Watermelon gets a bad rap as being a food relatively low in nutrients; most people assume it’s mostly sugar and water, but it actually has many potential health benefits, including asthma prevention, blood pressure regulation, and easing muscle soreness after particularly harsh workout sessions.
But one component of the watermelon that is often overlooked is the seed, which has its own nutritional content and health benefits as well.
Instead of spitting out the seeds, next time you enjoy a watermelon snack, consider saving them instead!
Watermelon seeds are rich in protein, which has led to research on incorporating watermelon seeds into the diets of people in developing countries(1), who may not have access to more traditional sources of protein. An early report on the dietary use of watermelon seeds in India suggested that watermelon seeds might have cleansing properties due to their nature as a diuretic(2); more recent research confirms that in large enough amounts, watermelon seeds can have a diuretic effect, which can help with weight management as well as kidney and bladder health(3).
Mild diuretics like watermelon seeds are often used in cleanse diets, such as the lemonade cleanse diet made famous by performing artist Beyonce.
Watermelon seeds can be baked with salt for a protein-rich and tasty snack, which has a similar flavor and consistency to pumpkin seeds, or prepared in a tea to maximize its diuretic effects.
How To Make Watermelon Seed Tea
- 30-40 watermelon seeds, fresh or dried
- Crush 4 tablespoons of fresh watermelon seeds using a mortar and pestle, or grind them up in a food processor.
- Cook for 10 minutes in two litres of water over high heat.
- Drink the entire two litres of tea over a period of two days for full effect.
This tea is especially good for those with digestive issues, or those who are prone to urinary tract infections. So instead of opting for seedless watermelons – which are less flavourful than watermelons with seeds and are part of a relatively new strain of watermelon mass-produced for consumers – or spitting out the seeds and throwing them away, the next time you eat watermelon, consider saving the seeds to roast or brew in a tea. Your body will ultimately thank you for providing it with such a nutritious snack or beverage.
- How To Do a 3-Day Sugar Detox to ACCELERATE Fat Loss And Improve Your Mood!
Everybody gets a sweet tooth every once in a while, but it’s easy for these cravings to develop into full-blown …
- The World’s #1 Food For Heart Attack, Hypertension, Stroke And Cholesterol
Dates aren’t the most attractive fruit, but they certainly are sweet and nutritious. Studies show that this amazing fruit has …
- Top 6 Health Benefits of Magnesium
You probably already know a lot about the other vitamins and minerals that are crucial to your overall optimal health, …
- Make Turmeric-Tomato-Black Pepper Soup In 15 Minutes To Fight Cancer, Inflammation and More
A bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich are true tokens of childhood. Although it may seem like …
- Top 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods You Can Eat Every Day
The links between chronic inflammation and increased risk of diseases like cancer are well documented – as one study puts …
- How To Make Chocolate Cake With Avocado Instead Of Eggs And Butter
If you’re a real bonafide health nut, then chances are that you always have a few avocados in your kitchen. …
- Pineapple And Turmeric Drink Reverses Cancer-Causing Inflammation And Even Beats The Common Cold!
Pineapple, turmeric, ginger and lemon all have two things in common. They’re all ingredients that have been shown to have …
- This Drink Will Burn Stomach Fat 4X Faster, Prevent Cancer, Improve Energy And Remove Toxins
Most tea can be found either in tea bag or loose leaf form. Occasionally, it can also be fermented and …
- Do Not Use Apple Cider Vinegar If You’re On Any Of These Medications
Nothing exists in a vacuum. Our bodies are complex organisms that are constantly moving, with chemicals acting and interacting. Sometimes …
- 7 Day Alkaline Diet Plan to Fight Inflammation and Disease
Although the alkaline diet may seem like the latest celebrity craze, you shouldn’t dismiss it so quickly. Forget how you …
- Top 10 Plant-Based Protein Foods You Should Be Eating
Proteins (comprised of a variety of twenty amino acids) provide cell structure and serve as neurotransmitters between cells. There’s protein …
- How Taking Turmeric Helps Your Body Block Fat and Your Liver Remove Toxins as Fast as Possible
Turmeric, “the golden spice”, is a staple in India and surrounding regions. As of late, it’s becoming increasingly popular in …
- The First U.S. School District to Begin Serving Only Organic, GMO-Free Meals
Hail to the trailblazers! No one would argue the importance of nutrition, especially for children. As their bodies develop, they …
- Soak Chia Seeds To Supercharge Your Metabolism, Burn Fat And Fight Inflammation
You may have heard about chia pets, the adorable children’s toy made from sprouted seeds. These beloved toys are actually …
- 92 Alkaline Foods That Fight Cancer, Inflammation, Diabetes and Heart Disease
Human life, just like all life on earth, depends on appropriate pH levels in and around living organisms and cells. …