2. Supine Lying Hamstring Stretch
- Hold this stretch for 30 seconds, repeating it with each leg.
- Start by sitting on your mat with both legs out in front of you.
- Place a rope or resistance band under the arch of one foot. Keep the opposite leg extended on the ground.
- Lean back so that the leg you’re stretching is at a 90-degree angle with the other leg on the ground. Breathe and keep the small of your back in contact with your mat.
- Point your toe or bend your knee slightly to explore the stretch a bit more.
- Hold for a few breaths, return to the starting position and repeat on the other side.
3. The Knee to Chest Stretch
- Lie on your back and bend the left knee.
- Use your hands to pull the knee into your chest grabbing onto your shin or hamstring. Keep your back on the ground as you do so. You should feel this in the hip and buttocks.
- For a deeper stretch, bring your nose towards your knees, keeping your shoulder loose.
- Hold the stretch for 5 to 30 seconds, repeat 2-3 times, and stretch 3 times a day.
- This stretch is both relaxing and therapeutic. Add it to your morning stretch routine to feel relief all day long.
4. The Spinal Twist Stretch
- Lying on your side, extend your lower arm out at a 90-degree angle from your body.
- Take your top leg and cross it over your bottom leg, pulling it towards the floor with your bottom hand.
- Drop your head down, place your top hand on your rib cage.
- Breathe in, and pull on your ribs and twist your torso to the other side as you exhale.
- Come up to the original position as you inhale. Do this back-and-forth for 4-5 breaths.
- For your next breath, twist completely to the side, resting both shoulder blades to the ground. Hold for a few deep breaths.
- Hold this stretch for 30 seconds per leg or go longer if you’ve done some active stretching at the beginning.
- You might get a few satisfying back cracks out of this one!