There’s nothing like dry air to make your hair unmanageable and frizzy.
Although some people try to combat static and frizz through daily conditioning, store-bought products often weigh down hair and only offer a temporary solution.
And while you can buy conditioning treatments at your local drug store, hair products actually contain a multitude of harmful chemicals including cocamide diethanolamine (cocamide DEA), a modified coconut oil known to cause cancer. Some dyes, fragrance and preservatives in personal products can also dry out skin and cause hair loss.
No matter how well you take care of your hair day-to-day, it’s important to give it a deep conditioning treatment every once in awhile to bring it back to life.
DIY Hair Treatment
Use this treatment once a week for gorgeous hair. Since it needs to sit a while, apply before taking a bath or leave it in overnight for lush, flowing locks.
Organic extra-virgin coconut oil, which strengthens and moisturizes brittle hair to leave it healthy, silky, and long. Coconut oil nourishes your roots and hair shaft to repair and prevent damage as well as restore moisture (1,2).
Plus, this oil has antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial properties that prevent hair loss and its healthy fats fight inflammation and parasites like lice. It’s no wonder that it’s a staple of all-natural haircare. (3)
Organic castor oil has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties that fight hair loss and common scalp disorders like dandruff, eczema and psoriasis. It prevents and treats split ends by moisturizing your hair shaft and scalp and nourishes your roots to promote hair growth up to three to five times faster than your normal rate. You can even use it to thicken your eyebrows and eyelashes (4).
Organic Essential oils (optional) like rosemary promote blood flow to your roots and give your hair a lovely smell.
- Adjust the quantity of oils you will use to your hair length and texture in a ratio of 1:1. Wavy medium length typically needs about 1/2 cup of each.
- Melt the mixture in sunlight or over low heat in a medium saucepan.
- Once warm, remove from heat immediately and stir in a few drops of essential oils. If you’re suffering from hair loss, rosemary oil will do wonders.
- Slip on an old t-shirt and start massaging the oil into your roots.
- Then, comb it through your hair and saturate the tips.
- For best results, tie your hair into a top knot and wrap in plastic wrap to keep it from ruining your clothes.
- Follow up with a hot towel to help the treatment penetrate deep into your hair shaft.
- Leave it in for 30-60 minutes and wash & style as usual. If you’re using a natural shampoo, you may have to wash it 2-3 times to get all the oil out.
- Let your hair air-dry and enjoy your healthy locks!