Can The Great Pumpkin cure male pattern baldness? A new Korean study indicates that this might very well be true.
From a group of seventy-six men, some were given 400 milligrams of pumpkin seed oil every day for twenty-four weeks and the rest a placebo.
Hair thickness didn’t change but at the end of the trial, those men who had taken the pumpkin seed oil experienced a forty percent increase in the number of hairs on their heads.
This finding gives hope to the seventy percent of men who experience hair loss as they get older, especially those over fifty years old.
While pumpkin seeds pack a great deal of nutrition in a very small package, the researchers believe it is 5-alpha-reductase inhibition that resulted in hair growth.
5-alpha-reductase is an enzyme that is responsible for regulating testosterone in men; there are two types, one of which is responsible for male pattern baldness. By inhibiting this enzyme, the skin on the scalp is no longer impeded from producing hair.
Baldness medications can cause problems
Many men use pharmaceuticals to treat androgenetic alopecia (male pattern baldness); these can have serious side effects such as decreased libido, itching of the scalp, and erectile dysfunction. Pumpkin seed oil has no adverse effects.
This is not the first therapeutic use of pumpkin seeds and their oil; other studies have shown the seeds to have hypoglycemic properties, which has implications for regulating diabetes, and improvement of enlarged prostate; the oil extract to treat urinary disorders (over-active bladder) and arresting the growth of breast cancer cells.
Your best bet when eating pumpkin seeds (or any other food, for that matter) is to eat organic. For optimal nutrition, eat the shell with the seed. If you roast your own, do so in a low oven for less than twenty minutes–after that, the fats and nutrients start to break down.
Back to the hair
There are other things you can do to stimulate hair growth if you’re one of the many that are losing or have lost their hair. Herbs, foods, and topical treatments with essential oils can stimulate hair follicles and provide the necessary nutrients to get those slackers productive again. Add a daily dose pumpkin seed oil and you may have to start visiting the barber more often.
And now you have another use for that Halloween pumpkin.
- How To Do a 3-Day Sugar Detox to ACCELERATE Fat Loss And Improve Your Mood!
Everybody gets a sweet tooth every once in a while, but it’s easy for these cravings to develop into full-blown …
- The World’s #1 Food For Heart Attack, Hypertension, Stroke And Cholesterol
Dates aren’t the most attractive fruit, but they certainly are sweet and nutritious. Studies show that this amazing fruit has …
- Top 6 Health Benefits of Magnesium
You probably already know a lot about the other vitamins and minerals that are crucial to your overall optimal health, …
- Make Turmeric-Tomato-Black Pepper Soup In 15 Minutes To Fight Cancer, Inflammation and More
A bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich are true tokens of childhood. Although it may seem like …
- Top 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods You Can Eat Every Day
The links between chronic inflammation and increased risk of diseases like cancer are well documented – as one study puts …
- How To Make Chocolate Cake With Avocado Instead Of Eggs And Butter
If you’re a real bonafide health nut, then chances are that you always have a few avocados in your kitchen. …
- Pineapple And Turmeric Drink Reverses Cancer-Causing Inflammation And Even Beats The Common Cold!
Pineapple, turmeric, ginger and lemon all have two things in common. They’re all ingredients that have been shown to have …
- This Drink Will Burn Stomach Fat 4X Faster, Prevent Cancer, Improve Energy And Remove Toxins
Most tea can be found either in tea bag or loose leaf form. Occasionally, it can also be fermented and …
- Do Not Use Apple Cider Vinegar If You’re On Any Of These Medications
Nothing exists in a vacuum. Our bodies are complex organisms that are constantly moving, with chemicals acting and interacting. Sometimes …
- 7 Day Alkaline Diet Plan to Fight Inflammation and Disease
Although the alkaline diet may seem like the latest celebrity craze, you shouldn’t dismiss it so quickly. Forget how you …
- Top 10 Plant-Based Protein Foods You Should Be Eating
Proteins (comprised of a variety of twenty amino acids) provide cell structure and serve as neurotransmitters between cells. There’s protein …
- How Taking Turmeric Helps Your Body Block Fat and Your Liver Remove Toxins as Fast as Possible
Turmeric, “the golden spice”, is a staple in India and surrounding regions. As of late, it’s becoming increasingly popular in …
- The First U.S. School District to Begin Serving Only Organic, GMO-Free Meals
Hail to the trailblazers! No one would argue the importance of nutrition, especially for children. As their bodies develop, they …
- Soak Chia Seeds To Supercharge Your Metabolism, Burn Fat And Fight Inflammation
You may have heard about chia pets, the adorable children’s toy made from sprouted seeds. These beloved toys are actually …
- 92 Alkaline Foods That Fight Cancer, Inflammation, Diabetes and Heart Disease
Human life, just like all life on earth, depends on appropriate pH levels in and around living organisms and cells. …