There’s no getting around it: pesticides are bad for you. They’re literally poison – toxins designed to kill pests and preserve food, that all too often end up in our own bodies, where they can wreak havoc with our entire system.
Although theoretically we should simply be able to wash these harmful chemicals off our food, studies have shown that this doesn’t always necessarily work; in many cases, pesticides can end up not only on the surface of our food, but inside our food as well. And vulnerable populations, like children and pregnant women, can end up bearing the brunt of the ill effects of these toxins(1).
Here are some of the lesser-known effects that long-term exposure to pesticides can have on our health:
1. Pesticides May Give You Allergies
There’s a strong correlation between the ingestion of pesticides, and the development of allergies and sensitivities to certain foods. The evidence is especially strong regarding pesticides that contain the chemical dichlorophenol, a chemical widely used in the production of pesticides and also the chlorination of water(2).
2. Pesticide Exposure Can Lead To Memory Loss And Dementia
“Poisoning by acute high-level exposure to certain pesticides has well-known neurotoxic effects, but whether chronic exposure to moderate levels of pesticides is also neurotoxic is more controversial,” one article states. But several studies have linked lower-level pesticide exposure to the development of neurological disorders like Parkinson’s and dementia, as well as “mild cognitive dysfunction, similar to that described for Gulf War syndrome”(3).
3. Pesticides Are Linked To Diabetes
While there is still research to be done in this area, many scientists and doctors feel that the link between pesticides and diabetes is well worth exploring. “Pesticide use has increased dramatically worldwide and the effects of pesticides on glucose metabolism are too significant for a possible diabetogenic link to be dismissed,” one review explains(4).
4. Pesticides Are Carcinogenic
Many commonly used pesticides are known carcinogens and tumor growth promoters, according to an early study from the journal Cancer Causes And Control(5). Epidemiologic studies have linked various types of pesticides to soft tissue sarcoma, malignant lymphoma, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, leukemia, lung cancer, breast cancer, and ovarian cancer.
5. Pesticides Disrupt Your Hormones
“Endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDC) are compounds that alter the normal functioning of the endocrine system of both wildlife and humans,” one review explains. “A huge number of chemicals have been identified as endocrine disruptors, among them several pesticides.”(6) Hormone imbalances can cause all kinds of problems, including difficulty losing weight, mood issues, and thyroid problems.
6. Pesticides Are Bad For Your Reproductive Health
Consistent exposure to pesticides is associated with an increased risk for recurrent miscarriages(7) and birth defects; it’s also bad news for male fertility as well(8). Bottom line: if you’re pregnant or trying to get pregnant, it’s in your best interest to avoid exposure to pesticides as much as possible.
Avoiding The Negative Impact Of Pesticides
As the serious health consequences of pesticides show, eating organic isn’t just a trendy phase – it’s your best defence against the harmful impact of pesticides. In fact, studies have shown that not only is less exposure to pesticides good for you, but organic foods are more nutritious as well(9). If you’ve been waiting for a reason to make the switch to organic produce, consider this your wake-up call.
If you, like many, can’t afford to always eat organic, try to avoid foods from the Environmental Research Group’s Dirty Dozen list. These are foods that contain high levels of pesticides even when washed(10).
- Undeniable Link Between Aerobic Exercise and Memory Will Make You Think Twice About Taking The Elevator
Researchers from Michigan State University have published a study that looked at the effect of exercise on the brain. We all …
- This Is What Happens To Your Body When You Get Aspartame Poisoning From Diet Sodas
You may have never heard about it but aspartame poisoning is very real. Also known under different names such as …
- Work Before Ten AM Is “Torture”: Here’s How To Have More Energy
Waking up in the morning is easy, but getting out of bed with energy is hard. Since we can’t create …
- Solar Panel Farm Grows 17,000 Tons Of Food Without Soil, Pesticides, Fossil Fuels Or Groundwater
Farming is probably the world’s oldest profession and something that is obviously universal to every culture and race in the …
- DIY Antiseptic Turmeric Cream Recipe- Helps Heal Cuts and Scrapes
Anyone living an active lifestyle knows how valuable antiseptic ointment and bandaids can be. Young families concur: cuts and scrapes …
- Widely Prescribed Drug Deactivates Stem Cells Responsible For Cellular Repair Causing Rapid Aging
Statins, the widely prescribed class of drugs said to lower “bad” cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart problems, has …
- Apple’s New ‘Wireless’ Headphones Emit Radiation … Right Next To Your Brain
Manufacturers of wireless technology continue to deny the toxicity of radiation emitted by their devices. Most consumers have yet to …
- This 3-Ingredient Face Mask Uses Turmeric And Is Great For Acne, Rosacea, And Dark Circles
This face mask is made simply, with just three ingredients, and can help brighten up the complexion, as well as …
- This Japanese Facial Massage Will Rejuvenate Your Skin And Make You Look 10 Years Younger
The techniques used in this massage stimulates the lymph nodes, thus speeding up the discharge of toxins and excess fluids …
- 3 Simple Ways to Shield Yourself from Computer and Cell Phone Radiation
With cell phones and computers becoming increasingly ubiquitous in society, many people are beginning to ponder the possibly negative effects …
- 5 Natural Ways To Get Rid of Headaches Fast
There are many different types of headaches caused by a number of varying factors. Everything from dietary changes to stress …
- What Hiccups, Ringing Ears, Popping Joints And A Whistling Nose Mean For Your Health
Sometimes, bodies make sounds that are loud and strange. Some of these sounds happen so often that we never stop …
- Fatigue, Vitamin Deficiencies, and Diabetes: 7 Health Problems that Your Hands are Warning You About
The eyes may be the windows to the soul but your hands may be the windows to your blood and …
- 6 Ways You’re Causing Your Own Memory Loss
Memory loss is a common side effect of aging. Most of us know that we’re supposed to stay mentally active, …
- 15 Ways to Fill Your Home With Positive Energy And High Vibrations
You have probably heard of the term chi (Qi). It is essentially the energy that gives life. This energy flows …