Most people with curly hair wishes it was straight, and straight hair want it to be curly. As the saying goes: we always want what we can’t have.
Some people go to great lengths to change their hair, using chemicals and heating tools to keep their hair straight.
Unfortunately, these methods damage the hair, leading to more frizziness and even hair loss in long term.
What Causes Frizz?
Curly hair is caused by a normal and genetic trait that some people carry. However, a frizzy, dull and poofy mane may be a sign of damage or malnutrition.
Your hair can get dry because your scalp doesn’t make enough oil to moisturize it, or your strands lets moisture escape.
Hair has no natural lubrication. It relies on oils made from your scalp to keep your locks moisturized and looking lustrous. In order for your body to produce these oils, you need to be getting the proper nutrients.
Sometimes, the scalp doesn’t make enough oil, which causes your mane to be dry. (Likewise, roots in overdrive lead to an oily and greasy head.) Also, chemicals in hair-care products can take away your hair’s natural moisture and weaken the strands.
Since the roots are under your skin, dry scalp goes along with dry hair. Dry scalp peels and sheds, leading to dandruff flakes on your shoulders. (source)
Common causes of hair damage include:
- Blow drying too often — especially when you apply alcohol-based styling products first
- Using heated straighteners or curling irons, even high end products
- Exposing your hair to lots of sun, wind, or dry air
- Applying chemical treatments, including color dyes, perms, and relaxers
How To Make A Hair Straightening Mask
This mask helps smooth your locks and eliminate frizz by restoring healthy oils to your scalp and hair shafts.
- 1 Cup coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- The juice of 1 Lemon (about 4 tablespoon)
- 3 Tablespoon of organic cornstarch (you can also choose to use arrowroot powder)
- Gradually mix the corn starch with the lemon juice, adding a bit at a time so that the mixture is not lumpy.
- In a separate bowl, mix the olive oil and coconut milk together.
- Grab a large saucepan and combine both mixtures over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- When it reaches a similar consistency of cake batter, remove from heat.
- Let the mixture cool and store in a jar with a lid.
How to use:
- Apply on your hair for 1-2 hours wearing a shower cap and a hot towel.
- Wash, rinse & style as usual.
- Repeat weekly or twice-weekly for best results.
- Store the remaining mixture in the fridge to keep it longer.
The fewer products you use on your scalp, the healthier it’ll be!
- 13 Early Warning Signs of Lupus You Need to Know (And What To Do The Moment You See Them)
For many, lupus seems almost like a dream they’ll never experience. To 1.5 million Americans, the disease is very real and …
- A Deadly Union: Monsanto and Bayer’s Lethal Legacy
In a terrifying announcement, Monsanto has agreed to be sold to Bayer for $56.5 billion. In truth, the deal is …
- 5 Easy Ways To Free Yourself From Sugar Addiction
Okay, so maybe “easy” is the wrong word – sugar addiction is real and many people struggle to cut down …
- Top 3 Tips to Lower Your Risk of Breast Cancer
Many people consider cancer to be a scary possibility regardless of your lifestyle. Many people do all the “right” things …
- Why Restricting Your Eating Time Period To 8 Hours Will Transform Your Health And Fitness!
People will go to great lengths to lose a little weight. Losing weight and keeping it off isn’t about following …
- 5 Natural Gargle Remedies to Help Soothe the Pain
1. Sore Throat Gargle with Sage The Sage used in the following recipe is a classic gargle, but other herbs …
- 10 Signs You May Have an Ulcer
An ulcer is a painful sore in the stomach lining or at the opening of the small intestine. Ulcers happen …
- How To Cleanse Your Kidneys Almost Instantly Using This Natural Home Drink
Your kidneys are constantly filtering your blood, making sure that waste products exit your body from urine. When you live …
- 5 Ways Your Smartphone Is Hurting You
Finding life hard to bear without your smartphone attached to you 24/7? Well read on as what we have uncovered …
- 25 Indoor Plants That Can Filter Air Pollutants Out of Your Home And Improve Air Quality
We know that we depend on plants for the air we breathe. They breathe in carbon dioxide and breathe out …
- Top 10 Ways To Use Coconut Oil To Protect Your Hair And Skin From Harsh Cosmetic Products
Coconut Oil rocks on its own. It’s a serious “jack of all trades” that can easily be used for your hair …
- How To Add More Nutrients To Any Soil To Grow The Most Nutritious Fruits And Veggies Possible
In times past, not a lot of thought was given to the food we eat. We’d go to the grocery …
- Drink This Banana Cinnamon Tea For Better Sleep (It’s a Lot Safer Than Sleeping Pills!)
Sleep used to be so easy. As a child, you likely had no problem falling asleep at night. But that’s all changed. …
- The U.S. Lost One-third of All Honeybee Colonies Last Year…Here’s Why You Should Care!
Between April 2016 and April 2017, roughly 33% of honeybee colonies in the US died. Over the last decade, annual …
- How To Treat Sugar Induced Fatty Liver Disease Using Green Tea And Turmeric
Turmeric is one of the healthiest spices in the world. It’s most active compound, curcumin, has been shown to have …