Aloe vera has a great reputation for its many topical uses, and is also a popular houseplant due to its hardy nature. But did you know you can use it in drinks and smoothies as well?
Many people use aloe vera gel to soothe bruises and sunburns. But when taken orally, it has many other uses as well. It can boost your immune system, and function as an antioxidant as well. These four recipes are not only tasty and easy to make, but all contain gel from the aloe vera plant for a healthy boost.
1. Aloe Juice Recipe
- 1 large aloe vera leaf
- 2 cups water
Slice the aloe vera leaf down the middle and use a spoon to scoop out the transparent flesh of the plant. You should have two to four tablespoons of flesh from the leaf. Add the flesh to the water and mix well in a blender until the mixture is smooth. If you don’t like the taste of pure aloe juice, you can mix it with citrus juice or add a natural sweetener. This can be used as a base for other aloe drink recipes.
2. Chia Fresca Recipe
- 2 cups aloe vera juice
- 1.5 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice to taste
- Sweetener to taste
Mix the chia seeds and aloe vera juice together in a glass or jar, making sure to stir them very well. Let it sit for ten minutes, allowing time for the chia seeds to swell up. Once it’s had time to sit, add lime or lemon juice and sweetener to taste.
The chia seeds will naturally settle to the bottom of this drink so be sure to stir it regularly!
3. Aloe Vera Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup milk or almond milk
- 1medium-sized fileted aloe leaf (yields approximately 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup mango chunks
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 handful fresh basil
- sweetener to taste
You can also add flax or chia seeds, or protein powder to this smoothie as you desire.
Mix the ingredients and blend thoroughly in a food processor or blender.
4. Aloe Vera Orange Juice Recipe
- 3 large organic oranges
- 2 large aloe vera leafs
Juice the oranges using a hand juicer and harvest the gel using the same technique you used in the aloe juice recipe. Combine the juice from the oranges and the aloe vera flesh in a blender and blend on high speed for about a minute.
How It Works
Aloe vera has a long history of use in traditional as well as contemporary medicine. Commonly used in Trinidad and Tobago to treat urinary problems and diabetes(1), as well as among Mexican populations for the treatment of diabetes(2), aloe vera is a well-respected herbal medicine.
Today, it is one of the few herbal medicines widely used in Western society. The manufacturing of aloe vera extracts is one of the largest botanical industries in the world, with aloe vera being used in cosmetics, soaps, lotions, perfumes, and other products, as well as in oral dietary supplements.
Aloe vera is a natural antioxidant and immune system booster(3), whose health properties are still being studied today(4). It is safe to consume even in large doses, so feel free to use it in all your cocktails and smoothies!
- This 2-Minute Detox Drink Helps You Burn Fat And Fight Diabetes
Illnesses. Sometimes they’re easy to cure, other times not so much. That being said, having to deal with several health problems …
- Drink This Homemade Syrup To Help Loosen Up Chest Phlegm and Expel It Out of Your Body
The worst part of a bad chest cold is probably the feeling of congestion you get in your chest, and …
- This Easy DIY Homemade Ketchup Is So Good, You’ll Never Go Back To The Store-Bought Stuff!
Ah, ketchup. It’s the favorite condiment of toddlers and kids everywhere for hot dogs, chicken nugget, and french fries. But …
- This Lifesaving Ancient Cold and Flu Remedy is so Effective Even Hippocrates Would Recommend It!
Trying to navigate your way through the flu season can be quite the challenge. Especially, if you’re taking public transit. And …
- 5 Tasty Cherry Recipes That Will Give Your Body a Much Needed Boost In Melatonin
No one can resist the sweet tartness of a cherry. It turns out there is much more the cherry can …
- 11 Easy Crustless Pizza You’ll Love
Pizza is delicious. But it’s not something that you can enjoy every day without any repercussions. There are two main problems with pizza: …
- This Spiced Coffee Recipe Is a Complete Meal All On Its Own And Will Last You a Week
Many people rely on caffeine to get them going in the morning, and while there’s nothing wrong with that, coffee …
- These Super Healthy Turmeric Coconut Cream Cups Are Easy To Make At Home!
If you’re looking for a way to get more superfoods into your diet. This recipe is going to be your …
- He Fills An Ice Cube Tray With Fresh Herbs. The Reason? GENIUS!!
Do you ever wish you could use fresh herbs in all your cooking? We buy fresh dill, basil, cilantro, oregano, …
- Drink This All-In-1 Ginger Tea To Dissolve Kidney Stones, Detox Your Liver And Fight Cancer
Ginger has been used medicinally in China and India for over 5000 years. It’s proven through time to treat digestion …
- Lemon With Garlic Mixture: Perfect For Clearing Heart Blockages
High levels of LDL cholesterol (the bad type) and a diet high in inflammatory foods is a recipe for disaster. If you …
- Raw Chocolate Smoothie Recipe with Avocado, Almond Milk, Banana and Raw Honey
Oh, my. This looks so incredibly delicious that we may have to put it at the top of the “gotta …
- This Smoothie Is So Good You Won’t Believe It Has One of the Most Powerful Antioxidants In The World
Smoothies are the perfect meal supplement for people looking to lose weight while still getting essential nutrients in their diet. …
- Eating Your Trees: Fun and Healthy Broccoli Recipes
Broccoli is rich in fiber, vitamin C, and tons of phytonutrients, and it’s available just about year round. While you …
- 13 Delicious Ways to Make Homemade Hummus (Recipes Included)
Hummus is a great dish and its main ingredient, chickpeas, offer a plethora of health benefits. They’re an excellent source …