Can The Great Pumpkin cure male pattern baldness? A new Korean study indicates that this might very well be true.
From a group of seventy-six men, some were given 400 milligrams of pumpkin seed oil every day for twenty-four weeks and the rest a placebo.
Hair thickness didn’t change but at the end of the trial, those men who had taken the pumpkin seed oil experienced a forty percent increase in the number of hairs on their heads.
This finding gives hope to the seventy percent of men who experience hair loss as they get older, especially those over fifty years old.
While pumpkin seeds pack a great deal of nutrition in a very small package, the researchers believe it is 5-alpha-reductase inhibition that resulted in hair growth.
5-alpha-reductase is an enzyme that is responsible for regulating testosterone in men; there are two types, one of which is responsible for male pattern baldness. By inhibiting this enzyme, the skin on the scalp is no longer impeded from producing hair.
Baldness medications can cause problems
Many men use pharmaceuticals to treat androgenetic alopecia (male pattern baldness); these can have serious side effects such as decreased libido, itching of the scalp, and erectile dysfunction. Pumpkin seed oil has no adverse effects.
This is not the first therapeutic use of pumpkin seeds and their oil; other studies have shown the seeds to have hypoglycemic properties, which has implications for regulating diabetes, and improvement of enlarged prostate; the oil extract to treat urinary disorders (over-active bladder) and arresting the growth of breast cancer cells.
Your best bet when eating pumpkin seeds (or any other food, for that matter) is to eat organic. For optimal nutrition, eat the shell with the seed. If you roast your own, do so in a low oven for less than twenty minutes–after that, the fats and nutrients start to break down.
Back to the hair
There are other things you can do to stimulate hair growth if you’re one of the many that are losing or have lost their hair. Herbs, foods, and topical treatments with essential oils can stimulate hair follicles and provide the necessary nutrients to get those slackers productive again. Add a daily dose pumpkin seed oil and you may have to start visiting the barber more often.
And now you have another use for that Halloween pumpkin.
- Surprising Health Benefits of Purple Potatoes
Most of us are used to seeing and eating the typical white or yellow fleshed potatoes. You may even eat …
- Moist and Chocolatey Zucchini Loaf Recipe with Apple Cider Vinegar and Maple Syrup
Eating baked goods satisfies a craving that no other food does: something sweet to accompany your coffee or provide the …
- This Fermented Tea Helps You Drop Pounds, Cholesterol Points and Even Manage Blood Sugar Levels
Tea is a common drink in many cultures, consumed socially, privately, as part of rituals, or for its medicinal properties. …
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- If Animals Won’t Eat Genetically Modified Corn, Why Do We?
Okay, let’s be real – most of us don’t think about what’s actually on our dinner plates. We may check …
- Make This Delicious And Easy Vegan Whipped Cream Recipe Using ONLY 3 Ingredients
If you’re lactose intolerant or simply prefer vegan recipes, you’ll love this! This vegan whipped cream is unlike anything you’ve …
- This Mouthwatering Egg Recipe is Perfect for Lazy Mornings
They say breakfast, your first meal of the day, is the most important one. But it’s also the most often skipped. …
- Eating More Fermented Foods Will Improve Your Mood, Metabolism And Immune System
It’s not difficult to get into a rut with food. As we rush about in our busy lives, many times …
- The Misunderstood Benefits of Bananas
Original article written by Natasha Longo, comments by Daily Health Post. The misinformation about bananas on the internet is fairly …
- 7 Meatless Sources of Protein To Satisfy Your Muscles And Keep Your Gut Happy
Many vegans and vegetarians are all too familiar with the question: “But where do you get your protein?!” There are …
- Top 6 Probiotic Foods You Are Probably Not Eating
In the last few decades, there has been a lot of interest in probiotic supplements and foods, thanks to studies suggesting that …
- The Simple Key to Avoid Overeating
Many people who have struggled with losing or maintaining their weight all agree that overeating is the downfall of any …
- How Many Meals Should You Eat Per Day?
Ah, the age-old question of healthy eating. Some say stick to three meals a day, with no snacking. Others say …
- A Natural Herb To Curb Sugar Cravings (+ 8 Other Tips For Quitting Sugar!)
There’s no denying it: desserts are pleasurable to eat. They taste good on the tongue and start a chemical reaction in …
- How Eating Broccoli 3X a Week Fights Liver Disease And Cancer (Here’s The BEST Way To Eat It!)
Cancer and liver disease incidence has tripled since 1980; with rates from 2003 to 2012 increasing 2.7% per year. Cancer …