We’ve come to know, through medical research and ancestral wisdom, that there are foods that contain certain nutrients that prevent and/or kill cancerous cells in the body.
But are there foods that cause cancer to develop and grow? You bet.
Below are cancer causing foods to avoid to stave off cancer; they may not directly cause cancer but they sure do contribute towards the condition.
1. Refined Sugar
Refined (white) sugar has no nutritional value, its only value lies in its flavor. Robbed of its nutritious components during processing, all that’s left at the end of the process is really just cancer in a bag (2).
That’s not to say you should cut all carbohydrates from your diet—every cell in your body uses glucose (the most fundamental form of sugar) for energy. Your metabolism works every minute of every day to break down the food you eat into glucose, lipids, and protein to feed your body.
The critical difference between carbohydrates and simple sugar is the complexity and availability of the glucose. Refined sugars are already broken down and are readily absorbed into the bloodstream, causing an increase in insulin production and a spike in blood sugar. Chronic overuse of refined sugar can overtax the pancreas, leading to diabetes.
Even more toxic than refined sugar are high-fructose corn syrup and other artificial sweeteners.
2. Genetically Modified Organisms
GMO foods have been the subject of controversy since 1982 when the Food and Drug Administration approved the first GMO for human consumption: humulin, a synthetic insulin (3). There is a huge body of research on the subject of the safety of GMO in food; but depending on who funded the study, conclusions differ.
With the extreme power held by GMO companies, many researchers are trying to find out the truth about the long-term health and environmental consequences of GMO foods. Independent studies found direct links between GMO and the development of numerous conditions, including autism, liver and kidney disorders, neurodegenerative disease, and cancer.
3. Microwave Popcorn
Microwave foods may be easy, quick, and convenient, but they’re also toxic. The linings of the bags in which microwave popcorn is sold contain harmful chemicals.
Manufacturers soak popcorn kernels so it’ll pop more effectively in a solution that includes a chemical also found in lighter fluid. The butter flavoring contains diacetyl, an agent that has been found to cause a condition known as “popcorn lung”(4).
Organic popcorn is a healthful treat: cook it on the stove in coconut oil and sprinkle with nutritional yeast for a cheesy, nutritious, and satisfying snack.
4. Processed Potato Chips
The problem with these admittedly yummy morsels is three-fold:
- When cooked in oil at high temperatures, the compound acrylamide will develop in most carbohydrates. This is a natural process and in normal amounts—that is, what occurs if you bake a whole potato in the oven, for example—acrylamide is effortlessly metabolized by the body. In mass production, however, the amount of this chemical increases exponentially, containing as much as 910 times the legal limit in one bag of chips. Regular ingestion of acrylamide and similar cooking by-products has been associated with cancer risk.
- Many brands of potato chips contain artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives—all of which have implications for health. They are also loaded with fat and empty calories.
- Why can’t you eat just one? “The Dorito Effect.” The flavorings used in chips and other snacks are intentionally misleading and addictive.
5. Processed Meat
Meat products like hot dogs, sausages, and deli meats are loaded with chemicals to prolong shelf life. Since they contain cancer-causing nitrates, childhood consumption of these foods is linked to Leukemia, brain cancer, and pancreatic cancer (5,6).
And it’s not just lunchmeat that can impact your health : A study published in BMC medicine found that a high consumption of red meat was related to higher all-cause mortality, including death caused by cancer (7).
The pop industry represents a $43 billion-a-year industry in the U.S. alone, led by CocaCola and PepsiCo (8). Sweetened with both refined sugars and high-fructose corn syrup, soda is preserved with sodium benzoate, a known carcinogen.
7. Canned Tomatoes
It’s not the tomatoes that lead to cancer, it’s the can itself. The acid in tomatoes eats the lining of the metal can.
Bisphenol-A (BPA) is a synthetic estrogen present in the lining of metal cans that’s been linked to many diseases, as well as decreased sperm production and DNA damage.
To keep your family safe, ditch the can and buy fresh tomatoes or fruits sold in glass bottles or jars.
- Handy Guide To Vitamins A-K
Vitamins like minerals are nutrients that are required by your body in order to function properly. A vitamin deficiency occurs …
- The UN Treaty to Ban Mercury: For Big Business or Consumer Safety?
Mercury, also known as thimerisol, has long been known as a dangerous toxin. It has been shown to cause changes …
- Soak Your Whites In Baking Soda Water For THIS Genius Reason!
Most people find themselves thinking twice before purchasing a classic white blouse or shirt. The fact is that white clothing …
- When He Got Diagnosed With Stage 4 Cancer, His Son Suggested That He Try THIS and It Worked!
Could you use something as simple as baking powder or baking soda to treat cancer? One man, Vernon Johnston, used …
- EpiPen Cost Hike Under Fire: 600$ Medicine Costs Dollars To Make
In an interview with CNN this week, CEO of Imprimis Pharmaceuticals Mark Baum discussed his company’s plans to release an …
- Horrific Birth Defects in Washington State Has Experts Baffled
There is something seriously wrong in the fertile Yakima Valley region of Washington. A surging number of babies are being …
- Do NOT Eat or Serve Another Bag of Salad Until You’ve Read This! (1 Dead, 12 More Hospitalized)
No matter how many times your salad says “pre-washed”, it’s always worth it to rinse it once more. The Dole …
- Eating This Little-Known Herb Protects Your Body From 5 Different Types Of Cancer
Moringa oleifera is a quick-growing tree in South Asia and throughout the tropics. The Ayurvedic system of medicine uses its …
- Carbs at Night – Natural Fat Loss Killer or Myth?
There are many things that fitness experts and nutritionists think they know for sure. You hear them everywhere. You have …
- How To Treat Sugar Induced Fatty Liver Disease Using Green Tea And Turmeric
Turmeric is one of the healthiest spices in the world. It’s most active compound, curcumin, has been shown to have …
- How To Make Detox Foot Pads At Home To Cleanse Your Body Of Toxins
Foot pads have been used and sold in Japan for hundreds of years. Similar to acupuncture, which has a positive effect on people’s energetic systems, …
- Here’s Why You Should Leave A Coin In The Freezer Before Leaving The House
When preparing for a vacation, everybody has a list of things they check before leaving the house. Most people double …
- How to Make Your Own Natural Sunscreen Using Coconut Oil
Store bought sunscreens can have some harmful side effects and many people today are choosing to go a healthier, more …
- Chemical in Plastic is 100X More Toxic Than Initially Suspected?! (Here’s 7 Natural Ways to Detox)
The chemical bisphenol A – or BPA for short – is used in tens of thousands of consumer products, but …
- BigPharma’s Sanofi Pasteur Refuses To Recall Contaminated Vaccine
Yet another reason to distrust commonly administered vaccines has come to light, thanks to local news outlet The Morning Call …