Blueberries are delicious and perfectly sweet, but did you know that they’re also great for your heart health? In fact, blueberries are highly valued for its high antioxidant value among fruits and vegetables. They contain anthocyanins, which are part of a sub-class of flavanoids and give bluberries their blue color.
These antioxidants help to counter the buildup of plaque, fight free radicals and improve cardiovascular health. Long-term intake of high Anthocyanin is associated with a reduced risk of Myocardial Infarction (heart attack) in young and middle-aged women (1). In fact, another study by Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics found that “Daily blueberry consumption improves blood pressure and arterial stiffness in postmenopausal women with pre- and stage 1-hypertension.” (2).
These antioxidants are also said to:
- Improve memory
- Reduce risk of developing Alzheimer’s and dementia
- Help digestion
- Prevent cancer
Blueberries make a great snack, with only 80 calories per cup. They’ll full of dietary fiber, which helps keep you full and improves digestion. 1 cup also contains about 25% of your daily value of Manganese (3).
37% of Americans are deficient in manganese, which can contribute to infertility and bone malformation (4).
Manganese helps the body form connective tissue, bones, blood clotting factors, and sex hormones. It also plays a role in fat and carbohydrate metabolism, calcium absorption, and blood sugar regulation. Manganese is also necessary for normal brain and nerve function. (source)
How To Grow Blueberries Indoors
Buying blueberries can be quite expensive even if you’re not buying organic. If you want to add blueberries to your diet without breaking the bank, here are two ways to go about it:
- You can buy frozen ones.
- Learn how to grow blueberries.
If you choose option 2, make sure to select a blueberry variety that grows well in pots, such as “top hat” blueberries.
It’s also important to monitor soil Ph levels and ensure that it remains between 4.5 and 5.0.
When selecting a pot, remember that Blueberry roots are shallow and prioritize a short, large container over a tall and narrow one.
To make sure your plant doesn’t drown or begins to grow mold on its roots, plant it in a pot with drainage.
- Fill the container two-thirds full with an acidic soil mix.
- Gently wiggle the plastic grower’s pot it came in to release the plant from its pot.
- Center the blueberry bush in the container, filling in the edges between the plant and the pot with more soil.
- Use your hands to apply firm pressure on the soil to prevent it from loosening up when you water your plant.
- Water well and add more soil if necessary, do not “choke” the base of the bush with dirt.
- Spread 1 to 2 inches of acidic mulch like pine needles on top of the soil.
- Place in a sunny location with at least six hours of sun a day.
- Harvest your berries and enjoy!
- Weighted Blankets For Sleep And Anxiety: You’ll Definitely Want To Try This!
A good night’s sleep doesn’t just depend on where you lie down; It’s also about what you lie under. Recent …
- Aluminum in Deodorants Can Cause Breast Cancer. Use Lime to Eliminate Body Odor
Sweating is never fun, unless you’re in a sauna. Sweating allows your body to get rid of toxins and prevent overheating. …
- 5 Acupressure Points You Can Do By Yourself To Relieve Stress And Anxiety In Under 3 Minutes
It’s normal to get stressed out every once in a while, but being stressed all the time can become a …
- 17 Early Warning Signs of Cancer Most of Us Overlook Because They’re So Common
Early detection is vital when it comes to the successful treatment of cancer, especially when it comes to particularly aggressive …
- This Man Is Growing Tomatoes by The Dozens on Auto-Pilot Using ONLY Buckets (And No Electricity!)
Growing tomatoes on auto-pilot without manual labor? How does it work? The Alaska Grow Bucket design is based on a …
- 7 Dangerous Toxins In Beauty Products That Cause Inflammation, Rashes, Skin Allergies and Cancer
These days, it seems like absolutely everything directly or indirectly causes cancer. Forget about cigarettes, air fresheners, foods additives, environmental …
- Here is What You Need To Check Next Time You Buy Bottled Water
Bottled water sure is convenient, but are they safe? If you’ve ever turned your bottled water upside-down, you may have …
- This Woman Cured Her Stage 4 Cancer Without Chemo…(She Ate a Lot of THIS!)
Cancer truly is the disease of the century : while many other conditions came and went, cancer stayed strong and …
- Canadian Clay Kills Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria On Contact
Is healing clay a reasonable treatment option for modern-day ills? It may become one. As we move closer and closer …
- DEA Ridiculed: American Epilepsy Society Announce Cannabis Extract Obliterates Epileptic Seizures In Children
Cannabis is by far one of the most healing plants in history. And yet, in most of the world, it …
- 12 Essential Oils That Fight Cancer, Boost Immunity, and Improve Feelings of Well-being
With healthcare costs on the rise and the drastic increases in the prevalence of cancers, diabetes, obesity, and neurodegenerative disease …
- Here’s Why You Need To Wash Your Hair With Apple Cider Vinegar At Least Once In Your Lifetime!
As more and more people eschew expensive, chemical-filled shampoos and conditioners for more natural hair treatments, a superhero in the …
- Why Lavender Oil is MORE Effective Than Xanax, Valium and Prozac for Relieving Anxiety
Despite all the advancements in technology designed to make our life easier, researchers are finding that we are more stressed …
- Right to Farm Being Stripped From Americans: Michigan to Criminalize Small Residential Farms.
In the latest stunning assault on Americans’ right to grow their own food, the freedom-crushing state of Michigan has ruled …
- DON’T Do This at The Grocery Store (Automatically Adds More Calories)
Have you ever shopped for food hungry? Many people think that shopping while hungry influences your food purchasing decisions. It’s …