According to the Mayo Clinic, high blood pressure is a common condition in which the long-term force of the blood against your artery walls is high enough that it may eventually cause health problems, such as heart disease (1).
The more blood your heart pumps and the narrower your arteries, the higher your blood pressure. The condition can easily go undetected and contribute towards heart disease and stroke.
In the United States alone, 70 million adults suffer from the condition. This is equal to roughly 40% of adults over the age of 25 (2).
Factors like stress, poor diet, and physical inactivity can increase your risk of developing high blood pressure. The condition is also linked to high cholesterol.
Did you know that foods like cucumber and garlic salad can help you in a highly beneficial way?
Cucumbers are full of water, fiber, potassium, and magnesium (3).
Potassium helps balance the amount of sodium in your cells, which can contribute towards atherosclerosis (4).
On the other hand, fiber regulates blood pressure and also helps reduce cholesterol, prevent type 2 diabetes, and boosts weight loss (5,6).
Raw garlic is traditionally used to control high blood pressure, low blood pressure, high cholesterol, inherited high cholesterol, coronary heart disease, heart attack, reduced blood flow due to narrowed arteries, and atherosclerosis (7).
There is evidence that allicin, the active compound in garlic may use the same mechanism as blood pressure drugs called ACE inhibitors to lower blood pressure. It’s believed that garlic prevents the creation of
angiotensin II, a hormone, and helps relax blood vessels (8).
Garlic also helps control cholesterol.
Cucumber Garlic Salad
Try going on a cucumber and garlic salad diet. Make it every day to improve your cardiovascular health.
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cucumber
- A few spoonfuls of water
- ½ -1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Peel the garlic and crush it with the side of your knife.
- Set aside.
- Wash the cucumber and cut it into small pieces.
- Add the cucumber to a large glass bowl.
- Mince the garlic and add to the mixture.
- Add the vinegar and water and adjust if necessary.
- Garnish with mint leaves and serve.
- Natural Home Remedy For A Sore Throat
Contrary to what mainstream media tends to teach, experiencing a cold or the flu periodically can actually be helpful to …
- 8 Natural Ways To Prevent Bloating
Men and women alike can suffer from the uncomfortable side effects of bloating, from feeling heavy and sluggish to not …
- Easy And Effective Yoga Stretches For Sciatic Nerve Pain Relief
If you’ve ever had numbness, pain and weakness starting in your lower back and traveling down the sciatic nerve in …
- 20 Natural Migraine Remedies That Really Work
A migraine is more than a headache; it is a painful, debilitating experience. Most people who suffer migraine headaches get …
- Magnesium Deficiencies Are Killing Us…Here’s What To Do About It
Magnesium is a mineral that’s integral to almost every metabolic function in the body. As one of the electrolyte minerals …
- 8 Powerful Essential Oils To Help Relieve Migraines (And How To Use Them)
If you are like the majority of the population, you have experienced a headache at some point. Luckily you can …
- Panic Attacks And Anxiety Linked To Low Vitamin B6 And Iron levels
Anxiety disorders are the most common form of mental illness, affecting 18% of the American population alone. They develop as …
- Got Knee Pain? Try This Cinnamon-Pineapple Smoothie To Nourish Your Joints And Fight Inflammation
Your knees keep you mobile and strong throughout your life. They’re also one of the first areas of your body …
- 12 Ways to Re-boot Your Liver
The liver is a remarkable, adaptable, and particularly resilient organ. We hammer it with not-so-healthy foods, medications, and lifestyle choices …
- The Smell of Sleep: How to Use Aromatherapy At Bedtime
Although the idea of using aromatherapy might seem a little off base, research has started to support the concept in …
- She Turned 2 Simple Ingredients Into a Cure For Cancer, Then The Government Shut Her Down
When you think of cancer, cottage cheese is probably not the first thought that comes to mind. But the word …
- High Intensity Endurance Workouts Could Damage Your Heart
Is your exercise routine causing serious damage to your heart? A recent article in The New York Times shed light …
- 6 Natural Foods That Boost Brain Power
Want to get smarter, think faster, and remember where you left your glasses? It turns out that multiple foods can …
- Colon Cancer Survivors Are 42% Less Likely To Die If They Eat Well And Exercise (No Surprise There!)
Eating healthy and exercising isn’t always the easiest thing to do when you’ve survived cancer. Yet it may hold the …
- Cancer Diagnosis Spurs 90-Year-Old Traveler To Take The Trip Of A Lifetime
Guts, grace, dignity, and humor—that’s how we all want to be remembered for after this life. Here’s the story of …