Watermelon gets a bad rap as being a food relatively low in nutrients; most people assume it’s mostly sugar and water, but it actually has many potential health benefits, including asthma prevention, blood pressure regulation, and easing muscle soreness after particularly harsh workout sessions.
But one component of the watermelon that is often overlooked is the seed, which has its own nutritional content and health benefits as well.
Instead of spitting out the seeds, next time you enjoy a watermelon snack, consider saving them instead!
Watermelon seeds are rich in protein, which has led to research on incorporating watermelon seeds into the diets of people in developing countries(1), who may not have access to more traditional sources of protein. An early report on the dietary use of watermelon seeds in India suggested that watermelon seeds might have cleansing properties due to their nature as a diuretic(2); more recent research confirms that in large enough amounts, watermelon seeds can have a diuretic effect, which can help with weight management as well as kidney and bladder health(3).
Mild diuretics like watermelon seeds are often used in cleanse diets, such as the lemonade cleanse diet made famous by performing artist Beyonce.
Watermelon seeds can be baked with salt for a protein-rich and tasty snack, which has a similar flavor and consistency to pumpkin seeds, or prepared in a tea to maximize its diuretic effects.
How To Make Watermelon Seed Tea
- 30-40 watermelon seeds, fresh or dried
- Crush 4 tablespoons of fresh watermelon seeds using a mortar and pestle, or grind them up in a food processor.
- Cook for 10 minutes in two litres of water over high heat.
- Drink the entire two litres of tea over a period of two days for full effect.
This tea is especially good for those with digestive issues, or those who are prone to urinary tract infections. So instead of opting for seedless watermelons – which are less flavourful than watermelons with seeds and are part of a relatively new strain of watermelon mass-produced for consumers – or spitting out the seeds and throwing them away, the next time you eat watermelon, consider saving the seeds to roast or brew in a tea. Your body will ultimately thank you for providing it with such a nutritious snack or beverage.
- Raw Chocolate Smoothie Recipe with Avocado, Almond Milk, Banana and Raw Honey
Oh, my. This looks so incredibly delicious that we may have to put it at the top of the “gotta …
- Food Companies Are Doing Everything To Keep This One New Line Off of Nutrition Labels
This should be interesting. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has proposed a new regulation requiring a new line …
- Is Eating Meat a Healthy Choice?
One of the biggest questions for many individuals today as they attempt to choose a dietary plan is whether or …
- Can the Paleo Diet Improve Your Health?
When our caveman ancestors roamed the earth thousands and thousands of years ago during the Paleolithic era, they relied on …
- Concerning Study: Commonly Used Sweetener is More Toxic than Sugar and Reduces Lifespan
It’s used in almost everything you eat. If you want to avoid it, only eat REAL food and skip the processed junk. The …
- Powerful Compound Found in Small Seeds is 100% Effective in ‘Preventing Cancer from Spreading’
Would you ever think that staple condiments used at sushi bars could help treat bladder cancer? While seaweed is excellent at …
- 7 Foods To Eat For an Exceptional Immune System
If you’ve been feeling weak lately and have noticed that you’re getting sick a lot with minor colds and flus, you …
- Top 8 Healing Herbs Just for Women
Many women go through sleeplessness, monthly menstrual aches, and a variety of other bothersome issues. As a result, it is …
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Two Natural Aphrodisiacs To Spice Up Your Love Life
Oysters, chocolate, honey, and even garlic all have one thing in common – they’ve been touted time and again as …
- Cannabis: Drink Your Medicine! A Poor Man’s Guide to Juicing
There are currently two camps on treating cancer with cannabis: the hot process created by Canadian Rick Simpson some 13 …
- 5 Nutrition Rules You Never Knew About but Should
In the quest to perfect your physical health while also maintaining a healthy weight, it often seems that there are …
- 6 Surprising Facts You Need to Know Before Drinking This Popular Type of Tea
Does green tea have caffeine? The answer is yes. But before you snap your fingers and opt for a different …
- Watch This Video & You’ll Never Eat McDonald’s French Fries Again
There has been a lot of discussion about the negative impact fast food has on our weight, and now there’s …
- 6 GMO Loaded Brands You Should Stop Buying and Here’s Why.
Ever wonder which companies you should totally avoid, whether it’s because they create low-quality food or because they infringe on …