Most people with curly hair wishes it was straight, and straight hair want it to be curly. As the saying goes: we always want what we can’t have.
Some people go to great lengths to change their hair, using chemicals and heating tools to keep their hair straight.
Unfortunately, these methods damage the hair, leading to more frizziness and even hair loss in long term.
What Causes Frizz?
Curly hair is caused by a normal and genetic trait that some people carry. However, a frizzy, dull and poofy mane may be a sign of damage or malnutrition.
Your hair can get dry because your scalp doesn’t make enough oil to moisturize it, or your strands lets moisture escape.
Hair has no natural lubrication. It relies on oils made from your scalp to keep your locks moisturized and looking lustrous. In order for your body to produce these oils, you need to be getting the proper nutrients.
Sometimes, the scalp doesn’t make enough oil, which causes your mane to be dry. (Likewise, roots in overdrive lead to an oily and greasy head.) Also, chemicals in hair-care products can take away your hair’s natural moisture and weaken the strands.
Since the roots are under your skin, dry scalp goes along with dry hair. Dry scalp peels and sheds, leading to dandruff flakes on your shoulders. (source)
Common causes of hair damage include:
- Blow drying too often — especially when you apply alcohol-based styling products first
- Using heated straighteners or curling irons, even high end products
- Exposing your hair to lots of sun, wind, or dry air
- Applying chemical treatments, including color dyes, perms, and relaxers
How To Make A Hair Straightening Mask
This mask helps smooth your locks and eliminate frizz by restoring healthy oils to your scalp and hair shafts.
- 1 Cup coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- The juice of 1 Lemon (about 4 tablespoon)
- 3 Tablespoon of organic cornstarch (you can also choose to use arrowroot powder)
- Gradually mix the corn starch with the lemon juice, adding a bit at a time so that the mixture is not lumpy.
- In a separate bowl, mix the olive oil and coconut milk together.
- Grab a large saucepan and combine both mixtures over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- When it reaches a similar consistency of cake batter, remove from heat.
- Let the mixture cool and store in a jar with a lid.
How to use:
- Apply on your hair for 1-2 hours wearing a shower cap and a hot towel.
- Wash, rinse & style as usual.
- Repeat weekly or twice-weekly for best results.
- Store the remaining mixture in the fridge to keep it longer.
The fewer products you use on your scalp, the healthier it’ll be!
- Drink This Banana Cinnamon Tea For Better Sleep (It’s a Lot Safer Than Sleeping Pills!)
Sleep used to be so easy. As a child, you likely had no problem falling asleep at night. But that’s all changed. …
- Man Diagnosed with Terminal Lung Cancer Heals Himself with Honey and Spices
Thirteen years ago, Croatian doctors told Ante Kresich that his lung cancer was beyond treatment and to get things in …
- Doctor Sells His Practice in New Jersey, Buys Organic Farm & Begins Treating Patients Himself
Let food be thy medicine has never seemed so appropriate. Following the natural food trend, New Jersey doctor Robert Weiss …
- The Healing Power of Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds and their oil have been used for centuries in for both cooking and medicinal needs. But many people …
- New Research Finds Cheeseburgers As Bad For You As Smoking
People who are considered ‘middle aged’, which is between the ages of 50-65 years old, that consume a high protein …
- Sniffing Rosemary Can Increase Memory by 75%
Some people go to great lengths to help themselves remember important tasks or information, whether it’s memory-training drills, memory-enhancing drugs …
- 4 Simple Home Remedies to Help Manage Acid Reflux That Don’t Require a Doctor’s Prescription
Acid reflux and it’s more serious cousin, GERD, affect many Americans, causing any number of symptoms, from a burning sensation …
- Victory! World’s Largest Spice Company To Go Organic And Non-GMO by 2016
Organic and non-GMO products have really taken over mainstream market trends. Last year, American spice giant McCormick announced that 80% …
- How To Treat Sugar Induced Fatty Liver Disease Using Green Tea And Turmeric
Turmeric is one of the healthiest spices in the world. It’s most active compound, curcumin, has been shown to have …
- Your Bloating Could Be Water Retention. Here Are 5 Tricks To Fix It!
Bloating can be painful, uncomfortable, and embarrassing. It’s no coincidence that people often compare being bloated to feeling like a …
- 12 Brands Of Bottled Water That Are Full Of Toxic Fluoride!
We have been brought up to believe that fluoride is not only good for us, but necessary. Dentists promote it …
- ‘Broken Promises of Genetically Modified Crops:’ Huge NY Times Investigation Exposes the Truth About GMOs, Monsanto’s Biggest Lies
Let’s face it, Monsanto has gotten away with crimes even the most hardened criminals would never even imagine doing. And …
- How To Use Tomatoes To Get Rid of Varicose Veins
As you age, your skin begins to change in ways you probably won’t enjoy. Whether it be liver spots wrinkles …
- 7 Easy Ways to Get Rid of Dandruff Naturally
Are you part of the nearly 20% of the U.S. population who suffers from dandruff? While having dandruff certainly is …
- How To Make Relaxing Magnesium Water To Get Rid of Headaches and Muscle Pain
Magnesium doesn’t get the attention it deserves. It’s a critical mineral for healthy cell function and is an active participant …