17. Candida Suppressor
Propolis is known to show significant antifungal activity against C. Albicans, C. glabrata, C. krusei, and Trichosporon. This is especially good news for anyone who suffers from yeast infections. In several studies, propolis reduced and inhibited multiple strains of yeast (including C. Albicans). (30, 31) Even chronic yeast infections have been successfully treated by douching with propolis. (32)
18. Vaginal Treatment
For inflammation of the vagina and cervix caused by pathogens (trichomoniasis, staphylococcus, streptococcus, etc.), you can use douching or tampons soaked in a propolis treatment under the supervision of your certified naturopath. Taking propolis internally can also have positive effects on your vaginal health.
19. Clear Your Skin
The antioxidants and antiseptics in bee propolis combined with its natural emollients explain how it benefits the skin. Propolis is known to clear acne and boils, heal rashes and blemishes, and reduce scarring. Bee propolis was used in the embalming process in ancient Egypt; it’s said that Cleopatra used it to apply the same preservative qualities to her skin. Even mainstream cosmetic companies have hopped on the propolis bandwagon, adding it to lotions and tonics for the skin.
Nourishing skin and hair by the roots, bee propolis also stimulates hair growth. (33)
Egyptian Magic Cream
- 37g| 1.3oz c olive oil
- 10g | 0.35oz beeswax
- 5g | 0.17oz raw honey
- ½ tsp ground bee pollen
- 40 drops bee propolis tincture
- Weigh the olive oil and beeswax into together in a small saucepan and melt together over low heat, reserving a teaspoon or two of the olive oil.
- Whisk the honey in a small bowl, slowly blending in the pollen, propolis, and reserved olive oilYou’ll need to whisk very thoroughly to ensure the olive oil emulsifies into the honey.
- Once the olive oil and beeswax have melted, remove them from the heat and let cool, stirring, until you have an opaque, creamy substance. Transfer the honey mixture to the pot and vigorously whisk everything together.
- When the mixture is thoroughly mixed and emulsified, pour it into a small 30mL/1oz aluminum tin and chill in the fridge until hard.
- Use on skin, lips, blemishes, and small sores.
Bonus: Healing Propolis Tonic
Bee propolis also contains vitamins A and B complex; minerals calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, copper, and zinc; and 16 of the 22 essential amino acids. Given all the healing benefits of bee propolis, a general healing tonic seems appropriate.
To use, mix 8 drops of bee propolis tincture in 16 ounces of warm water. Drink every day to maintain health. You may also mix it with honey, tea, and herbs.
Propolis may not be the best known of bees’ contributions to humanity but it is certainly just as important. With so many applications and such a large variety of benefits, propolis is something we should all add to our pantries to support our health, inside and out.