Among American favorites is the Hot Dog – a fourth of July staple that’s eaten at least once a week in most households.
Many Americans are so used to eating a certain way that they don’t realize that they’re making unhealthy choices and that those choices are affecting their kids.
However, a USC epidemiologist found that children who eat more than 12 hot dogs per month have nine times the normal risk of developing childhood leukemia (1). And that’s not all, in another study, children who ate hot dogs one or more times per week were also at higher risk of brain cancer (2).
The study examined the relationship between the intake of certain foods and the risk of leukemia in children from birth to age 10 in Los Angeles County between 1980 and 1987 (3).
It also concluded that there was a strong risk for childhood leukemia for children whose fathers’ intake of hot dogs was 12 or more per month before conception.
This demonstrated in part that the dietary habits of parents before their child is born, as well as during pregnancy, can leave them more prone to disease.
In fact, researchers Sarusua and Savitz, who studied childhood cancer cases in Denver, found that children born to mothers who consumed hot dogs one or more times per week during pregnancy had approximately double the risk of developing brain tumors (2).
It’s been suggested that the nitrates contained in hot dogs are the cause of these health problems.
“Processed red meat commonly contains sodium, nitrates, phosphates and other food additives, and smoked and grilled meats also contain polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, all of which may contribute to the increased heart failure risk,” explains Alicja Wolk, D.M.Sc. (source)
According to the Canadian Cancer Society, these nitrates act as preservatives to prevent food from spoiling, and they also add colour to the meat.
Nitrites and nitrates are not cancer-causing by themselves, but in certain conditions in the body they can be changed into by-products called N-nitroso compounds, such as nitrosamines and nitrosamides. N-nitroso compounds are associated with an increased risk of cancer.
Vitamin C may be added to some preserved meats. Vitamin C keeps nitrites from changing into nitrosamines, which may help reduce the risk of cancer associated with these chemicals.
However, new cases of nitrate-caused cancers still appear at an alarming rate each year.
How To Avoid Nitrate-Filled Foods
- Minimize your consumption of processed foods and cured meat products such as hot dogs, sausage and cold cuts.
- Check labels carefully and avoid products that list sodium or potassium nitrates and nitrites. In addition to lunchmeat, some canned beans and vegetables with bacon, and even packaged seafood, may contain these added chemicals.
- Eat organic food. Synthetic nitrates and nitrites are not allowed as preservatives in organic packaged foods and meats.
- Find out if your water is tainted with nitrates or nitrites. Public drinking water utilities test for these compounds and must disclose their results. If you drink well water, your local health department can help you find out if this is a problem in your area. You can also have your water tested by a laboratory. If the chemicals are present, consider treating your water with a home water distiller, a reverse osmosis filter or an ion exchange filter to remove any fertilizer nitrates in the groundwater.
- Eat a diet high in antioxidants. Vitamin C and certain other vitamins can reduce the conversion of nitrates and nitrites to nitrosamines. (source)
- 5 Frightening Diseases You Can Save Yourself From By Sleeping Better
Everyone’s pulled an all-nighter at some point in their lives, and experienced the side effects of not getting enough sleep …
- Use This Homemade Probiotic Deodorant To Rebalance The Good Bacteria On Your Skin
“Probiotic” is talked about so much in health food and health blog circles that it can start to seem like a …
- 5 Painful Ways Excess Abdominal Fat Is Robbing You of Your Health
“1/3 of U.S. adults are obese.” By now, most of us are well aware of the health risks that are associated with …
- 15 Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Your Body And Home!
You’d think that the products you use to keep your home clean and healthy for your family would do just …
- 7 Surprising Sore Throat Remedies Hiding In Your Pantry
From air pollution that acts as an irritant to allergies and the frustrating common cold, the causes for developing a …
- How To Remove Blackheads Naturally Using Only 2 Ingredients
Although these two conditions have multiple factors and often require a visit to the dermatologist to fully cure, there are …
- Homemade Ginger Oil To Replace Pain Pills, Cough Syrup, Antibiotics And More!
It’s almost impossible to list all the benefits and uses of ginger. This highly medicinal rhizome is a potent anti-inflammatory, …
- Want All the Amazing Benefits of Coconut Oil? Then Make Sure You Buy the RIGHT Kind!
We’ve been hearing a lot about coconut oil lately; whether it’s about the oil’s value in the kitchen or its …
- How High-Fructose Corn Syrup Could Be Hurting You
With the transition from sugar to high-fructose corn syrup as the primary sweetener in the USA, obesity rates have tripled …
- Cleanse Your Kidneys of Toxins With These Effective 1-Ingredient Drinks
Your kidneys are constantly clearing your blood of harmful substances and toxins. When overloaded, kidneys can slowly accumulate toxins in its tissues, …
- The Healing Coconut Lemon Pudding Anyone With Joint Pain Needs To Eat
Who knew that lemon pudding can actually help you manage arthritis? Joint pain is not only extremely painful, it is …
- Infographic Shows The Differences Between The Diseases We Donate To And The Diseases That Kill Us
People donate money to causes that matter to them personally but there are obviously those that are more “popular” than …
- Chronic Stress Increases Your Risk For Obesity and Diabetes. Here’s What You Need to Know…
It’s no secret that environmental and lifestyle factors like diet and exercise can have a huge impact on your health, …
- These Illustrations Show What It’s Like To Suffer From Anxiety And Depression
Depression and anxiety are extremely common mental illnesses, but they’re very poorly understood by society in general. Because of social …
- Dove’s ‘Real’ Beauty Products Are Filled With Cancer-Causing Chemicals, Fake Dyes and Toxic Fragrance
In one sense the marketing gurus of Dove beauty and skin care products hit the nail on the head. They …