Sleep give our bodies a chance to clear toxins and recover for the day’s events.
This process can be made better –or worse- by your sleeping position.
How Your Sleeping Position Affects Your Health
As a rule of thumb, sleeping on your stomach is one of the worst positions if you’re trying to get a good night’s sleep. It’s even been associated with SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) (2).
Sleeping on your back is better, but may pose a health risk to people with breathing issues or back pain.
That leaves sleeping on your side.
Why Sleep On Your Side?
The Journal of Neuroscience actually published a study that found that sleeping on your side allows your brain to remove waste more easily. This reduces the build-up of Alzheimer’s-related plaques in the brain.
Which Side Is Best?
Many doctors tell pregnant women to sleep on their left side.
This position is said to improve blood flow to the heart, fetus, uterus and kidneys and takes pressure off the liver (3).
Patients suffering from Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease also sleep on their left sides to help minimize their symptoms.
In fact, holistic medicine calls the left side of the body “the dominant lymphatic side”. Sleeping on this side is said to better for filtering out toxins from the lymph nodes.
How To Start Sleeping On Your Left Side
Right Side Or Back Sleepers:
If you have trouble lying on your left side, try sleeping with your back to the wall, with a pillow against the wall or on either side. This will help keep your body propped up during the night.
Right Side Or Belly Sleepers
Lie down on your left side and keep a large pillow beside you. Place your left arm under the pillow and your right arm above. If comfortable, mimic this position with your legs as well. You should be effectively hugging the pillow so that you don’t roll onto your belly. You can also use an additional pillow to support your back to prevent rolling onto the other side.
Now that you know how to improve your sleep, the next step is making sure to get enough of it. One sleepless night can have negative effects on your body. Try to aim for 7-9 hours a night.
Note: If you suffer from heart conditions should be careful about sleeping on your left side as it can add unwanted pressure.
- Be Careful! Why Flip-Flops Are The Most Dangerous Summer Choice For Your Feet And Ankles
It’s no surprise that summertime is many people’s favorite season. With the ever-growing heat and sun exposure, our clothes get …
- 11 Unusual Breast Changes That Could Mean Danger
Approximately one in eight women in the United States will develop breast cancer in their lifetime. Eighty-five percent of women …
- USDA Says: Okay To Ship U.S. Chickens to China for Cheap Processing Then Back Home For You to Eat
A new shipping and processing policy allowing chickens raised and slaughtered in the U.S. to be shipped to China for …
- If Your Hair is Falling Out or You’re Cold and Tired All the Time – Check Your Iron Like THIS Immediately
Chronic fatigue can have multiple causes, including lack of exercise, dehydration and poor sleep quality. One of the lesser-known causes …
- Every Single Hour You Spend Watching TV Reduces Your Life Expectancy by 21.8 Minutes, Study Says
Your mother probably used to yell from the kitchen, “turn off that idiot box!” What great advice, for more reasons …
- Chewing Broccoli And Watercress Unlocks Natural Compounds That Kill Cancer Cells Within 24 Hours
You’ve probably heard of eating foods of every color of the rainbow throughout the day, but if you have a …
- Drink Tea Before Bed to Reduce Stress and Help You Sleep
With something as basic and necessary as sleep, it’s puzzling and troubling that so many people have problems with it. …
- California Senate Passes Bill To Stop Pharmaceutical Companies From Giving Gifts To Doctors
Pharmaceutical companies spend billions of dollars marketing drugs to doctors. But one state in particular takes the cake, California. That’s …
- How To Use Tomatoes To Get Rid of Varicose Veins
As you age, your skin begins to change in ways you probably won’t enjoy. Whether it be liver spots wrinkles …
- Taking a Whiff of These 10 Scents Can Relieve Stress Almost Instantly
Ever wonder why some scents make you feel relaxed or energized? It’s no coincidence and we have our olfactory system …
- 8 Things You’re Doing That Drive Your Doctor Crazy
With the availability of information constant and instant, many people are taking their health into their own hands, doing research …
- Mainstream Media Finally Admits U.S. Honey Is Contaminated With Glyphosate Weed Killer
When we think of honey, we think of a basic, sweet, nutritious superfood that is delicious, versatile, and a completely …
- Top 10 Morning Habits To Guarantee Goodness In Your Day
The morning is a time of hope: the day is young, and you have the power to make it what it …
- Massage THIS Oil On Your Wrists To SOOTHE Carpal Tunnel Pain In 4 Weeks Or Less
If you’re trying to ignore the sharp, shooting pain in your wrist right now, then you probably know the effects …
- Top 6 Reasons Why You’re Forgetful
Did you forget where you put your keys again? Maybe you can’t remember what you ate for dinner yesterday. Memory …