Few common plants are as versatile and nurturing to human health as aloe vera.
While intrinsically a tropical plant, this succulent is a hearty, easy-to-grow houseplant that can come in very handy in a great many ways. From purifying household air from neurotoxins to treating skin burns, it’s an interesting and functional part of your home decor.
Let’s start with the biology and phytochemistry.
Active components with their properties: Aloe vera contains 75 potentially active constituents: vitamins, enzymes, minerals, sugars, lignin, saponins, salicylic acids, and amino acids.
- Vitamins: A (beta-carotene), C, and E, which are antioxidants. Also contains vitamin B12, folic acid, and choline. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals.
- Enzymes: aliiase, alkaline phosphatase, amylase, bradykinase, carboxypeptidase, catalase, cellulase, lipase, and peroxidase. Bradykinase helps to reduce excessive inflammation when applied to the skin topically, while others help in the breakdown of sugars and fats.
- Minerals: calcium, chromium, copper, selenium, magnesium, manganese, potassium, sodium, and zinc. These are essential for the proper functioning of various enzyme systems in different metabolic pathways and a few are antioxidants.
- Sugars: monosaccharides (glucose and fructose) and polysaccharides (glucomannans/polymannose). (1) These are derived from the mucilage layer of the plant and are known as mucopolysaccharides. A glycoprotein with antiallergic properties called alprogen and novel anti-inflammatory compound C-glucosyl chromone have also been isolated from Aloe vera gel.
- Anthraquinones: twelve of these phenolic compounds—traditionally known as laxatives. Aloin and emodin act as analgesics, antibacterials, and antivirals.
- Fatty acids: plant steroids cholesterol, campesterol, β-sisosterol, and lupeol. All these have anti-inflammatory action and lupeol also possesses antiseptic and analgesic properties.
- Hormones: Auxins and gibberellins help in wound healing and have anti-inflammatory action.
- Others: twenty of the twenty-two human required amino acids and seven of the eight essential amino acids. Aloe also contains salicylic acid (from which aspirin originated), which possesses anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Lignin, an inert substance, when included in topical preparations, enhances penetrative effect of the other ingredients into the skin. Saponins are the soapy substances that form about 3% of the gel and have cleansing and antiseptic properties. (2)
Amazing Health Benefits
Aloe vera has been used topically and internally back to ancient Egypt to treat:
- Bacterial and fungal skin infections
- Chronic leg wounds
- Parasitic infections
- Seborrheic dermatitis
- Genital herpes
- Skin burns
In modern times, it’s been found effective for:
- Type 2 diabetes (3)
- HIV infection
- Cancer prevention
- Ulcerative colitis
- Pressure ulcers
- Radiation dermatitis (4)
Practical topical uses of aloe vera include:
- Relief from insect bites
- Hair conditioner (also prevents hair loss)
- Shaving gel
- Gingivitis and periodontal disease (5, 6)
The nutrition of aloe is not to be overlooked or underestimated.
Aloe Vera Heals From The Inside Out.
- Antioxidants prevent the proliferation of free radicals in the body, which we know can lead to mild to serious illness.
- The amino acids in aloe vera juice, along with vitamins and minerals, are detoxifying.
- The complex sugars in aloe support the immune system: when ingested, they slow down metabolism of simple sugars and promote the proliferation of healthy intestinal bacteria. Click here for some refreshing summer beverages with aloe.
“It is in the boosting of the immune system’s response to antigens (foreign elements in the body) that Aloe vera has shown the most promise in treating cancer. Although no one is yet proposing that Aloe vera is a cure for cancer, it is clear from research conducted throughout the world over the past thirty years that Aloe vera and, in particular, certain specific substances in the plant – have very dramatic and impressive anti-cancer effects. Aloe vera has been demonstrated to enhance the immune system’s response to cancer, promote the growth of new and healthy cells, and reduce the overall viral load within the body thereby revitalizing the body in its fight against the cancer.” (7)
- 8 Aches and Pains That May be Indicative of a Serious Health Problem
From time to time, it is completely normal to experience an ache or pain and you should not let it …
- Vitamin B17 May Treat Cancer But Is Illegal In The U.S.!
Ever hear of vitamin B17? Probably not. It’s found in nuts, berries, leafy greens, sprouts, tubers, and in abundance in …
- 10 Reasons Why You’re Not Losing Weight
Hit a plateau? Check out these ten reasons for why you’re not losing that weight, and tips to get back …
- 27-Year-Old Man Credits This Special Diet For Surviving Stage-4 Brain Cancer
There has been a ton of media and attention given to the Paleo Diet in the last year or so. …
- This is What Happens to Your Body When You Get Angry
Anger is a conundrum of complexities that affect each and every person differently. Are you a road-rager? A passive aggressive? …
- Chronic Stress Increases Your Risk For Obesity and Diabetes. Here’s What You Need to Know…
It’s no secret that environmental and lifestyle factors like diet and exercise can have a huge impact on your health, …
- These Pills Are Lifesaving, But You’re Going To Gag When You See What’s In Them.
Diarrhea is something that can happen to anyone. However, getting diarrhea due to clostridium difficile (CDI) a type of bacterial infection can …
- Scientists Examine Brain Cells While Healing Intention Is Directed Towards Them – Here’s What Happened
Spiritual healing practices like Reiki and Johrei are often relegated to the realm of pseudoscience, which is why it’s so …
- 15 Reasons Why You NEED To Make Ginger Syrup And How To Use It Every Day (With Recipe!)
Ginger is probably one of the most widely used culinary spices in the world. It brings life to so many …
- Make This Powerful Anti-Inflammatory Drink To Detox Your Body
The human body is bombarded with toxins every single day. It is in the air at work and the yard …
- U.S. Bill HR4432 Would Pre-empt States’ Regulations on GMO Labeling
Last year, a bill was introduced in Congress to override individual states’ requirements for labeling food that contains genetically-modified organisms …
- 85-Year-Old Grandma Has Been Living Hunched Over For Decades…But Then She Starts Doing Yoga!
Mobility is something we often take for granted while we’re young. But for 85-year-old Anna Pesce, mobility was a thing …
- The 8 Most Effective Nighttime Drinks For Quick Liver Detoxing and Fat Burning
Similar to biorhythms that dominate your physical, emotional and intellectual state, Traditional Chinese Medicine believes that your body goes through …
- 12 Most Common Toxins Found In Personal Care Products
The skin is your largest organ, what you put on it is absorbed into your bloodstream. The average woman in the …
- Here’s Everything You Need To Know This Summer About Removing And Preventing Tick Bites
As summer comes and the weather gets warmer, it’s hard to resist the great outdoors. While we might feel safe …