedding a few excess pounds, may find that they …
- Scorch Body Fat and Save Muscle!
You may or may not already know this but the human body has two main fuel tanks. One is referred …
- This Is What The Color of Your Pee Says About You!
It may be strange to take a look at the business you do in the washroom, but it’s a habit …
- Here’s What Happens When You Don’t Clear Out The Gunk In Your Colon (And How To Fix It In 1 Month)
When your body processes food, waste can sometimes build up on the wall of your colon. This excess waste that should …
- How To Grow Your Own Avocado Tree In Small Garden Pot
If you’re like most health-conscious people, you probably go through countless avocados every week. Although most people throw out its …
- 10 Secret Kitchen Hacks Which Only Chefs Know
Not everybody loves to cook, but everyone has to eat. As you spend more time in the kitchen, you develop …
- DIY Lip Scrub: 26 Easy Ways To Say Goodbye To Chapped Lips
What if it was ridiculously easy to make a DIY lip scrub at home and not worry about artificial chemicals? Cracked …
- 8 Proven Weight Loss Tips For Women: Watch The Pounds Melt Away
Women are naturally predisposed to have a higher BMI than men (1). This is because women need a certain amount …