Sodium benzoate, a preservative used commonly in soda drinks, when mixed with citric acid or ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) can create the carcinogen benzene when put in the same bottle together.
Big Food Tried to Keep this a Secret
The FDA has known about this cancer causing by-product for more than 20 years, whereas the public only found out in 2006 that these 2 ingredients can create a public health crisis.
Still, even though the mixing of these 2 ingredients causes serious side effects, no one is still willing to address this health hazard as the ingredients are still found together in many soft drinks on the market.
Some soda companies also use a variant formula using potassium benzoate which has exactly the same effect when mixed with citric acid.
The Facts Don’t Lie
A Belgian Study carried out in 2008 found that benzene formation from sodium/potassium benzoate and citric acid is made worse when the ingredients are bottled in plastic packaging.
In the same year, Diet Coke decided to drop the additive sodium benzoate, also known as E211, due to fears that it caused DNA damage.
Plus, the same ingredient has been found to cause hyperactivity and/or ADHD as well as irritating allergies which prompted swift EU bans. These conclusions were drawn from a 2007 study that was carried out in Southampton.
Failed by the Food Manufacturers
Soda drinks are consumed the most in areas where people are living close to the poverty line, often because of how cheap these drinks are.
And obviously a large part of making these choices still falls solely with the individual. But there is no denying that for those who are struggling to get by, the food manufacturers and stores that sell them know full well that people who buy soda drinks may not be completely aware of the ingredients in them.
At present, there is just no way of knowing whether the ‘elite’ have planned it in this way, enjoying the dumbing down of the consumer in the process, or have simply failed to correct the problem.
It’s not hard to believe that the consumer is not valued very much when food manufactures create drinks that they know contain ingredients with high chance of causing cancer right from the get go.
Choose Health & Longevity Over Price
As humans we are capable of so much more. We are also capable of escaping the deadly cycle of disease if we become ingredient savvy and read more about the wrong-doings going on in our food industry that the media simply does not focus on enough.
This is the only way to protect ourselves from the big corporate greedy hands trying to get us to spend our hard earned cash on their unhealthy products.
So vote with your pocket every single time you shop, and choose products that are healthier for you in the long run rather than going for food and drinks that are appealing only due to their seemingly great price. As in the long run, if you don’t, you will be paying the true price of these bargain foods and drinks with your own health!
-  http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/intheworkplace/benzene
-  http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf072580q
-  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1021820/Diet-Coke-drop-additive-DNA-damage-fear.html
-  http://www.southampton.ac.uk/mediacentre/news/2007/sep/07_99.shtml
- 10 Incredible Ways Eating Cannabis Oil Could Save Your Life
Just because a substance is illegal does not mean it is bad. In fact, many legal substances are responsible for …
- The Truth About Diet Sodas and Why They Don’t Work
Conventional wisdom may tell you that the best way to get started on the path to fat loss is to …
- Top 5 Reasons Why You Need To Cut Back on Fructose
Many diets, such as the Paleo diet, advise against consuming large amounts of sugar. There’s a good reason for this: …
- Two Fruits Pack The Biggest Antioxidant Punch For Disease Prevention and Longevity
(Guest post by Karen Foster) While eating an apple a day could keep the undertaker away, a cooked tomato may be …
- An EGG-ceptional Superfood Backed by Science (Yes, It’s Okay To Eat The Yolk!)
Nutrition experts often know what they are doing, but their track record in identifying unhealthy foods is not very good. …
- How to Make One of The Most Powerful Natural Medicine Known To Man – Turmeric Supplements
Turmeric is quickly rising as an all-healing superfood that can prevent a wide variety of chronic diseases. The East Indian …
- This Smoothie Is So Good You Won’t Believe It Has One of the Most Powerful Antioxidants In The World
Smoothies are the perfect meal supplement for people looking to lose weight while still getting essential nutrients in their diet. …
- Leave That Canola Oil on The Shelf and Forget About it!
(originally written by Dr. Stephen Gangemi) Canola oil is a staple in most homes, especially in North America. The fatty …
- 5 Antioxidant-Rich Recipes Featuring Red Grapes
Red grapes are one of the best sources of the antioxidant resveratrol, thought to be one of the main reasons …
- 11 Kitchen Hacks To Eat Healthy Without Even Trying
There is an easier way to achieve healthy eating than tearing your hair in agony over carb-free foods and sugar-less treats. The …
- 3 Tricks to Make Your Coffee Super Healthy
The “is coffee good for you?” debate has raged on for years, but researchers finally seem to be coming to …
- Here’s Why You Need To Eat 7-10 Cups of Salad Each Day
When people are trying to lose weight, they often increase their salad intake to help them reach their weight loss …
- 3 Valentine’s Day Indulgences That Also Support Your Health
With cupid’s holiday approaching quickly, it’s a welcoming thought that there are actually delicious Valentine’s Day treats that are also …
- Natural Compound Found in Grapes Protects DNA, Cuts Risk of Heart Disease and Cancer
This powerful polyphenol is no stranger to news headlines and the health-minded people who are privy to various findings about it. …
- Here’s Why You Should NEVER Use Highly Processed Coffee Creamers (Try This Recipe Instead!)
Many people use creamer in their morning coffee, thinking that it’s healthier than regular cream. But the fact is, non-dairy …