3. The Knee to Chest Stretch
How to Do Knee to Chest Exercises
- Lie on your back and bend the left knee.
- Use your hands to pull the knee into your chest grabbing onto your shin or hamstring. Keep your back on the ground as you do so. You should feel this in the hip and buttocks.
- For a deeper stretch, bring your nose towards your knees, keeping your shoulder loose.
- Hold the stretch for 5 to 30 seconds, repeat 2-3 times, and stretch 3 times a day.
- This stretch is both relaxing and therapeutic. Add it to your morning stretch routine to feel relief all day long.
4. The Spinal Twist Stretch
Spine Twist Stretch
- Lying on your side, extend your lower arm out at a 90-degree angle from your body.
- Take your top leg and cross it over your bottom leg, pulling it towards the floor with your bottom hand.
- Drop your head down, place your top hand on your rib cage.
- Breathe in, and pull on your ribs and twist your torso to the other side as you exhale.
- Come up to the original position as you inhale. Do this back-and-forth for 4-5 breaths.
- For your next breath, twist completely to the side, resting both shoulder blades to the ground. Hold for a few deep breaths.
- Hold this stretch for 30 seconds per leg or go longer if you’ve done some active stretching at the beginning.
- You might get a few satisfying back cracks out of this one!
5. The Piriformis Stretch
Supine Piriformis Stretch
- While lying on your back, bend both knees and place one ankle over the opposite leg, just above the knee.
- Raise the bottom leg off the floor toward your chest until you feel the pull in the pelvis.
- Hold for 5 seconds.
- Slowly release the lower leg back to the floor, straighten the top leg, and switch sides.
- You’ll feel this stretch in you lower back, buttocks, and the back of your thighs.
6. The Hip Flexors Stretch
Hip Flexor Stretch - Done Correctly
- Start in a kneeling lunge position, with your right knee in front of you, in line with your ankles and hips. Your left knee should be in line with your back and hips, with the left shin on the ground behind you.
- Squeeze your glutes to rotate your pelvis inward.
- Next, squeeze your abdominal muscles.
- Lastly, while keeping your glutes and abs activated shift your weight onto your front knee. Do not overstretch.
- Hold for a few breaths.
- Repeat with the other leg.
- Hold this stretch for 30 seconds, then switch legs and repeat.