Tending a garden is one of the most rewarding hobbies to have. Plants can be affected by many variables which cause them to die with little opportunity to save them.
That’s why gardeners often rely on toxic pesticides, herbicides, fertilizer and anti-fungal treatments to make sure all their hard work isn’t wasted.
Well, mother nature has even better solutions. Here are 5 ways to use cinnamon in your garden. Always keep some on hand in your garden shed!
1. Protect Seedlings
It take a lot of dedication and care to get freshly planted seeds to sprout. Not only can small animals chew away at them as they grow, but so can fungi and bacteria.
Luckily, cinnamon has anti-bacteria and anti-fungal properties that protect your seedlings as they grow (1). It also wards of common pests that love to nibble on your hard work (2). Simply dust some cinnamon over your freshly planted seeds.
2. Fight Wild Mushrooms
Wild mushrooms aren’t just annoying, they can also bring harm to your children and pets. Many mushrooms that grow freely in your yard are actually poisonous if ingested (3). Others can cause the roots or leaves of your beloved plants to rot and die.
3. Rooting Hormone
One of the best ways to make sure your plants thrive is by making sure they set up strong roots. Some people rely on rooting hormones to speed up this process. Instead of buying chemical rotting hormones, apply cinnamon to the freshly cut stem you’re rooting (2).
4. Ant Deterrent
Ants can wreak havoc on your garden, feeding off of your plants and making their way into your home. To keep ants at bay, sprinkle cinnamon on your soil and around the entrances of your home.
5. Plant Wounds
Regular pruning and yard maintenance can sometimes lead to accidentally cutting the stems of leaves of your favorite plants.
Instead of feeling guilty, just sprinkle a little cinnamon on the wounds to promote healing and prevent further damage.
As you take care of your outdoor plants, don’t forget to care for your indoor ones! Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on top of the soil of your houseplants to keep mold, mildew and gnats at bay.
- 18 Medicinal Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender is the sweet smelling herb with blue-violet flowers that many of us will associate with our grandmothers and childhood. …
- 5 Dangers Associated With Drinking Alcohol You Don’t Know About But Should!
Sipping on a cocktail is an easy way to melt away the stresses of your day, but it comes with a hefty …
- The Scientific Power of Naps
Studies have found different benefits—and detriments—to a nap’s timing, duration and even effect on different people, depending on one’s age …
- How The Sugar Industry Paid Harvard Researchers to Say Fat (Not Sugar) Caused Heart Disease
As you might have noticed, sugar has now undergone the same criticism that fat and cholesterol once had. For over …
- Alkalize Your Body and Fight Disease With These 10 Healing Foods
Survival is a complex and wonderful thing. Your body is constantly working to achieve its ideal pH level, temperature, and …
- Warning: Never Go To Bed Wearing THIS On Your Wrist or You Could End Up In a Hospital For Surgery
A lot of women do this daily without a second thought. They wear their hair bands on their wrist. If nobody ever told you, …
- 8 Surprising Reasons Why Drinking Red Wine Can Actually Be Good For Your Overall Health
While too much of anything is inevitably bad for you, indulging in certain vices in moderation can actually have a …
- 6 Plants Other Than Cannabis That Are High in Cancer-Fighting Cannabinoids
The Western medical system is finally beginning to face the fact that marijuana is not a drug: it’s a medicine. …
- 3 Simple Ways to Shield Yourself from Computer and Cell Phone Radiation
With cell phones and computers becoming increasingly ubiquitous in society, many people are beginning to ponder the possibly negative effects …
- High Doses of Vitamin C Selectively Kills Mutant Colorectal Cancer Cells And Impairs Tumor Growth
Colorectal cancer is the third most common cancer in the United States (1). It’s also one of the most aggressive …
- 8 Natural Ways to Alleviate Pain
When you experience pain of any type, it can be enough to drive you to reach for some acetaminophen or …
- 2 Breathing Tricks To Help You De-Stress And Improve Digestion
Breathing is one of the most natural and essential acts for a living being. It’s an automatic reflex that requires …
- USDA Says: Okay To Ship U.S. Chickens to China for Cheap Processing Then Back Home For You to Eat
A new shipping and processing policy allowing chickens raised and slaughtered in the U.S. to be shipped to China for …
- One Simple Trick To Regrow Your Lettuce So You Never Have To Pay For A Salad Again
Salad is one of the most underrated meals. Most people think that it’s quite boring, but this meal’s potential is …
- CDC Confirms THIS Natural Oil To Be As Effective As DEET For Warding Off Mosquitoes!
It’s rare for large companies and organizations to endorse natural products, but it seems as though it’s finally occurred! The …