Ah, ketchup. It’s the favorite condiment of toddlers and kids everywhere for hot dogs, chicken nugget, and french fries. But have you read the labels on the store-bought ketchup?
Most ketchup brands you find in the grocery stores contain a lot of sugar (or worse high fructose corn syrup) and other additives and preservatives.
Here’s the ingredients list of a popular brand of ketchup you’ll find in grocery stores and nearly every restaurant: Tomato concentrate from red ripe tomatoes, distilled vinegar, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, salt, spice, onion powder, natural flavoring.
So what’s wrong with these ingredients?
We all know that high fructose corn syrup has been linked to a number of health issues. But that’s not the only problem. The natural flavoring seems benign, but it could actually contain dozens of chemicals to constitute a natural-like flavor. Don’t be fooled with the “natural” label. There’s no industry regulation for what makes up a “natural” ingredient or food. Not to mention all of these ingredients are likely made with GMO ingredients and tainted with pesticides.
So the question becomes: Why would you want to eat it?
How to Make Homemade Ketchup
Homemade Ketchup is SO EASY to make – and this version doesn’t even require cooking, yet it contains beneficial probiotics (from whey or fresh sauerkraut juice) to help support a healthy digestive system. So now you can encourage the kids to eat their ketchup to get a daily dose of probiotics.
I love to serve this Homemade Ketchup with my Gluten-Free Tater Tots or even a side of Chicken Strips.
Tip: Get the kids involved in making ketchup. They’ll love to measure the ingredients and watch it sit on the counter to ferment. Plus, they’ll be more willing to try it and use it on their meals.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 7 oz. of homemade ketchup
This Homemade Ketchup can be stored in the refrigerator for a few months as the fermenting from the whey or vegetable brine helps to naturally preserve it.
If you decide to forgo the whey or brine, this Homemade Ketchup will last about 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
- 6 oz. can organic tomato paste
- 2-3 tbsp raw honey (dpends on taste)
- 1 tbsp raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp clove
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp liquid whey or vegetable brine (such as sauerkraut juice) – OPTIONAL to make it last longer
- Mix all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Combine well.
- Pour into a glass Mason jar (leave at least 1-2 inches from the top free for air). Seal tightly with a lid and let sit for 2-3 days at room temperature.
- Use as needed and store in the refrigerator.
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Ginger, Honey and Cinnamon Mixture to Reverse Inflammation, Colds, Flu, Cramps, Diabetes And Cancer
Tea is often the first thing we reach for when we aren’t feeling well. While green tea has many benefits, …
- 9 Amazing “No-Bread” Sandwich Ideas That Will Make You Drool
In recent years, many people have sworn off bread due to gluten intolerance or weight gain. So what is it like …
- Medicine in a Cup: This Ginger-Garlic Soup Fights the Cold, Flu and Sinus Infection
Soup is the ultimate food for the soul. When it comes to the cold and flu, staying hydrated and nourished …
- How to Make Lavender Lemonade to Get Rid of Headaches and Anxiety
Got a headache that just won’t go away? Many people find that traditional over-the-counter pain relief medication is ineffective in …
- Why You Should Start Drinking Ginger Tea And Here’s The Correct Way To Make It
There’s nothing better than a steaming cup of tea to start your day. While green tea has its benefits, why …
- Ginger Lemon Tea Recipe To Detox Your Body And Get Rid of Bloating
In today’s world, we face increasing amounts of chemicals than ever before. It’s present in our food, household products and even in the air (1). In addition …
- Drink This Fat-Burning Ginger And Coconut Oil Smoothie to ACCELERATE Weight Loss
Whether it’s getting warmer or colder, it seems like each change in season wakes up a ravenous hunger. This can …
- 5-Ingredient Anti-Inflammatory Sweet Potato Brownies With Almond Butter, Cocoa And Maple Syrup
However, most brownies are full of inflammatory ingredients like processed wheat and sugar. If you want a delicious treat that …
- Chocolate Avocado Cookies FILLED With Cancer-Fighting, Waistline-Busting Ingredients
Most cookies are made up of wheat and sugar, two of the most harmful foods on the market. Whether they’re …
- No-Flour Banana Pancakes Are Easy To Make And Rich In Potassium
Who doesn’t love pancakes? They’re sweet, fluffy and simply delicious! They can be combined with all sorts of fruits and …
- Dairy-free, Inflammation-BUSTING Chocolate Mousse Recipe With Avocado, Coconut Milk and Cacao
It can be hard to find desserts that satisfy your cravings without sacrificing your health. Most desserts contain high levels …
- See What Happens To Your Body When You Drink Parsley Tea with Lemon and Honey
Parsley is an herb that’s often used as garnish. You’ve probably noticed quite a few restaurants doing this. Yet, this medicinal plant …
- Heal Your Body From The Inside Out With These 8 Cancer-Fighting Soups
There’s nothing like a good soup to warm you up up from the inside out. Most homemade soups are actually …
- 3-ingredient Gluten-Free Bread To Effortlessly Keep You In Fat-Burning Mode All Day Long
One of the hardest things for celiacs and gluten-intolerant people to give up is bread. In fact, gluten is a …