With so many commercially available toothpastes on the market, why make your own? Aside from the satisfaction of knowing exactly what’s in it, is there really an advantage to homemade toothpaste over store-bought toothpaste?
According to a number of wellness advocates, there is, and their points regarding store-bought toothpaste are not insignificant.
For starters, most store-bought toothpaste contains fluoride, which has been shown to have negative effects on the thyroid gland when used over a long period of time (1).
In addition, many commercial toothpastes contain agents such as sulfates and glycerin which some claim prevent teeth from getting the minerals they need to stay healthy and strong. Certain sulfates, such as sodium laurel sulfate, can aggravate sensitive gums.
This toothpaste recipe contains the ingredients you need to promote healthy, strong teeth, without any potentially toxic or non-health-promoting components.
Homemade Remineralizing Toothpaste Recipe
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 4 teaspoons of bentonite clay
- 3 tablespoons of calcium magnesium powder
- 20 drops trace minerals
- Essential oils like peppermint for flavor
Mix all the powdered ingredients together in a bowl. Melt the coconut oil and add it one tablespoon at a time, stirring until you get the desired consistency. Then add the bentonite clay, calcium magnesium powder, trace minerals and essential oils. Store in a small container. If you notice your toothpaste drying out, you can re-moisturize it by adding a small amount of water.
How It Works
Baking soda is a common ingredient in most toothpastes and is the agent that actually gets your teeth clean. Abrasive without being destructive to the enamel of your teeth, baking soda is essential in any homemade toothpaste recipe.
Whether you get it from tablets or capsules, calcium magnesium powder is an important part of this recipe. Calcium is a mineral that helps your teeth develop and stay strong, with healthy enamel, and magnesium is critical for calcium to be properly absorbed (2).
Trace minerals help build bone mass, which makes your teeth stronger and healthier (3). They also contain minerals that can be easily absorbed by your teeth since this recipe contains no coating agents that could prevent your teeth from remineralizing – that is to say, absorbing important minerals contained in this toothpaste.
Bentonite clay binds to and draws out impurities, helping to not only detox the mouth but also whiten teeth by removing stains. Bentonite clay is also high in calcium, magnesium, and silica which help remineralize teeth.
- Ginger, Honey and Cinnamon Mixture to Reverse Inflammation, Colds, Flu, Cramps, Diabetes And Cancer
Tea is often the first thing we reach for when we aren’t feeling well. While green tea has many benefits, …
- Drink This Probiotic-Rich Lemonade To Boost Your Immune System And Improve Gut Health
There’s no drink more appropriate on a warm sunny day than a tall glass of lemonade, especially when citrus fruits …
- 27 Turmeric Recipes That Will Spice Up Your Life
Turmeric is the superfood that makes our cooking dazzle. But it does ever so much more than simply flavor and color our food. Cooking …
- Chocolate Avocado Cookies FILLED With Cancer-Fighting, Waistline-Busting Ingredients
Most cookies are made up of wheat and sugar, two of the most harmful foods on the market. Whether they’re …
- 3 Amazing Tonics To Help You Detox And Recover From Chemotherapy
Detoxing is an important part of recovery from any illness, but it’s especially important when the treatment for that illness …
- 5 Unexpected Ways to Use Avocados
The avocado, which is actually a fruit, not a vegetable, boasts a wide array of health benefits. Rich in fiber, …
- 5 Detox ‘Shots’ To Alkalize Your Body First Thing In The Morning
Ever wonder why mornings are so rough? Your body’s ph levels may be responsible. While you sleep, your body is …
- This Ravioli Recipe Combines 2 Superfoods For a Supercharged Meal Loaded With Antioxidants
The simplicity of this recipe may not be as obvious as it is; making your own pasta can sound daunting, …
- The Fat-Burning Coconut Cookies you Can Eat for Breakfast to Boost Your Metabolism
There are few things more satisfying than a good-for-you cookie. As health-conscious people, we forego junk food and added sugars …
- 5 Mouth-Watering Apple Recipes
No need to over-complicate things when searching for that healthy snack in the supermarket when an apple can provide you …
- Make Turmeric-Tomato-Black Pepper Soup In 15 Minutes To Fight Cancer, Inflammation and More
A bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich are true tokens of childhood. Although it may seem like …
- 27 Must-Try Avocado Recipes for You and Your Family
Avocados are a health nut’s favorite fruit, and rightly so. Packed with nutrients, delicious fats, filling fiber, and creamy goodness, …
- How to Make Medicinal Pickled Turmeric
This recipe for pickled turmeric promises to reduce inflammation & promote wellness. But before we begin, let’s take a quick …
- Anti-inflammatory Honey Turmeric Tonic Recipe And 17 Other Master Tonics
If you often find yourself tired or sick, it may be time to start integrating a master tonic or two …
- It Was Hard To Snack Healthy Until I Tried These 16 Delicious Metabolism-Boosting Ideas
The foods you eat between meals are just as important. Snack on the wrong foods and your health will suffer. …